5 stocks

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by Abossy, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

Hypothetically say you had $100k to invest and your looking specifically at gold stocks. Not too highly spec, but the type you would be comfortable with say at least a 3 year horizon. What would be your 5?

Mine would be EVN, NST, BLK, SBM and RMS. BLK has been a bit of a worry but I think still has good upside.

PM likes this.
  2. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Newcrest would likely be one on my shopping list.

kilo likes this.
  3. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

NST, NCM, EVN, RRL, SLR

Probably in order of risk.

Ironically, I am currently holding EAR but it's in the bottom drawer and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I think I got conned on that one at the PM symposium last year :(

kilo likes this.
  4. kilo

kilo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

SLR was silver frosts Christmas pick 2015 figured he missed the boat when they hit 24 cents :rolleyes:

5. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeh, in 2015 I bought some at 13c and sold them at about 19c.....was happy for a couple of days but have been kicking myself ever since.

6. kilo

kilo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

SF was so disgusted with himself he emptied the trading account threw out the candle sticks and hung up his gloves.
    Reconing was such an obvious trade n too jittery to pull the trigger best give it away.
    RIP

BuggedOut likes this.
  7. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Afraid I can only put two at the moment: NST and RRL, and I'd put more than half in NST
    I'm caught in a bit of a downdraft of confidence right now about metals and miners, dont really know why, couple of negative articles probably.

8. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

It seems sentiment is down across the board small gains when gold was up a decent amount nearing $1300 big drops for small or flat movements down. Maybe a bit of manipulation or some nervous nellies who knows.

care to share thoughts on RRL? That's twice mentioned but don't know much about them. Mid cap but I assume higher risk than an NST?

9. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

@Abossy
    Hi, there's a thread on RRL: http://www.silverstackers.com/forums/index.php?threads/asx-rrl-regis-resources-ltd.15245/page-3

RRL had another positive looking Mar 2017 Qtrly

I'll take the lazy way and reproduce one post from the thread that gives the simple reasons for my sentiment. One thing not emphasised is that RRL pays the best dividend yield that I know of amongst the gold stocks - currently 4.3% on Friday's closing price, and that's franked:

"So RRL is currently the only gold stock I'm currently watching for a buy as a diversification from NST.
    Over 5 years RRL is easily the best quality of the alternatives to NST, using the simple backwards looking metrics that I do. I am only investigating those with Australian mines.

Comparison fy12 - fy16
    from comsec
    RRL
    Book Value ($): 0.53, 1.09, 0.64, 0.82, 0.96
    Return on Equity (%): 28.70, 27.00, -46.20, 21.20, 23.20

NST
    Book Value ($): 0.23, 0.26, 0.42, 0.55, 0.75
    Return on Equity (%): 23.20, 25.20, 15.80, 33.70, 36.90

RRL had a very bad fy14 year due to a flooding disaster during a low gold price period. In the subsequent two years it has recovered most of its book value and is turning a high ROE on that value.
    RRL has no long term debt to speak of, and has a very nice cash position albeit a third of NST's

Forward looking, RRL is finding reserves close to its mines at low cost, and looks to have strong future prospects along this line. Similar to NST in this regard. RRL'S fy16 report showed it has substantially increased its reserves after depletion. Again, similar to NST.

Price-wise, RRL looks a little more attractive. It has a similar P/E to NST, but pays a significantly better dividend yield. If you had bought RRL during the bad times at say $1.50, (it got lower) you'd be getting around 10% franked yield on that cost price now, with good reason to believe it will improve. The price to book of RRL is considerably less than that of Northern Star:
    P/B RRL= 3.44, P/B NST= 5.19"

Last edited: May 1, 2017