$37 trillion lost in DTCC BY HURRICANE SANDY.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by errol43, Sep 14, 2014.

1. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

How is it possible for hurricane Sandy to destroy $37 trillion in paper $ stocks and bonds and yet the system stays in place. :)

How could this possibly be?

Regards Errol 43

2. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

http://www.silverdoctors.com/dtcc-says-trillions-in-stock-certificates-damaged-in-sandy-floodwaters/

You used DTTC and it took me a few seconds to realize you meant DTCC. May have suffered damage is not the same as lost.

This happened two years ago and it isn't making news today that I am aware of. Not sure why this should be a real problem for anyone but the brokerage companies.

3. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Sorry...2AM HERE.. night owl getting zzzzz.It didn't make the news here at all that I can recall. $37 trillion, now that is a lot of Us $$$$$$$. CAN'T RECALL any panic in US markets? NOW WHAT DAMAGE would be done to paper if it was under water for one month? :)

Regards Errol 43

4. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

Possible that everything was also on data, thereby making the paper redundant.
    Even now, when you buy stocks, you never see the actual paper, all digits and numbers in cyberspace.

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Most stocks in brokerage accounts are held in street name and I am not sure if these are different. Either way, the brokerage company/SIPC would have had to make good on lost certificates. I know what you mean about lack of sleep. I am pulling an all nighter today and may not be hitting the sack until I have been up about 40 hours straight. Busy season sucks.