3.38ct Certified Blue Paraiba (copper bearing) Tourmaline

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by slappy70, Apr 23, 2016.

1. slappy70

slappy70 Member

This is a 3.38ct certified and appraised blue paraiba (copper bearing) tourmaline. This stone was sold to me as Brazilian This stone measures approximately 15.6 x 8.4mm. It was appraised back on 2010. Paraiba tourmaline have increased in value greatly since that time (and I believe the appraisal back then was way too low). This stone is very clean for a paraiba tourmaline and it has a nice deep blue color that is not very common for a stone of this size. These blue paraiba tourmaline are from my personal collection. I did not intend on selling them for a long time because prices continue to increase every year, howdever, I have some bills that need paid off. My loss is your gain. I'm asking $2750 USD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow are these really worth this much?

3. slappy70

slappy70 Member

The appraised value on this stone is far too low in my opinion. Copper bearing blue tourmaline can be worth as much as $15,000 per carat depending on color and clarity. So to answer your question, yes they are worth this much.

4. slappy70

slappy70 Member

some better pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

It's worth your while sending that to a higher rep lab. a ugl cert/appraisal does it no favours for me. Equally EGL. GIA and you would probably have it sold for more than you are asking already.

6. slappy70

slappy70 Member

Thanks for the advice, however, I have no desire to spend $350 (not including shipping) to send it off to GIA simply for them to say it's paraiba tourmaline when I already know that.
    All you need are a few simple gemological tools to make the identification on most stones (ie. a refractometer, dichroscope, a good 20x or higher loupe and some filters...).
    I do understand the GIA certificate is the best in the business, but for me it just doesn't make monetary sense (certificate cost would be approximately 15% of what I'm asking for the stone) to spend that much when I already know what the stone is. Are GIA certificates cheaper in Australia? If they were significantly cheaper, it might make sense to get it done.