2oz Lunar Snake 2001 Proof

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by xiki, Aug 29, 2011.

1. xiki

xiki New Member

Hi guys!

I realize that almost everything lunar is about the 2012 dragons at the moment, but as we wait for Sept. 1 to come around, I thought I'd post a question about a coin I recently added to my stack.

As I mentioned in my intro, I have few chances to go to any coin stores, so I do most of my shopping on the net. So I got very excited when one of my sources listed a 2 oz lunar snake from 2001 in proof condition. I still don't know if it got the box and any papers, or if it is only the coin, I will have to wait a few weeks untill I am home and get to see it. So, in the meantime, what do you think this one is worth, and does the value decrease a lot if it's only the coin without any certificate and its box?

Btw, this source has mostly proof coins, and I have bought from them in the past, and have been happy with my purchases. Still I'm wondering, in general, does the fact that the coins are in proof condition justify a bigger premium than normal bullion? And if so, how much bigger?

Just looking for some guidelines when deciding whether to jump on an offer or no...

2. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Yes, proof adds to the premium and remember the 2oz proof snake has just a 1,000 mintage so a rare beast indeed. Make sure it is in mint condition before buying with coa, outer box etc. Some people say they have a "proof" coin believing an uncirculated snake is proof when its not. The snake is also one of the more popular series 1 coins. I'll take a stab and say a series 1 proof snake if you held out for a good price could be worth $600 in the current market, especially in Europe.

3. xiki

xiki New Member

Wow, Matthew 26:14, that's quite a bit higher than i expected, although the seller specified it had 1000 mintage. If it turns out to be only the coin in it's plastic capsule, would you send it to one of those companies that grade coins to get the certification that it is indeed a proof coin and not just an uncirculated bu? I can't wait to see it. I probably won't be able to part with it anyway. I started out looking for bullion, and I am slowly but surely falling in the numismatic trap.