2017 1oz Silver Swan from Perth Mint, Mintage 25000

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by brisbane-coins, Apr 2, 2017.

1. justsilver

justsilver Active Member

My friend bought from Apmex for USD$24.61 each coin, equivalent to AUD$32.57 ( 2nd raised price from Apmex )

2. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

3. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Are these available from any dealers in Australia or all gone now?

4. kiona

kiona Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Certainly looks to be an attractive coin. I missed out on the feeding frenzy but if I get a chance to buy a couple I will.

What I wonder though, is if they make it into a series just how many different designs can you do with a swan? Seems it could be a bit limited?

5. 11471147

11471147 Active Member

you mean $33? who paid that little for the S2 lunar dragon? Where can I buy some at that price?
    The dragon doesn't work well as a relative example of what will/could happen to the swan, mainly because:
    - the swan hasn't had 16 coins of hype preceding it in a series (unlike the dragon),
    - no one really knew it existed a day ago (unlike the dragon),
    - 25,000 mintage vs 300,000 mintage,
    - spot price hasn't recently been anywhere near all time highs (unlike the dragon).

which means there are still probably no examples of a coin with similar variables falling in value over time.
    Yesterday a lot of people bought the swan coin around AUD35, including shipping. There's not a lot that would suggest their coins are going under AUD35 anywhere in the future... right?

6. barsenault

The mind of man knows no bounds. I'm sure they can come up with 10 or so beautiful designs. 1 swan or a couple, babies, etc...

I just can't believe how fast APMEX is selling these things for. If they weren't selling, they wouldn't be increasing prices, I don't believe. I think the next stop is 31.00. Wow. To know you could have got them for 24 a day ago, and now they approaching 30/31 mark...that's crazy. I wish I enjoyed that ride. It is a beautiful coin.

7. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

A quick google image search suggests to me that design wise they should be able to get at least 10 decent designs for an ongoing series. Single Swan different poses/angles, Lifemate Swans in various courting poses etc. mother with ugly ducklings trailing behind LOL

8. tdtwedt

tdtwedt Active Member Silver Stacker

Swans now sold out on APMEX website.

9. barsenault

Did you buy them all?

10. SilverSiren

ROFL more like "SOLD OUT" as in on hold with a new ad campaign in the works to justify the higher premium they're about to start charging ;-)

11. tdtwedt

No. But someone on another forum did call APMEX who confirmed they had sold 20,000 of the 25,000 mintage.

12. thecoinanalyst

thecoinanalyst Member

APMEX is showing 1102 left, but there numbers always keep changing, so who knows. If true they got 20K and sold that many, these were clearly done at their initiative. Seems the usual 10% remained down under, and 2500 went to Europe and a few to Canada. Once APMEX and the others are truly sold out for real, I don't see how these fail to hit $40 or so and probably a little higher after the others in the series come out. Not bad since I bought at $25.

13. SilverSiren

And what about the mint direct ones they'd listed yesterday? FYI APMEX isn't exactly known to be consistently truthful when people call them asking questions . . .

14. barsenault

The direct version are gone too. Who knows if they're playing games and creating artificial demand (??). All I know is, if their numbers were accurate, they must have sold 15000 in a day, if not more. It was nuts. Maybe they are out of supply?

I know this is my opinion, but I think the swans look better than these...http://www.apmex.com/product/114938/2017-australia-1-oz-silver-dragon-phoenix-bu and they're selling for like 32.00, and there are 50k minted, and I don't believe these will be series (?).

15. SilverSiren

I like them better than the D/P as well. Regardless, between the 2017-s proof silver eagle and swan quick sellouts, it's been a fun ride so far this week!

16. tdtwedt

I think you are right that they have a small percentage held back that they will sell for a much higher price. I do believe that most of their coins that they had were sold even as they increased the price over the last 2 days. Demand was strong for this coin.

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

18. Razz

Razz Member

How to hype a shitty coin my god children u spend precious time to hype youre aussie coin first 50,.000 dragon phoenix now 25000 swans next is 10.000 emus and then 5000 numbats perth is full off it and so are some members on this forum

19. SilverSiren

OooOOooh numbats? Are they related to wombats? And I thought I was enjoying this thread before! :lol:

20. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

hehe, don't be so dismissive. I know for a fact there are people in this very thread smart enough to cash in on the hype despite contributing to it :p