2015 Smithsonian Institution Baobao Silver Medal

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by itrainsdogsandcats, Jun 2, 2015.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Positive in what sense?

2. silverbullion

silverbullion New Member

Positive in the sense that legal tender enjoys wider acceptance. This while some see it as a neutral and some see it as a negative. The majority of collectors however see it as a positive. There is of course no right or wrong here. It is a matter of personal preference.

3. trozau

trozau Member

Point being made is that there are more coin collectors than medal collectors. Most coin collectors do not delve into medals and vice versa. But since there are more coin collectors, there is more sway in coin demand than medals.

4. mmissinglink

"Wider acceptance" meaning better chance of re-selling for a profit? If that's what you mean, then there should be no concern at all if one likes a coin design or not because liking a coin design doesn't mean a coin will be a good investment. There are many, many, many round pieces of metal with a fiat denomination stamped onto it which are widely not popular and are a poor investment. If you are buying certain coins because you feel that people "should buy what they like" then that's quite different than buying because it's a good investment. The point being, confusing likable with good investment potential may be a poor strategy for you or anyone that follows that advice.

I wish that all the coins I like were also coins that are seen in a "positive" light or "enjoy wider acceptance" but the truth is, if I were to count on that, I'd be disappointed too often.

In other words, if you like the 2015 Smithsonian Panda medal, and you assert that you do, then get it because you like it, don't forgo getting it because you think that less people will accept it because it doesn't have a fiat value stamped on it. You only live once!

Anyway, best of luck to you.

5. mmissinglink

I certainly don't deny that there are more coin than medal collectors, but one should be very careful to believe that just because it has a fiat denomination stamped onto it, that a round piece of metal will garner any meaningful demand....plenty of coins are losers in terms of commanding any sort of notable demand.

6. trozau

trozau Member

The same goes for medals. I am an equal opportunity collector. I acquire coins or medals I like. If I happen to hit a few that appreciate in value then I consider that a bonus. For collectors, the only thing that matters is that they are happy with their acquisition. Just saying that the more players in the field the more chances for appreciation (and that is something coins have over medals).

Edited to add: Additionally, I mitigate losses in my collection acquisition by sticking to mostly PM coins and medals. Win-win: I get to save for the future while expanding my collection.

7. mmissinglink

My whole point to silverbullion was to make him aware that there's a huge difference between buying some round piece of metal because you like it vs buying a round piece of metal because others may view it in a positive way. The two shouldn't be confused.

I too buy medals because I like them....not because others may desire or demand them. Some coins I do the same, others I buy because I believe they could be a good investment of my money. I don't buy a coin that I like and presume that others will demand it. Many of times, even if a coin seems to have high demand, I won't buy it if I don't like the coin, especially if I believe that in buying a popular coin, I am supporting very poor quality such as with the Globs of Old-Limp-Puss coins from the Perth Mint. There's no reason why I should be supporting a woefully inferior coin....it definitely encourages more of the same garbage.

8. trozau

trozau Member

One man's garbage is another man's treasure. Why do you think there are so many colorized coins, etc? There's a market for them from folks who like super high relief designs, antiqued finishes, colorized coins. Purist coin collectors frown upon them and flippers love anything at all that attracts enough attention for them to make money off. :|

9. silverbullion

silverbullion New Member

Yes, a better chance of re-selling for a profit, but it should not be an overriding factor. However, it is certainly a bonus, especially when one has a family to feed. This is why I stated: "everyone should buy what they like and like what they buy whether medal or coin."

Kindly note that I never claimed/stated/entertained/conveyed the idea that all coins should be lumped together in one group and pitied against medals. Neither did I claimed/stated/entertained/conveyed the idea that being legal tender is the Alpha and the Omega.

Needless to say, none of the above takes away from the fact that I can buy a coin/medal I like and still sit with a good investment.

10. silverbullion

silverbullion New Member

Your concern is based on the false assumption that the point was made that all coins are better than medals just because coins are legal tender. Nothing could be further away from the truth. For me personally, it is about buying something I like, whether coin or medal, but I do take factors into consideration that can potentially increase chances of seeing a return on my money (or at least keep the purchasing value of my money intact). Being legal tender is but one of many factors to consider. If I had the money and not a family to sustain, I would have happily bought a 2015 Smithsonian Panda medal. :cool:

11. mmissinglink

Yes, but that still doesn't mean that just because it has a fiat value stamped onto it that it is a better investment even though there are more coin collectors than medal collectors.

For me, whether there is a fiat value stamped onto a metal round or not, makes no difference....I buy what appeals to my sense of quality and aesthetics. That's what I call buying what I like, not buying what may be popular or desirable to other people.

I'm not saying one shouldn't buy a coin they hate but which is a coin that happens to be a popular coin but that one should not confuse buying what is a good investment coin with buying what they like...the two are very different approaches / strategies. And, if it so happens that the coin or medal we like and buy is also popular with others, then that's a plus. I don't assume that because I like a coin or medal that it will be a good investment and conversely, I don't assume that a coin that I see as being of terrible quality or aesthetically challenged (very unappealing) is a bad investment. I don't confuse the two dynamics.