2014 Wedge Tail Eagle availability

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by haploid23, Apr 8, 2014.

1. haploid23

haploid23 New Member

This coin is just stunning, and carries quite a premium. In the US, it's only available from govmint. Not sure how much the 1oz high relief sold for, but the 1oz proof is still currently $100. All other ones are sold out, but before it was out, here were the prices:

1oz gold high relief PF70 - $5,000
    1oz gold high relief PF69 - $4,000
    5oz silver high relief PF70 - $800
    5oz silver high relief PF69 - $600

Is this initial launch price at govmint, or did they price gouge at the end? When will Perth mint have these available, and at what price? And does anyone if this is a single coin from John Mercanti, or will there be a whole series released later?

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Won't be a sucker to buy any of those coins. Obviously prices marked way up!

3. db23

db23 Member

The 5oz is to be released in May, but will not be available to us in the US.

4. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Yes, a bit of a premium, but these prices fall in line with the 5oz high relief koala also. So relative to the past, it's so so bad, especially when this time it's for an autographed by the designer.

5. Audeamus

Audeamus Member

I'm just assuming that the 5oz will be the high relief and the 1oz low relief? Understanding that the 1oz high relief was a quick sellout these should do well. I cant see premiums have too much to do with it, from my experience the price for the desirable coins get set by the collectors. Choose the duds and then of course the premium hurts...But that's the sport of it!

The question is, will this become a bullion coin also?

Cheers Audeamus

6. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

This coin series confuses me. The 1 oz proof, 1 oz high relief and the 5 oz high relief were all available at govmint.com several months ago (I got all three). At that time, it seemed like it was not available in Australia. So now PM is releasing it again, this time only in Australia? And the total mintage limits are still in effect? These are really beautiful coins, my personal favorites, but this marketing has me scratching my head. Is this common, are there other examples? :/

7. Audeamus

Audeamus Member

As I understand it hellcat, the coins are not being re-released as such and the original quoted mintages will stay the same for the 2014 coin. I think you will find that an allocation of the original mintage is what is being sold by Perth Mint. This mintage will not be for sale to US customers by the PM due to the agreement with GovMint (USA) who originally I believe commissioned the coin. What is not clear, is what the allocation of the original mintage for AUS and the USA is/was? If I am correct, then I think you will find that GovMint would have had exclusive sales of the coin for a period before being released in Australia, at least in the case of the 5oz high relief and the 1oz proof.

What would be interesting to know, is whether the coin is the beginning of a series and/or whether there will be a bullion version.

This practice is not uncommon. Merit Gold (USA) did a similar thing with the SS Gairsoppa (Britannia) coin last year. It is only now that it can be purchased through the Royal Mint (UK).

For what its worth, I belief the 5oz high relief is a stunning coin, The best I have seen in a long time, as is the 1oz high relief.

8. Hellcat6

Hellcat6 New Member

Thanks Audeamus. I wonder if that strategy was public knowledge all along. Suppose serious stackers knew it would work that way. I was and am still learning. Assume that this is designed to maximize profit and build interest and is a tried and true method. Some of the high prices would seem to reflect that. But man, this is a nice looking coin! Thanks again.

9. Audeamus

Audeamus Member

Given that all the examples released in the US are slabbed PF69-70 (as far as I am aware) they would have all been early strikes with the latter struck coins unlikely to make this grade they will be released in Australia as ungraded proof coins. They have milked the grading on these coins in the US market for the higher premium. I think the mints tend to hedge their bets a bit and do not want to pre-release the allocation of the coin in case this changes mid run. From what I understand the Perth Mint used this as an opportunity to break directly into the US market.

The problem is, it becomes hard to tell how popular a coin is when they trickle the release out. Either way the mintage is low, the coin great, so from where I sit, it will do well either way.

Yep, always learning. Don't try and guess the mints though, they have never been transparent!

Good luck.

10. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Based on all the info I've gathered from various threads, blogs, and what I've seen being sold, here's what I've concluded, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of it:

So far, only the 1oz high relief ungraded has been available directly from Perth mint. The 1oz proof and 5oz high relief will be available later on. However in the US, they all have been released already. But it seems like the 1oz and 5oz high relief were only available in graded PF69/70 and autographed by John Mercanti. I don't believe there were any raw ungraded high relief 1oz or 5oz that govmint sold. The 1oz proof is available only in raw ungraded, unsigned form from govmint.

Now this also leads to speculation whether Aus customers that buy directly form will be able to purchase the PCGS graded and signed 5oz, or if only the raw 5oz high relief will be sold from Perth.

11. Audeamus

Audeamus Member

I understand much the same beanz, The Perth Mint also released the 1oz gold high relief that has done very well. I do not believe the gold coin was graded prior to sale like the 5oz HR silver coin. I'm not sure if Govmint even sold the gold coin?

From what I can gather, only the 1oz HR and 5oz HR silver coins were graded and signed by Mercanti and made available through Govmint exclusively. The 1oz proof was not pre-graded and signed like the former two coins, the only ungraded coin made available in the US.

I do not belief the coins sold by Perth Mint will be graded. If they do, it would be a first to my knowledge. There is speculation that PM will produce a bullion version sometime down the road. This has not been confirmed or denied by PM...

12. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

Does anyone know whether Aus will have the 1oz high relief back in stock at the same time they make the 5oz available?

13. Altima

Maybe all the 1oz High Relief coins were shipped to GovMint and Perth Mint only had a limited allocation.

So you could try your luck on eBay instead.

14. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

15. Altima

Possibly dealers? Won't that mean its false demand?

16. picturefun

picturefun Member

My understanding for this is different:

Govmint originated the idea and asking mercanti to design and has a contract with PM, specifically required out of the 10K HR 1oz coins, they get the First 5,000 a couple of months earlier. And then they sent ALL 5000 for PCGS grading, looks like Vast majority of them are graded as 69 and 70, around 300 or so are lower grade, so they named "MS", i.e. Mint state (= grade 68-65). Quite a few sold on Ebay at very high premium. I bet buyers do NOT know what does MS means.

And the rest of 5000 1oz HR were sold/distributed by PM, to the rest of the world except the U.S. and they are GONE, period, except in secondary market.

for 1oz Proof mercanti Eagle coin, the TOTAL mintage is 5,000, and entirely went to govmint. PM does NOT have it.

However, PM will issue plenty of BU 1oz later in the year.

Same thing for 5 oz HR, govmint got them back in Feb., and sold plenty, looks like they are gone too. While PM sell them in May, to the rest of the world except the U.S.

It is NOT trickle release. It is in the contract bet. PM and govmint, so govmint has Exclusive right for early sales for the U.S. market.

17. picturefun

picturefun Member

not sure why do you say it is false demand?

Some Rich investors like to horde numismatic coins. They bought them in big quantity, put them in the Safe, forget about it. They buy them for Investment, for value preserve, NOT for flipping.

So the amount bought by them are OFF the limit for other collectors.

This will create a tight supply.

In case of NO investors interest, a mere 2000 Mintage could appear a lot.

But in case of Rich investors hording certain coins, even 10K mintage appears not enough.

18. picturefun

picturefun Member

Govmint got 5000, period

PM got the other 5000, which were sold/distributed to the rest of the world except the U.S

19. iluvbeanz

iluvbeanz Member

No, you're wrong on some of these points.

2) PM did not get 5000 1oz HR, they got at max 2000. All 1oz HR from govmint were sold pregraded, there were no option to buy raw ungraded HR coin. Perth only sold raw ungraded 1oz HR coins, no pregraded coins were available to buy. If you look at the previous link I posted (HERE), you can see about 8k of the 10k max mintage were graded. This means that only ~2k are ungraded, which is what Perth got (not 5k coins).

3) We don't know how many Perth or govmint has, but we do know 5k was max mintage. If PM does not have it like you claimed, why is it available to buy directly on their website? It was selling for $99 AUD before it was out of stock (reference).

4) This is only partially true. Insider info ;)

5) Similar to the 1oz HR, govmint only sold pregraded 5oz HR, while PM only sold non-graded 5oz HR. Although, it's possible that 5k coins were allocated each (PM and govmint) since the graded PF69/70 were less than 5k.

20. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

Just curious... Those ungraded ones from Perth Mint (released at a later date than GovMint), are they the rejects after GovMint sends most of the coins for grading?