2014 Super returns

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by noah, Mar 20, 2014.

1. noah

noah Member

2013 brought some solid high growth gains. 2014 seems on track to deliver some sound returns as well given we don't get the market jitters.

Any thoughts on post financial year switching into more conservative unit options. 2 years of sound high growth gains, can it get back to pre GFC?

My thoughts are to switch units after the next market high any thoughts or advice by members?

Stock market direction going into latter part of 2014 and into 2015?

The market sell off dips we have seen around May each year since the GFC, any correlation to super funds or the normality of investors and institutions clearing their positions before June 30?

2. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

I really dont think anyone knows man.....Except the ones running the show.....Thers nothing WE can do about the situation.......Just keep your fingers crossed thers no major turmoil soon. ;)

3. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is interesting Q.

Industry super fund is likely to yield a solid return this FY.

I have been thinking the next move ..... Maybe change to cash term deposit rather than share by jul 01? Street noises say be wary in Sep/Oct this year. Some say 2015 is going to be a turbulence in Oz economy.

So flipping a coin? :D

4. noah

noah Member

If you look at the historical all ords chart since the GFC you see a pattern of significant dips just prior to the super books being squared off. Then the market goes for another gallop after June 30. Last year 20%+ on super returns, this year is shaping up for 20%++. Historically we can count on 2 consecutive years of +ve returns on a high growth fund.

I agree with you, I am ready to convert my units to a less aggressive, then maybe cash in the latter part of this year as the economy heats up.

Would be interesting to see if I can flick the high growth units for the conservative just prior to the anticipated dip.

5. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You would get a better return from something like Telstra shares which are currently paying a 5.5% dividend compared to about 4% for a term deposit. Even if the sharemarket sells off TLS is very defensive. I'm liking the energy sector at the moment with companies such as Santos, Origin and Oil Search having projects coming online in the next 12 months which should increase profits, reduce debt and increase dividends. Santos is still pretty cheap but is climbing atm the others not so much. Also looking at infrastructure that pays a dividend that is defensive like APA, DUE and ENV. Liking quality healthcare too. Own due diligence and all that.

6. noah

noah Member

Yes agree...have had telstra tucked away for awhile and santos has been good to me for a very long time...amongst others.

Post GFC took the punt put everything into high growth super units and luckily it has paid off very well. But the run won't last. Feeling the jitters at the moment with the market. Some predictions say new record pre GFC highs, others say grab the flack jackets and bunker down for the 'correction'. Let's hope we break thru the 5500 and continue up on sound market fundamentals.

Who knows, I think a bit of luck and alot of cautious investment decisions in this area are currently needed. But at the end of the day, every week the bullion stack gets bigger, that has to be a good thing.

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

A paper profit and a paper loss are only real when you 'sell'.

Our son does a lot of boasting about having a million bucks in Superannuation waiting for him.

Not if it does a 1929!

OC

8. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wondering If It is too late for energy stocks. Many of them have recovered 50-60% from their bottom, included santos n origin.

9. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I got in before their current prices. I still believe Santos has a bit more of a run in it. BPT could be a good play