2014 Budget

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by aleks, May 12, 2014.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

To be fair, a bunch of that is rote memorisation and I think that doesn't have as much value when we have things like Google.

I personally have found the ability to self-learn the most valuable skill. Once I got a handle on that I was able to teach myself a lot more than I ever learnt at either school or uni. In the age of the internet, where facts can be looked up virtually instantly, the ability to critically analyse information is more useful in my opinion.

I agree on most of what's been said about education so far though. It needs a huge overhaul. But the thing is it never should have got to that point. It should be able to change as needed to match people's actual needs. If the customers needs aren't being met, if they aren't getting value, then the provider should face the threat of other competitors offering better services and ultimately bankruptcy if they don't get their act together. No such threat exists today. Education services are largely to provide for the needs of the people working in the industry, not so much those who actually use the services.

EDIT: and just to add, I think humans are learning machines. We want to learn about our world, but the school system as it exists discourages people from that and puts them off. I think when most people actually discover the joy of learning things they enjoy it. Too many get put off early in life though.

2. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

Word for today metacognition

3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is a beaut.
    It confirms my view that the budget is ideological and that Abbott is incompetent.
    He should have come up with a better answer than 'well you guessed the NBN'.
    Talk about hand your opposition the ammunition.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Abbott is incompetent. :D

You'll get a kick out of this.

10 January 2009 - Peter Costello

[​IMG]

5. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How?

Triage will take care of it.

Um, what does this mean then?

6. JulieW

Come on! No study or modelling, just 'it seemed a good idea at the time'. I thought Rudd had show the results of that sort of nonsense. Insulation anyone?

Triage - have you been to an emergency department lately? They really need a whole lot of sprained ankles and rashes presenting.

Medicines - I expect the point is that there was no rationale beyond 'make them pay'.

Howard managed to do unpopular things and drag the votes along despite that because he was a politician. Abbott hasn't a clue. That's the overall point. Just shouting back 'well you did it with the NBN' is hardly moving forward, it's just saying 'yes we're the same as the last mob, guessing'.

7. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think you might become sorely disappointed in the next couple of years Jules, your infatuation and obvious hatred of Abbott is but barely disguised under the thin veil of supposed misanthropy you profess to have. Multiple daily quoted post's from the Guardian the Age and a plethora of other leftist leaning sources posted with gleeful abandon with no care for actual fact at all make me start to think that such a monotonous diet of diatribe maybe affecting your hitherto sensibility. You are starting to read more like a leftist machinator day by day.

8. wrcmad

Yes. When the cupboard it bare, it is always a good idea at the time to cut expenses.

My Mrs has continually worked in various Emergency Depts for 20 years. Like I said, triage will take care of the sprained ankles, and they will walk away by themselves after 5 or 8 hours.... just the same as they do now.

Yep.... about time. Like I said - when the cupboard is bare.....
    And I fully support a user pays system.
    I'm sick of paying for them. :p

9. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

With a doctor in my circle of associates and the stories they give I'm glad that the co-payment (not a tax) may stop people from attending bulk billing GP's demanding antibiotics for common cold/viral infections, to complain of mosquito bites, or just needing someone to talk to - that I'm paying for.

No problem taking up the doctors' time with that when YOU pay for it yourself.

10. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

may as well get a gun and shot the poor weak people it would be more humane :)

11. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

The health system if there for when something actually medically wrong...When nothing is wrong, don't charge it to the public purse.

12. JulieW

You're right S.C.
    Too much schadenfreude lately.

13. southerncross

Your truly one of the best Jules :D XX

14. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

won't catch me going to the Dr unless I really have too people get sick and die when they go there :) plus they are just glorified drug dealers anyway :D

15. southerncross

Just on the topic of education and medication.

We went along to our second youngest's (of five) parent teacher meeting recently and were advised by our girls yr 4 teacher that she feels she may have ADD, not ADHD but specifically Attention Deficit Disorder and we may want to have her seen by a Doctor.

Why ? Because she daydreams in class and is slow to finish set written work. Same (cough cough) Catholic Private school since prep, has never been bought up as an issue before with any other teacher prior to this. Top 5% of the class in maths and science subjects but slow/er to formulate written exercises, "Nothing wrong with her brain at all but she just takes too long getting it down on paper". (exact words) She is still in the top 10% of the class results wise with literacy and comprehension and can read and write fluently up to three syllables more times than not and self corrects but according to this Biatch she might want a visit to the Doctor "just to check things out"

I'm a bit worried, she wanted a "proper" microscope for her 7th birthday, hates barbie doll's, "pink girly crap" and Justin Bieber, loves Dancing, gymnastics, riding quad bikes, horses, and camping/fishing. She's interested as to what is inside a steer or pig when we slaughter one and wants to look and touch, not so much poultry anymore as she knows what's inside of them and has helped pluck and gut a few now.

But sheesh what to do ? Maybe we should take her along to a doctor and see if we can get some medication to sort her out huh ? Maybe then she could concentrate a little bit more in grade 4 and climb into the top 2% , maybe it's our fault we have a child who is underperforming? Maybe we as a Family need to get some counseling and try to see where we are going wrong, I mean I just don't know how we are going to explain this to the rest of the family ? Her younger sister start's prep next year, maybe we should get her along to a doctor and get her sorted now before this happens to her as well ?

I just don't know where I went wrong, maybe it was the coloured papers I used on all those joint's all those years ago and they affected my sperm? I've spoken to my daughter about it, Not the sperm...or the coloured papers on the joints, she is 9 FFS what were you thinking ?

But about the alleged ADD learning disability described by her yr 4 teacher, "yeah english, I don't mind it but I like to think about it first, sometimes there's a lot to think about.

16. wrcmad

^^ This is violins accompanying leftist rhetoric.

^^ This is reality for most, and why the user should contribute. :)