2014 Brass Nanjing 'Two Lovely' Pandas VIDEO

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by barsenault, Apr 18, 2015.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Wow! Great video. Thanks for highlighting the beauty of these medals. As 'keep on' said, I'd rather spend on value, spend on something tangible vs. other stuff out there!

They're coming out with a matt version of this medal?? Nice!! Only 30 pieces? Nice. How many will you get? If you happen to get a few, can you share with us? When do you think you'll get the product? 30 pieces only??? Wow. Those are going to be some nice pieces, and I'm sure highly sought after. This means there can only be 30 complete sets. I have all 3: silver, copper and brass. I can't wait until you get me one of the matt/antique brass and copper. Sweeeet.

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I kinda like that....maybe I should adopt that rule! :)

I think my thickest medals might be the brass & copper set of the 2013 Great Wall from Shanghai to Jiayu Pass ( http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-62267-chinese-medals-silver-isn-t-the-only-composition.html ). Those medals are uber-ultra relief and what's even more incredible, they are designed to fit perfectly together to make one massive fat medal. I've never seen such a design like that before....incredible.

3. mmissinglink

I agree with everyone else who commented on the video...well done. I really like the way the pandas are depicted on this medal design....high relief and so much better than the 1 oz Panda coins in my view. Congrats to all who have purchased these lovely medals. For the moment my wallet is maxed out and I can not buy any more, but if ya'll just leave one medal then at least when I can finish paying for the medals I've already purchased, that one ya'll left alone may find a good home with me. :)

4. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I'm a bit of a vintage bar collector. Poured, cast, minted, extruded.

But pretty selective, not only re: the particular type, but also the individual condition.

I don't go too nuts with price-tags, though. Do I really need a 4-oz Engelhard, for example? Too rich for my budget. But quite content with the Tier 3's & 4's.

I also buy some modern bars which I like & think might have some collectability factor decades down the road. The numi bars of tomorrow, if you will. Hopefully.

Certain bars from the past 40 years or so have come a long way. Once considered generic, now can possibly fetch some nice premiums.

I think there will always be a market for them, and seems like it has grown that much more. I see that continuing. Have to be selective with purchases, though. And in the area that I play in, tied closer to spot price than say, Chinese medals are.

There's a YouTube video showcasing an old original bar from the Comstock days -- produced in 1872 (the bar, not the video :p ). Pretty awesome.

In another hundred years, I can see that sustained desirability of say, Engelhard & Perth Mint bars from the 1970's/80s.

As exquisite & eye-popping as the Chinese medals? No. But I believe in diversification, for various reasons -- as long as you enjoy the pieces, yourself.

Yes, earlier I made a bit of a crack on "silly" kilo bars. However, it's important to distinguish between crappy-looking bars that nobody will really want in 20 years & never command a great premium & will probably get melted down sooner rather than later, compared to the nice desireable, popular ones that have the eternal "it" factor.

Of course, not to mention compared to these beautiful drool-worthy Chinese medals..

(We really need a drooling / mouth-watering emoticon, admins! :D )

5. mmissinglink

I think you make a strong case Gatito. When I use the term "blob" I don't think that it's a big mystery that the term as I use it is slightly unflattering toward common, non-denom bars...common really being the operative word. There are silver bars that are uncommon and rather cool looking and clearly people are willing to pay (significant) premiums for many of the uncommon bars.

Poured and cast bars come to mind for many uncommon silver bar fans but there are also silver "art bars" that are uncommon and have great designs, are quite collectable, and can come with a fairly high premium.

For example, some of the silver art bars produced by the Patrick Mint in San Francisco are highly collectable and some fairly scarce. The quality of these bars is generally quite excellent. There are other mints that have produced excellent quality art bars and so the San Francisco Mint is not the only one...just the first one that comes to my mind.

I have seen other posts in the SS forum on art bars so I know that are others on here who also appreciate stuff like that. Buying silver shouldn't always be dull and unexciting. :)

6. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thank's. I still try to learn the video taking from you.

I have my omp Brass and cooper matt at home this week. Will only release the photo or video next few weeks.

7. andrewlee10

99 means longevity in Cantonese,

100 is the last no of the coa.

8. andrewlee10

The mammoth is the ultra high relief type. BUT I am not convince to buy it.

9. andrewlee10

I will look at bar if I have extra money.

You and Gatito have tempted me to do my homework.

10. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

barsenault, please prepare one of the guest-rooms.. :p