2014 Australian $1 Coin ( MOB of Roos Design ) news

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by JamesG, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Downies

Downies New Member

Hi Scope,

Orders are already being sent out so if you purchased one/any you should have it shortly.

Kind regards,

Renee

Hi Serial,

I'm afraid for security reasons it's company policy not to disclose stock quantities. We apologise for any inconvenience this might cause.

Kind regards,

Renee

2. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thank for responding Renee.
    I am more interested in how many you have handled so when you have sold them all it would be awesome if you could tell us how many you released into the wild :)

3. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

so the fact that the mint roll only 5,000 is confirmed?

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have never come across a slabbed $1 coin either, nor have I wanted to slab one, mostly because of the cost and the effort involved. Most people will be in the same boat so an actual slabbed coin might be worth something.

But...

What about all the others, the MS67 and below? I doubt you would get much of a premium over raw coins for them, you might get a bit extra because it is in a slab but a 'low' grade probably wont recoup its money and will have to be added onto the price of the higher grades.

You would probably have to open up the roll, pull out any obviously damaged coins, send the rest in and hope. Whatever you get back will have to be sorted out and you will set the benchmark for the prices. Either people will pay for the cost of slabbing to get a guaranteed MS69-70, or they will take the risk and buy a roll.

I wouldn't want to spend that on a coin but it isn't unreasonable.

5. chicken12

chicken12 Member

Only slabbed I have seen is the 2000 Mule

6. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perhaps PurplePenny might chime in re the slabbing,i think its worth it

7. Downies

Downies New Member

Hi Bullion Baron,

I'm not certain when any damage occurred, but it was most likely during an internal phase of the fulfillment process, so the responsibility lies with us and not the RAM.

Unfortunately, due to the unusual and restricted nature of the release, there just isn't any more stock available outside of the initial dealer offer. We've limited the impact to customers as much as we can, trying to provide as many customers with this item as possible, but we were forced to reduce some orders. While we reserve the right to modify orders as a condition of sale, it's definitely not something we ever want to actually put into practice.

I unreservedly apologise for any inconvenience. This is an extremely unfortunate situation given the care we took to monitor sales and avoid overselling and, frankly, I feel terrible letting customers down.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Renee

8. Downies

Downies New Member

Hi Bullion Baron,

I'm not in a position to take photos, and wouldn't be allowed to share them if I were for security reasons. From time to time, oversells have happened on hot products which are actively working to eliminate with the introduction of our new stock system especially if we uncover damaged goods. As a whole these incidents are far less common than they once were. I understand you are upset, and I understand your scepticism, and we will continue to do what we can to make things right. Part of my presence on this forum is to help clear the air on these things, as we're aware of the issues for collectors. If you have any further feedback about your order, feel free to contact me via PM or [email protected].

Kind regards,

Renee

9. Theox

Theox Active Member

Hi Renee, are you expecting anymore 2014 $1 mob of roos rolls to be released?

And would anyone know the mintage of the 2014 $1 mob of roos "S" counterstamp version? Also how this variation come about?
    As a newbie do you think the S version is worth the additional cost?

Thanks for any feedback!!!

10. Kermit

Kermit New Member

The Mob of Roos "S" counterstamp was limited to 5,000 and was part of the celebrations of the 30th birthday of the $1 coin.
    They were stamped in Sydney at a pop-up store on the 8th of May this year.

Info from the RAM:

"To celebrate three decades of the $1 coin, featuring Stuart Devlin's Five Kangaroos design, the Mint is packing up its mobile press and heading to Sydney for a special pop-up store. We're giving customers the chance to push the button themselves and stamp the 'S' on one of these coins, giving collectors a rare coin and an even rarer story to tell about how it was created.

Before 1984, we wouldn't say "a gold coin donation," now it's a common catchcry for fundraisers. Since the introduction of the $1 coin helped boost the value of charitable donations and with the coin's birthday coinciding with the Cancer Council's Australia's Biggest Morning Tea in May, we're donating $1 from the sale of each coin to the charity.

We're producing a limited mintage of these coins; just 5000 will be sold for $10 each and will only be available from the Mint through this pop-up store.

You will be able to find us on the Queen Victoria Building forecourt, corner of George and Druitt Streets between 10am and 4pm or until sold out on Thursday 8 May 2014. As we want to make sure as many people as possible have a chance of getting this coin, there will be limits on how many can be purchased and/or struck."

11. Downies

Downies New Member

Unfortunately, due to the exclusive release of these rolls (only available from a recent dealers forum) we are unable to obtain more and we do not believe any more will be released for 2014

As Kermit has already mentioned, the RAM struck 5,000 of the S Counterstamp coin at a recent pop up minting stall in the Sydney CBD. The coins are not available anywhere else so there is an argument for the additional cost.

12. elninjo

elninjo New Member

Hi Renee
    Can you tell us how many were damaged?

13. thepurplepenny

thepurplepenny Active Member Silver Stacker

We won't be getting any graded either for re-sale or for our own collections. There's a bit of debate whether the coins out of recent rolls will slab up very well anyway. Most recent rolls have had rubbish quality coins and you might expect these 2014 rolls will be no different. But the 2014 rolls are rolled in-house (unlike the commemorative 20c/50c rolls of earlier this decade) and presumably subject to less material handling. So they *might* be better. Given that there's no other way to get the 2014 MOR other than when they are released into circulation the rolled coins are still likely to be the best source for the best grade coins. Regardless, there's still not much of a market up-take for slabbed recent-date decimals.

14. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

seen someone found one in their change in the other thread on here so they are out there and that's a good thing :)

15. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

yep we will never know on how many rolls were done but 10% were rolled on those figures so yep stash em for a few years they will thin out by then with dealers market dumping for the quick profit prices plummeted so hopefully it was just people buying for their collection and won't come back on the market.

but reading between the lines many are holding several for sale into the future so time will tell as they say :D

16. libertadiac

libertadiac Member Silver Stacker

Why are 1968 so desirable?

17. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Mintage below 20 million and the oldest so probably fewer around in good condition at a guess.

18. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

Looks like the price for the 2014 mint rolls is picking up again. Seem to be going for around $60 posted on ebay at the moment.

19. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is there a common ground i regards in how many rolls have been opened? Ie like a depreciation value?

I have see personally around 30 rolls have been opened. Would it fair to say 5% has been opened?

20. JamesG

JamesG Member Silver Stacker

Hi

in regards to rolls opened i have just check on our side we opened about 200 rolls

hope this helps a bit

James