2014 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver - Hottest Year yet!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by GreyGhost, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Bobby Woodlawn

Bobby Woodlawn New Member

I think Arch is the best looking so far. I am not really feeling Dunes. I think Everglades will be the Hot ticket, this year. -bw

2. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

I was in from the start and took the entire 2010 ride from the git go. That was crazy! Anyway, I stopped picking up both the bullion and "P" versions after 2012. I did pick up a PCGS SP 70 FS Gettysburg from MCM at the end of 2012 for $1100 which seemed awful pricey but there is only a pop of 78 so I took a shot. Needless to say they don't show up on the bay very often but I saw where one just went for $3581 (7 different bidders). Now that is crazy! Pops for other PCGS SP 70 FS: Hawaii 341, Acadia 194, El Yunque 339, Denali 292, Chaco 230, Chickasaw 149.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-P-Gett...16?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item1e8f0f407c

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

SP70....America The Beautiful silver perfection !

4. mmissinglink

Pop 78 of a hot 5 oz silver series is dynomite ...sounds like you made a very good investment. Congrats!

5. JMelton

JMelton New Member

I only have the Great Smoky Mountains proof. Being from Tennessee and living about an hour away I thought it was a must but I'll be in Denver when the Dunes one is released so I'll probably try to grab that one too. They do look really good in your hands.

6. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

Even a blind squirrel...........

7. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

They are sweet coins for sure. One of the tripping points has been the types of 5 ozers produced. One is the bullion and the other is the vapor blasted "P" version which is considered a "Specimen" coin (SP 70, SP 69 etc.). To date the US Mint has not produced a Proof 5 oz. ATB. The "P" is the mint mark. The bullion version does not have a mint mark and this is an excellent way of telling which version you're looking at especially if the photography is iffy. No "P" is a bullion version.

I have to say the recent coins such as GSM are great looking coins!

8. JMelton

JMelton New Member

Ah ok then. I just call it proof because it's the non bullion version in the mint packaging with COA. Knew the finish was different, didn't realize the difference between specimen and proof.

9. mmissinglink

When I first learned of this series (in late 2012) I was only familiar with the specimen version. It was not till about 6 or so weeks later that I realized there was a bullion version. Being that this was such a unique coin size for the US Mint to produce, I felt that in time the added premium I paid for the specimen version over what I would have paid for a bullion version of the same design is going to be more than made up by the higher premium that collector demand was going to bring in when I or my kids decide to sell at some point in the future.

Now that the US Mint has allowed a discounted subscription price for the specimen version, it makes that reasoning a little stronger as the cost gap is diminished.

10. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

Looking at mintages to date and sensing an upswing in ATB popularity I decided to pick up some additional Denali's as an investment. It is 3rd lowest in mintage (15,225) to date and is currently going for $300+ on the bay. The 5 lowest mintages for the "P" version are 1. Hawaii 14,863, 2. Acadia 14,978, 3. Denali 15,225, 4. Chickasaw 16,827, 5. Chaco Canyon 17,146. A pretty tight grouping, especially the first 3.

I'm seeing this series aging like a fine wine