2012 Australian $2 Circulation coin NEW DESIGN

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by JamesG, Nov 1, 2012.

1. JamesG

JamesG Member Silver Stacker

Hi all

Just would like to tell all you would be collectors to look out for the new Australian $2 Poppy Designed coin. There is a circulated version of this coin LOOK out for them in circulation it might be worth something in the future in uncirculated condition.

what does it look like???

here it is

[​IMG]
    2012 poppy $2 coin

Why it this so good to collect????

1. it is $2 .. you can find in circulation

2. SINCE 1988 when $2 coins came out there has not been a change in design until now

3. only this year poppy design, then back to the normal $2 design

so what are you waiting for ?? NOT out yet :D .. will be around November - December but keep your eye peeled out and look for them in UNCIRCULATED condition. THE KEY IS TO FIND THEM IN UNCIRCULATED CONDITION FOR KEEPING

Im excited are you? probably not ,but i am :p

There is 3 versions of this coin

1. $2 None coloured version , this will be released for circulated use
    2. coloured RSL release - mixed news on this as this coin going to be sold at the RSL clubs.. all i can find out is that its going to cost $10-$13 dollars they call it a donation. or you can send away for one at the canberra RSL Branch phone number 62487199 its $10 + $5 postage

3. is what all the dealers and Royal Australian Mint will be selling C-mint mark $2 coloured coin $12.95 in a folder

hope this helps anyone looking to collect.

thanks for looking

James

2. 8-Balls

8-Balls Member Silver Stacker

Already ordered one from the mint and got some mates looking for the rsl ones and going to hit up my local banks for the circulated one

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for that! Just in time for Rememberance Day!

My $2 collection is very dull!

The only modern Australian Numismatics that I am actively involved in is collecting coins out of circulation, I don't buy the mint sets anymore, too expensive!

Most of these offerings can be bought in rolls, I wonder if that will be the case with these ones. If they do then it will lower any value of the uncirculated coins but $2 for a $2 collectable has to be the best value you can get.

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Good to see, as the old $2 coin really doesn't have a lot to crow about in the Numismatic world. I don't bother with them either. I have made a set from circulation which is in good/unc condition is probably only worth face value anyway.

This would be a good flipper or wait several years. I don't see any big returns from it. However it will be the key in the series. So one way or another get them while you can. Trip to a few banks looks in order.

5. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

You can order from banks but there is a small premium. Just call up and ask to have some delivered to your local branch. Not sure if you can request just 2012 only though. So may be a bit of a lucky dip.

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well intrinsic value is next to nothing so you would be relying on them being the key coin in a series that no one collects because there is nothing to collect.

I don't have a crystal ball but...

If people get excited by this coin and are happy to pay more than face value for it from the RAM then expect more of them, many more!

Look at what happenned to the humble dollar coin

[​IMG]

I am surprised that there aren't more of the 20 cents coins around, I would expect the RAM to kill that market before moving onto the next...

7. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I just did a quick run around the banks on my street and they said that they mostly get them in bags not rolls - damn it.

8. shadowmage

shadowmage New Member

Maybe a bit early here, but are there any indications of mintage numbers?

9. JamesG

:)

lets do a comparison

2 grams of silver = $2 at the current silver price.

lets say silver doubles in price ( eg spot $62.34AUD)

your 2 grams of silver is = $4

ok lets look at some circulation coins

1966 australian round 50c piece,

in 1966 this 50c piece is = 50c

now it is $11.50

am i cheating :p

but on a serious note if you have alook at the rarer circulation coins

1985 50c piece made 1 million coat of arms design - originally 50c value

now if you have 1 in uncirculated condition = $5 minimum

it doesn't hurt to collect the $2 coin, but the key is to collect it in UNCIRCULATED CONDITION

2000 incuse 50c coin - original price = 50c

now can get $20

some small investment nothing big $2 cant hurt the pocket. collecting coins can be fun, you dont need to spend alot to enjoy it :D

2 grams of silver is pretty good too :D

James

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

I started off hoarding decimal coins.. in a major major way.. every day i went to the bank and got 50c's... just chased in 2k worth of special ed 50c... over 100 of each the milliniem and jubliee... i was going to keep them all but i ran out of space.. i only have a few of each now is its just not managable in my current living quarters...

I still hoard 5c and 10c and special ed 20c.... and unc old skool 50c, 20c ... i keep the tall ships 50cs and ALL the ram heads.. the rest im now VERY Fussy..

I may get a couple of these but $2 has a decent amount of purchasing power.. id go with oz copper on going an ounce of silver over 17 of these puppies..

ill keep a couple like all the others.

thanks for the heads up... i do like them!

1for1

11. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

only problem with this new $2 coin is every man and his dog will get some, much like the 1984 $ coin everyone saved them and they are only still worth 1 $.

its hard to find a bank that gets rolls these days they are all bags.

its a nice coin the 2 $ coin and have to be hard to resist but i will.

coins that other people don't collect that are boring but have a low mintage are the ones to get like the boring roo dollar my suggestion buy a roll of 2010 roo $ of ebay in 20 years they will be worth much more than this new 2 $ coin :)

12. lostwords

lostwords New Member

this coin looks nice. Don't know much about Australian coins. In Canada, our banks have their coins in Rolls.

13. Aust-Tech

Aust-Tech New Member

Here's a further writeup from the Royal Australian Mint

In the lead-up to Remembrance Day, it is only fitting that Australia's first $2 commemorative circulating coin features the poppy flower, a symbol synonymous with this important day of reflection.

To further honour the sacrifice of all Australians involved in war and armed conflict, the Royal Australian Mint wanted the first ever $2 commemorative coin to count for something more and has also produced a special colour printed version of the $2 coin with a red poppy to be distributed through the national RSL Red Poppy Appeal.

Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasurer, the Hon Bernie Ripoll MP, acknowledged the significance of this day and the partnership with the Royal Australian Mint and RSL.

"Remembrance Day is a time when Australia stops and remembers the courageous men and women that made sacrifices for their country, and this coin will carry on that message, a special reminder for when people receive this coin in their change," Mr Ripoll said.

"As we know red poppies are sold around the country in the lead-up to Remembrance Day through the RSL Red Poppy Appeal and this year it seemed only fitting that a special version of the $2 coin be a part of that national appeal."

The coloured coin, of which there will be half a million, will be circulated nationally through the RSL Red Poppy Appeal. The non-coloured poppy coin, to be produced in a minimum run of five million, will be distributed through the normal channels via banks and retail outlets over the coming months.

Mr Ripoll said this was an historical moment in Australia's coining history.

"The $2 coin has had the same design on it since it was introduced back in 1988 and the Royal Australian Mint has chosen a simple yet effective design to carry the message of Remembrance Day," Mr Ripoll said.

"This coin highlights the world class innovation and skill of the Royal Australian Mint and the entire team there is to be congratulated for the quality of the finished product."

Both coins feature a poppy design surrounded by the words 'Lest we forget' and 'Remembrance Day' in repetitive micro-lettering.

Royal Australian Mint Chief Executive Officer Mr Ross MacDiarmid said this release is one that the Royal Australian Mint team have been working very hard towards and will not go unnoticed around the world.

"Only one other country, Canada, has released coloured coins into circulation and the fact that we have added micro-lettering into the design showcases our world class innovative capabilities," Mr MacDiarmid said.

A collectible coin product is also available for $12.95 from the Royal Australian Mint. For more information visit www.ramint.gov.au or the Mint's Facebook page. For information on where to find the coloured coin contact your local RSL sub-branch.

[​IMG]
    Source: Royal Australian Mint
    2012 Remembrance Day $2 commemorative circulating coin

[​IMG]
    2012 Remembrance Day $2 commemorative coloured circulating coin

[​IMG]
    2012 Remembrance Day $2 'C' mintmark commemorative colour printed coin

[​IMG]
    2012 Remembrance Day $2 'C' mintmark commemorative colour printed coin packaging

There are three different coins being released by the Royal Australian Mint:
    1. A $2 commemorative circulating coin featuring a poppy to commemorate Remembrance Day and will be distributed through the normal channels i.e. banks.
    2. A special version of the $2 commemorative circulating coin featuring a coloured poppy which will be distributed through the RSL Red Poppy Appeal.
    3. A collectible $2 commemorative coin with a coloured poppy released through the normal sales channels to mark the historical significance of this coin being the first commemorative design for the $2 circulating coin. It is also a mintmark.

Why are these coins so special?
    The design on the $2 circulating coin has never been changed.
    This is a historical moment for Australia and a chance to have a keepsake of this significant milestone.

Why has the Royal Australian Mint released a coin for Remembrance Day?
    The Mint has in the past released coins to commemorate Remembrance Day as well as those which remember significant moments within Australia's war-time history.
    As we were planning to release Australia's first ever commemorative $2 coin, we thought that this theme would be particularly relevant for all Australians, and would help us remember the fallen on 11 November.
    The theme is also a great introduction into the ANZAC coin program that the Mint will be introducing which will include a number of themes featuring on both circulating and collectible coins.

Getting the coins
    Where can I get these coins?
    You will see the non-coloured circulating coin come out in your change over the coming months.
    The coloured circulating coin is being circulated by the RSL, who are distributing them through the RSL Poppy Appeal.
    The coloured mintmark uncirculated coin is available through the Royal Australian Mint sales channels.

Where can I get a circulating coloured coin?
    The RSL are distributing these coins through the RSL Poppy Appeal from Friday 26 October to Sunday 11 November.
    It will vary from state to state, for more information regarding where you might be able to find your local RSL servicemen, please contact your state RSL branch.

I'm in Canberra, where can I get a circulating coloured coin?
    We have been informed by the ACT RSL that they will be distributing these coins through the RSL Poppy Appeal from Monday 5 to Friday 10 November at major shopping centres around Canberra.
    For more information regarding when these coins will be available, please contact your state branch.
    The RSL will also be in attendance at the Mint on Sunday 11 November from 11.30 am " 3.30 pm.

Coloured Circulating Coins
    Why has the Mint only produced 500,000 coloured coins for circulation as opposed to a minimum of 5 million non-coloured coins also to be released into circulation?
    The Royal Australian Mint is further developing its technological and innovative capabilities and has used a new production process.
    The Mint wanted to start with an achievable number to ensure the production process went smoothly and quality standards were maintained.

Why was the RSL chosen as the partnering organisation?
    The Mint has partnered with the RSL because the poppy is synonymous with the RSL's 'Poppy Appeal', which provides support to Returned and Ex-Servicemen and their families.
    The RSL also has a widespread distribution method.

Will the $2 standard circulating coin featuring the Aboriginal elder be replaced by the $2 commemorative Remembrance Day circulating coin?
    No, both the $2 standard circulating coin featuring the Aboriginal elder and the $2 commemorative Remembrance Day circulating coin will be released on 2012 dated coins.

Won't the coloured coins get damaged when they are handled as change?
    One of the reasons why the micro-text is underneath the image, whilst it also shows our innovative capabilities, was to ensure respect is maintained for not only the theme of Remembrance Day but also Australia's currency.
    A coin remains in circulation until it is no longer recognisable as a coin.
    The Mint's worn and damaged coin policy is available on the Mint's website and states further information on worn and damaged coins.

Is the paint on the coloured coins toxic?
    No, however you should treat the coin as you would any other coin.

Sources: Royal Australian Mint - Australia's first commemorative $2 coin remembers them
    Royal Australian Mint - Frequently Asked Questions - $2 Remembrance Day Poppy Coin

14. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

i.e. don't put it in your mouth as you don't know where it has been :|

15. JamesG

Hi,

Just want to quick note

THE $2 NONE COLOURED COIN is OUT. one of my customers bought one in to show me. If your in sydney its worth a try around the AUBURN area

hope this helps

James

16. Byron

Byron Guest

Other than the mintmark what is the difference between the RSL coin and the RAM coin? Just the packaging?

Out of the 2 which would be "rarer"?

17. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The first ever commemorative $2 coin features a poppy which is synonymous with Remembrance Day and is being distributed into circulation by banks all around Australia.

https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/LatestNewswithDesc.aspx?NewsID=6

18. Ghost

Ghost Member Silver Stacker

Cheers for the heads up mate!

19. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I just popped into my local rsl I'm Melbourne for their colored edition of the coin and the guy said they won't get them untill next week, then I stopped to play the pokies....now I'll get a couple coins free

20. BullionStacker08

BullionStacker08 New Member

Beautiful design, Might buy a few of the coloured editions.