2008 Gorilla Rwanda 1oz Silver Coin Help

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by jerome.betis, Jan 21, 2015.

1. jerome.betis

jerome.betis New Member

Afternoon All,

First time poster, long time browser. Haven't been collecting many numismatics coins and rather inexperienced with them and was hoping somebody with experience can answer a few questions. I purchased a 2008 Rwandan 1oz, was frustrated to discover that it had slight toning on the edge. When I received it, it wasn't in PVC as I believe is a common issue :-

- Does anybody understand what the square capsule it came in is? It has the text "Fabulous 12 Silver Collection"
    - It came with an authenticity certificate with NBR on it, its in Polish though - anybody know their credentials?
    - Heck am not even sure if it is a 'Proof' version as stated when I purchased it ; certificate I believe says 999/1000 although is in Polish. Can it be verified from the photos below?
    - The coin has slight toning on the edge which is in the photos below - was extremely frustrated and immediately transferred it to a round capsule I had. Assumption was the existing square capsule would prevent it from toning. Would this greatly affect the value?

Any help would be much appreciated! One of my favourite coins and the above questions have been playing on my mind hence, felt impulsed to open an account and get involved in discussions!

Many thanks in advance,

Source: http://postimg.org/image/7s5qb4tul/

Source: http://postimg.org/image/fgg5k9p0p/

2. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

The 2008 gorilla is the key date to the series and practically impossible to locate. The reverse of the initial series release has a silverback, a female, and a baby gorilla posed beautifully together, along with a map of Africa. - http://birdie1776.hubpages.com/hub/african-rwanda-wildlife-silver-coin-bullion-series#

Nice Coin! Bullion (likely wrong thread but we wont go there)

The Fabulous 12 is the 2008 version of the RCM The Fabulous series.. now at The Fabulous 15 http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/the-fabulous-15-2013-prod1640016

The Royal Canadian Mint has gone to the four corners of the earth to bring you this rare and exclusive collection of world famous silver coins, with only 10,000 complete collections for sale worldwide.
    The Fabulous 15 collection offers you some of the most fascinating and highest quality silver coins from around the world. Handpicked by the world's most respected coin experts, all are official legal tender of the world's major coin-issuing nations.

Discover an array of fascinating designs from issuing countries such as Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Armenia, Andorra, Mexico, France and others.

Note - "12"denounced the total number of coins in the set.. not the date/year.

2008 Gorilla Rwanda 1oz Silver Price - $500+ retail

PS @House - i did your volunteer work for you on this occasion. thank me later :)

1for1

3. jerome.betis

jerome.betis New Member

1for1 many thanks for your response! Appreciate the detail and research gone into it.

Agree with your point regarding the bullion section also!

My only remaining thought is would the slight toning along the edge effect the $500+ estimate ?

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi - there seems to be a few around.. so not sure you would easily get $500.. i personally prefer a toned coin, usually this comes down to "eye appeal" -- does the toning "detract - take away" from the desirability of the coin? if it does.. consider dropping the price.. like everything being sold.. you need to find a buyer for your specific item (that person will decide if the value you place on it is in-line with the value the potential buyer thinks its worth)... price discovery!

regards,

1for1

5. LivinTheDream

LivinTheDream New Member

I am getting in a bit late in the game, but I wanted to add a couple comments and questions. I have been collecting the Rwanda Wildlife Series, and have a very difficult time finding comprehensive accurate info; including info on the Fabulous 12 & 15 collections. Here are my comments...
    - The 999/1000 is just the silver purity, not a certificate number. There should have been 5000 of the Fab 12 in 2008.
    - This is definitely a BU, not a Proof. There were 1000 Proofs made (No COA's provided), but the BU mintage is undetermined (although it was set at a max of 5000, the thought is they did not make near the max allowed).
    - (personal opinion) The coin is worth more in the Fab 12 square, than moving to a round capsule; regardless of toning.

Questions
    - I have seen several 2008 Rwanda Gorillas with the f12 privy (many on eBay right now). Why are there Fab 12 sets such as this that have no privy, but they do have the f12 capsules? Are they both authentic? Were there multiple F12 sets made by different mints (someone besides RCM, or did RCM make 2 versions of f12)? If so, what are the mintage numbers for each? I really would like to know how many 2008 Rwanda Gorillas there actually are, and are there obvious fakes out there?

I do know there are also 10,000 2008 Gilded Gorillas with COA's
    All of this really matters as to the price of these 2008 gorillas as it seems to climb.

6. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tbh, I would rather buy a gorilla without any privy mark. Just find it annoying really.