2003 Silver 1oz Panda as a Pocket Piece

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverbulldog, Nov 15, 2012.

1. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Today i got in a 2003 Silver Panda that i paid $2 over Spot for...Paid $34 shipped for it.

I plan to use it as a pocket piece that i can carry around with me to remind me to stay focused and keep stacking/collecting.

It is quite banged up but 100% genuine. I am curious to know if anyone else has a nice pocket piece?

Also does anyone else buy banged up Panda's when they see them close to spot just for the sake of stacking. Normally when i stack i buy whatever is closest to spot...with this coin i figured no matter how bad the condition is i will still appreciate it since its a Panda and Its Pure .999 Silver.

Also so i don't need to create another thread i wanted to ask you guys about a 1996 Panda i bought recently. This Panda is a 1996 Small Date 1oz in OPM. The Capsule got cracked and punctured the outside soft plastic seal. The coin is in excellent UNC condition but because the pouch and capsule are broken the coin got an amazing blue toning around the one side. Does anyone think i should send it in for grading knowing it has the toning around rim? I have been told that toning does not effect the grade but this coin is blue all around the one side...do you pros think this will affect the grade at NGC?

2. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

show us a pic, I love toned coins :D

3. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

me too........... pic please

4. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

attractive, unique toning that increases eye appeal doesn't hurt your grade from what i understand. i like toned coins.

5. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

photo added for the Toned Coin Fans out there

6. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

7. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nice :p

Is the other side clean?

8. gerald

gerald New Member

Based on what I've read, conservation from NCS has a good chance of removing that toning.

9. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think the expense of NCS would be worth it. It's quite pricey, especially if not sending in several coins to reduced the shipping burden. It would be hard to recoup the expense in a sale, at least at current prices. I'd let it keep toning. Looks awesome so far.

10. gerald

gerald New Member

You could be right about that derrick, I have no experience with NCS and grading. Cheers

11. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

You are right it would remove the toning.

The thing is i actually like the Toning and that is why i purchased the coin. In person the coin looks even better...it has very deep blue and red with a bit of purple color.

What do you guys think is it worth sending in for grading? Will they give me any problems saying it is AT rather than NT?

i like having graded coins that are toned but i dont want any bs from NGC about the toning being AT and then sending it back in a body bag.

...also on a side note the 2003 i got for a pocket piece ended up being a Mirrored Bamboo!hell Yeah im pumped about that...but its a crappy grade coin i paid $2 over spot for.

Silverbulldog

12. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

YEs the other side is clean as a whistle.

silverbulldog

13. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

NCS will remove the toning ---unless coin is totally nicked up--grade it--those are hot as hell right now!