2003 panda varieties

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverstar1, Mar 16, 2012.

1. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I was just wondering if anyone knows much about the 2003 satin VS. frosted varieties as far as which mint produced which and the mintage of both and any other differences. Also is there any other post 2000 varieties that anyone knows of ?

2. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

The "frosted" were minted at Shenzhen Guobao Mint.

The "satins" were probably/possibly minted (not sure) at Shenyang Mint.

There have been many reports of different panda varieties post 2000 but none have been recognized via the attributes program except this 2003 variety in which PCGS has labeled with attributes and NGC soon to follow.

I posted pictures here http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...ly-has-attributes-assigned-for-varieties.html

Looking at the 2011 S10Y Panda without any doubt I see that amongst the many I have, there is at least one variety for sure. In this case the Pandas themselves have a different finish in which some are a deep, bright white frosting and others whereas the finish is more of the "satin" or "shiny" look.

I never recognized this until I laid several out for photos and then it became very apparent.

3. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks comeaux , actually it was your post that made me aware of this it is interesting since it is such a difference. I got the first satin one the other day it was a gamble because i couldnt tell in the picture if it was or not, it seems like there are not many of the satin variety compared to the frosted but the price on either seems high right now. I would be interested in seeing more panda varieties that is certainly one thing i find fun about collecting them. Do you know of any sources that have more info about the actual chinese mints and who designs the coins ? if there is any reasons for the designs and varieties ? that type of thing. I have peter anthonys book and it is really great but does not go much into that sort of thing , or maybe there is no record of any of this.I also posted a thread about mint errors which did not get any response , I guess either because noone cares or it is just too early to be thinking about mint errors. Anyway just something I have been thinking about.

4. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

In the 2011 silver pandas are two varieties or more. The eyes and the nose are diferent, i read it in the peter pricepedia page.

5. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

yes I read it too but have not been able to spot that yet ... maybe it is my bad eyes.

The variance I am speaking of is easily seen with naked eye.

6. Noomahn1

Noomahn1 New Member

A few days ago, APMEX had several of the 2003 silver pandas with PCGS holders that attributed the "satin bamboo" variety in 69 grade. Price was about $240ish. Probably a little pricey, but I was curious so bought one that arrived today. I love the design and especially with the "satin" background.

I would imagine they'll have more in the coming weeks.