2003 1oz Au Panda in OMP - flip or slab?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by goldpelican, Jan 15, 2012.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Sorry about the sideways pic, the phone does that sometimes.

Obtained this during the week - 2003 1oz gold panda in original packaging (includes the little tab with the paper inside of it, not shown). Coin looks pretty shmick, is it worth getting slabbed with an NGC grade? The revised mintage according to Peter's website is 36,300, making it a scarcer date.

What's the thoughts on Pandas like this in OMP - leave them in it or slab? Wouldn't destroy the packaging if I wasn't getting it slabbed.

2. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

The NGC population for 1oz Au 2003 Panda:
    MS70: 4
    MS69: 121
    MS68: 26
    MS67: 5
    MS66: 2
    MS64: 1

If contemplating the slabbed route, some would use the above as a guide to determine chances of getting a particular grading.

As for whether it's a good idea to slab or stay OMP ... I'll leave that to the resident experts :)

3. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

IMO ,it really depends on what you have in the coin ,and if you are grading other stuff at the same time to keep your shipping cost down,its hard to tell from the pics the quality of the bear ,but in my mind ,the more valuable the coin the more sense it makes to grade it as long as you think it will grade well ,lets just call it for arguements sake a 2000.00 coin you invest 22.50 or about 1% to make the coin more valuable and with conservation most probably a nicer looking more stable coin IE: more sellable,especially if you think it will go at least ms69,that decision gets much harder on a 200.00 coin as you are investing 10% of value hoping to turn a 200.00 coin into a 500.00 ms 70 . even with common date 1 oz gold panda,s graded, they fetch a 7%- 10% premium over OMP, with all the bad and sometimes unwarranted press about fake panda,s ,if I am plunking down 2000.00 + on a coin ,i want piece of mind that it is legitimate so i only buy graded unless i know the seller real well.plus with that low mintage if you hit a home run and it goes 70 ,you really have something... I vote grade.................:)good luck

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would try grading... it's a low risk vs potentially high reward situation.

Getting a MS70 allows you to print money :)

At worst, MS67 or lower, you still have the bullion value to fall back on.

Low risk: A poor grade still guarantees your Panda is real, and should help you sell it if you wanted to.
    Potential High reward: A MS68 should give you the same value as the OMP. A MS69 should give you a good return over OMP. MS70 is wonderful.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

If you've only got 1 coin might as well flip it, pretty expensive and time consuming to have it graded.

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

You've got reliies in the States, might make it easier for you to get it slabbed.

7. wilkes

wilkes Member

GP - I am sure you have a few other premium coins worth slabbing.

You can sign up with NGC for a service that offers the first 4 or so slabs for free! Send a few coins in together to make it worthwhile and you will see pretty good returns, from what I can gather. Also, people will more likely purchase a graded coin from you.

8. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Lovely coin 03 is a sweet design I reckon this one is highly prized of the post 2000's. Slabbing it depends on your strategy ie: got it for a bargain and looking to flick it for a profit. If so then yes I would recommend slabbing it. There has been very good advice given here already on this route. Consider however also...

If you're looking to keep it in your stack awhile as an investment then I would hold off. I'm not the only collector who believes that slabbing is not as important to the Chinese as viewing the coin in the flesh. IT"S THE COIN ITSELF THEY'RE INTERESTED IN. The asking price for most OMP MCC's in Shanghai I saw were at least MS69 level, there wasn't 'deals' on the rarer coins and they certainly werren'y giving them away, nor should they. Im unconvinced the Chinese view us as 'sophisticated' with our fancy western NGC grading system. We are grading their coins after all. My viewpoint is that if you are confident the coin is flawless I see no point in getting it graded however much you are seeking confirmation of a 69 (likely on stats) or dreaming of a 70. I have a few stunning coins in OMP and kind of like keeping them that way.

Who will we be exiting to? Many of these earlier bears will be going home to the growing number of Chinese collectors at a decent price in the future irrespective of grade. I consider myself a caretaker of sorts until the Chinese want them back. If NGC becomes a prerequisite for the Chinese I will conserve, grade and slab 'em no worries.

NCS conservation is a wonderful service... there's a thought, can you get coins conserved and slabbed without being graded if so desired? I'd guess yes but anyone know for sure?

9. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

If you do decide to flip it, bring it to the next Melbourne meet for a start ;)

10. mmm....shiney!

Or put it up for sale here so we non-melbournians can get a crack at it :cool:

11. low

low New Member

Yes there is an option in NCS Submission Form. Unless things have changed, conserved but not graded coin will come back in NCS holder.

12. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Good luck with that, us Southerners keep it in the famliy :p

13. mmm....shiney!

Lol, cheers B

14. yennus

hehehe... auction it! :)

Jpanggy took my 1/2oz 2003 :)

15. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I'm not terribly attached to it - saw it, thought it was an opportunity, bought it. Will bring it along to the Melbourne meeting for some opinions anyway.

16. yennus

I'll buy it at spot! hehhe...

That's about as much as Jpanggy paid for my one... hehehe :)

17. jc888888888

gold pelican, if you decide to conserve it ,then it is coming out of the OMP anyway,so IMO it is not prudent not to grade it ,the best value at NCS is conservation plus grading:) they will also send you back the original airtite if you ask ,of course they charge you :) I think it is $1.00 ,if you dont like the grade ,crack it out of the holder and pop it back in the airtite ,I have some coins going to ncs next week all older Chinese stuff a 1984 terracotta set and some proof panda,s ,i am going to take some pics before and after:) i got a couple pretty valuable coins that are really rough looking with some corrosion and lots of unsightly toning,I will post them in about 3 weeks when i get them back.so everyone can get a look .

18. jc888888888

[​IMG]
    pretty coin in the holder:)

19. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

20. wilkes

wilkes Member

They look so much better in OMP... But the NGC holders are nice if you NEED to grade it :)