2002 Five Piece Lunar Horse Set Question

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by fltacoma, Mar 7, 2016.

1. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

Hello all,

Some of you may or may not know that I work at the coin shop here in the United States. We just purchased the five piece proof lunar horse set with a COA #9. The outer box was not included, and the red box housing the coins is a little worn. What would you estimate the value of the set?

2. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I believe you would lose 20%-30% of the price for not having the outer box & with the damage to the outer of the red box
    If you can clean up the out side of the red box ,maybe only a 10% lose
    What it's actually worth I can't help you with sorry

4. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

Lmao!!!! Understatement of the year so far! A little worn??? Really?? A little? Looks like someone used it for jizz target practice from 2002-2012.

But those coins though. They look great. And that kilo proof. As for price not quite sure but it's quite abit. It just might take a long time to move to get a price that these coins deserve seeing as it's a very specialty set

5. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Set #009!!

6. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In perfect Gem condition the price in Au$ is $4000-$5000 without much problem. If I recall correctly those sets number 68. The box deterioration is common and I have seen a lot of these kilo sets with this damage. It cannot be cleaned up as it is deterioration of the vinyl. I think it is heat related. As you are in the US I would suggest you get the coins slabbed by PCGS. Please check the coins carefully in bright light before you send them as I have seen a few of these sets with hair line scratches. PCGS will pick those scratches up, even if you don't. Once slabbed PR68-70 you can add another k or two. It's a great set.

7. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

Some of these coins in the set have very minor pinhead milks pots on the coins though. That's the bummer part. The only coin that doesn't is the 2oz (flawless) and the 1/2 (flawless also)

8. Ronnie 666

Ronnie 666 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes it is hard to find a perfect set and that is why those are worth $5k. The 1kg is especially hard to find a perfect specimen. From the pictures it's hard to see any imperfections but with a bright LED light they become obvious. Still it's a nice set and if you can pick it up cheap it's a rare item.

9. MonkeyMagic

MonkeyMagic New Member

What the hell I laughed to so hard when I read your comment, anyways besides the box looks like a nice set

10. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

could that white stuff be mold on the red box? if it smells it is mold. I was offered this set for $3500 and I believe one was sold here on the forum for around $4000 in mint condition. with all the damage no collector would be interested to buy the set but you could get lucky on ebay ...

milkspot is a big setback too. price,honestly close to spot as possible. 1/2oz and 2oz flawless as you put it but coin itself(if you break up the set) so they dont worth much more than their bullion brother.I would be interested in them :p

11. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

So immaculate box is worth something???

:)

12. motorbikez

motorbikez Member Silver Stacker

Case & cert is worthless, in perfect condition the set would be worth $3200-$3500 USD, no collector would buy that as a set, splitting it is the best option.