2000 mirror panda

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverstar1, Jan 2, 2012.

1. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, Peter Anthony's book has pictures of the plastic seals.

2. dbm300

dbm300 New Member

So this is the coin my friend bought. I thought it was real but you guys seem to be the experts. Any thoughts? Value if they wanted to sell it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I think your friend should go and see if they have anymore RIGHT NOW

I'll stick my neck out but initial checks that I can see it seems to be the real deal. BARGAIN

Just to add if more are available and the others here can confirm I am keen to make an offer.

4. yennus

This is not a joke:

I honestly regret to inform you, that your friends bear, is very very likely a phoney Panda.

It may be 1oz 999 silver. But it is probably not a genuine 1oz Mirrored Panda.

The following pics are examples of genuine 2000 Mirrored Pandas.

1. The OMP is not correct for a Shanghai Panda.
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_2502.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]
    Notice the diagonal slant of the OMP stripes on the pair of original Pandas. Whereas your friend's panda has perpendicular stripes.

2. Multiple black spots of death, especially on the nose.
    [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/675_img_2512.jpeg][​IMG][/imgz]
    Notice how the nose is a silky smooth frosted silver, and has no black dots. Whereas your friend's panda has a major black spot on the nose and just above the decimal dot.

3. Price paid is too good to be true.
    The 2000 Mirror is one of the most popular Pandas; it is incredibly unlikely you will find a 2000 Mirrored bear selling for anything less than $1000... let alone under $100.

5. possum

possum Member Silver Stacker

I would say fake, but wait for the experts.

6. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

LOL That is why I only buy from trusted sources ... :rolleyes:

Should have kept that neck in HAHAHAHA hides in shame.

7. yennus

hahah... no shame... unless you're familiar with what the genuine article looks like, it's hard to identify a fake...

Hence, the more people become familiar with genuine Pandas, the harder it will be to fool people.

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I did see the different OMP but thought it could have been cut closer ie: missing the double strip.
    The spots I wasn't sure if on panda or reflection/capsule
    Damn right about to good a price, as the saying goes...

9. yennus

yep... as the saying goes... that's usually the best indicator.

1. If the person selling it had no idea what the Panda was worth, why would they charge double spot? If I got an unknown silver 999 coin (e.g. Perth Mint Swimming 1oz coin), I would only sell it at spot.
    2. If the person selling it suspected it was worth something, and mistakenly thought it was a frosted Panda, wouldn't they sell it for around $400?
    3. If the person selling it suspected it was worth something (anything above spot), surely they would google it ... the value of a 2000 Mirror is hard to hide :)

10. dbm300

dbm300 New Member

It does have a diagonal slant on the bottom edge (see the first picture)
    There are no black spots of death, just the flash from the camera
    In the US, pandas don't have the following that they do elsewhere , and you can often find them similiarly priced to Kooks and Lunars reguardless of year.

11. yennus

1. It should have diagonal slants all the way around, not just on one side.
    2. Looks like the BSOD to me above the decimal place... similar to the fakes discussed by Peter Anthony here... http://www.pandacollector.com/rogue.html#2000b
    3. Highly unlikely a person that sells coins in the USA is going to sell a 2000 Panda for under $100... not impossible... but sounds too good to be true.

12. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Here is another one from ebay I thought was interesting 230721537032 does this look genuine to you experts? I wont keep posting stuff from ebay and asking if it is fake I hope it is not annoying anyone, just trying to learn here. Also is there any other good books anyone could reccomend on chinese coins in general (in english) that might shed some light on the mints in china and why they even make certain coins , who decides which ones ect. Thanks

13. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Both the 2000 mirror posted and the ebay listing just mentioned are fake.

2 more reasons to stick with graded (and authenticated) coins.

14. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

What is fake about the 1999 in the listing? I am not going to question the experts here but in reading other forums too it seems like any good deal on a panda that isnt slabbed they think is fake , now I suppose it is probably because there really are so many fakes made but I have also heard the majority are pretty easy to tell if they are not silver to anyone familliar with silver coins. I am detecting that some people may have payed way too much back when the panda market was booming and cant possibly admit that maybe there is some genuine ones out there at decent prices. I know when you are in the know on value it is easy to think everyone else must know as well. As an example I have, regrettably now that i am more interested in them, sold lots of pandas for years just as bullion many graded 69 and 70 (in the 100-120$ range) and many other dates maybe some of the really rare ones alot of times with buy it now prices that sold within hours or even minutes of my listings and I thought at the time it was great and did not care about silver pandas other than just good quality bullion ( I really regret selling the ms 70s now). so my point is maybe there is still deals to be had from people like i was that didnt know and didnt care. I have seen on the chinese forum some people swear there are not real or at least good quality pandas anymore that have not been graded, I personally think some of that is just more of trying to protect their expensive investment, I think grading is somewhat of a farse anyway other than the authentication value . Dont get me wrong I am not trying to question anyones motives here and you guys, and girls are the experts so if you thing some thing is fake i will take your word and experience for it. I am just trying to learn more about these myself, and thanks for all the imput from you folks here.

15. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

The 2000 mirror is definitely fake with the 'black nose' problem. It's a plated coin. I don't have any links handy, but if you search over at the CCF for 'black nose' you'll probably find it.

The 1999 is a better fake, but look at these. The one you posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23072153703...See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1#ht_975wt_952

And a graded specimen (same variety):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-CHIN...ultDomain_0&hash=item337027d667#ht_500wt_1202

Notice how the quality of fur is different and the lettering on the one you posted is thicker. It's possible that something weird happened with the photography on the ungraded one, but 99% if it looks a little weird, it's a lot fake.

16. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks for the info I can kinda see what you mean but the lighting and photos are so different this one seems like you would have to compare it side by side or at least in the same light and angle, if it is fake it looks like a good one at least in the picture too me , but what do i know?

17. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Which mirror coin are you referring to the one i started the thread with or the other sealed one someone posted or both?

18. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

I was talking about the one in message #22 that dbm300 posted.

19. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Yes I agree I dont really know much about pandas but something on the finish does not look right. What do you think about the other one on post 10 ? the one I originally started this thread with?

20. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

The circled area does appear to be a problem, but the angle and distance of the photo makes it hard for me to tell anything for sure.