$200 for a Silver Roo ?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Matthew 26:14, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

290540220067. 2007 Silver Roo went for $192 ?? Surely not. I know 2007 had the lowest mintage but jeeeeepers.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Damn , Guess what I'm listing soon :) Got a lovely looking carded one sitting in my little stack .

3. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Very interesting. This listing is from a dealer and it seems as though a lot of items are attracting very high bids a number of days out from end date. Also appears the same group of bidders driving prices up. Maybe just co-incidence but just looks odd.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

5. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Roos are a great niche market. I find they hold their value better than Kooks. :)

6. Dan Unda

Dan Unda Member Silver Stacker

I recently bid on a couple of this seller's items

Anyway, out-sniped.. That's OK, if someone wants to pay more than I do, they get the goods...

Checked the bid history (on 2 items), and the number of last-second bids from the same bidder was something I had never seen before (been buying on ebay since 2000), and which I thought was very peculiar ..

Well, you guessed it, within the hour, 2nd chance offer (which I ignored).

Having checked bid history on more of this seller's completed listings, I am now very suspicious indeed (not all, but some are very sus IMO).. YMMV

:)

7. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

OMG I was buying the carded versions four months ago for $32 each that's looking like a real bargain now.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

No, they were fair value at $32.

People paying these amounts for Roos atm simply don't understand what fair value is.

A premium coin is fine, but these prices for carded roos are simply speculative bids.

I like roos, but there's no way in hell I'd be paying much of a premium over stock Kooks, Koalas and Lunars.

9. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I was thinking at the time it was a good deal based upon the increases that were happening at the time. Silver had gone from $18 - 26 in a matter of weeks and I was thinking, well now is the hour if I don't get stuck in and buy as much silver as possible I'll end up getting less physical. Glad it was the right decision. :)

10. Matthew 26:14

Dont think you would have got the 2007 Roo for $32. The 2007 Roo had a tiny mintage of like 6,000 compared with like 70,000 for the 1993 Roo. Anyway, a "typical" Roo like say the 1993-1997 you could easily buy for like $30 last year. The 2000-2010 Roo's have always been more expensive because their mintages have been much smaller, typically around 20,000.

11. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Your correct Matt, I just checked. Got four for $38 in December last year. Still a good deal. I also got some 1990 S 1 ozt Kooks off the same guy for $35. I was really happy about that. Thinking they will build value over time.

12. Matthew 26:14

270718657098. A 2007 Roo just listed and already bids up to $142.50 Very odd given Peter Strich has them listed on feebay for $99 buy now. Crazy stuff.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Not any more he doesn't they are all gone, someone bought 15 all at once . They were the cased version not the carded ones. I got quite a nice surprise this morning when I checked my listing and saw the price already :) whats even better for me is that I got this coin given to me for free for swapping the certificate on the Redback that i picked up for $50 .

YEEHAAA

14. Matthew 26:14

I picked up 6 x 2007 roos in December for an average buy of $45 ea. which was $10 more than other roo years. Up 300% in 3 months??? Crazy stuff.

15. Matthew 26:14

Cripes, up to AU $162.50 already and 6 days to go, Redback prices soon :D

16. Rothbard

Rothbard New Member

You can't tell who are the bidders on eBay items...they all say things like l***8j etc it's a code for privacy so now way to detect shill bidding

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah there is if you click on the ***8 or whatever it will give you their bid history details and statistics with that seller percentage of activity etc . If your ever suss on an item check it out this way.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Now that is an Investment.......Half your luck , would love to see a bank offering interest like that but I guess that would only apply to money that you owed to them huh.

You gonna flip a few of them Kangas Matt or sit on them a while longer?

19. Matthew 26:14

Gunna sit and go for the moooooooon. Dont need to sell for fiat and dont see them dropping in price so, may as well hold. Bought each of my 2007 Roos off fee-bay Nov/Dec and I kinda guessed they'd do well over time.

I even bought other Roos in Nov/Dec like the 2000 for $32, 1992-1999 for about $30 ea. Prices for the more common Roo years like these have gone up like 100% in just 3 months. I guess silver has gone up well too but still, quite a spike.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Nice Buying M8, love your work .

Who says Feebay is a heartless MoFo when you can get scores like that, of course you need to do your homework and research but I for one seem to do alright , I dont have anywhere else where I can get bargain buys locally but I also have plenty of free time to sit and look .

Just this week I picked up three nemos for an average $45 odd each (from a member here) and tonight picked up five Kiwi ferns for $46 each all with postage as well.

If the premium on the 07 Kaqngas keeps growing like it has you could well be beating the redbacks by the end of the year. From what ive been seeing the price of the Roo's has been growing heaps recently overall, must get me some more soon.