2 oz , 5 oz Round Silver & Coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Golden ChipMunk, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

2 oz , 5 oz THREAD

2 oz Ultra High Relief Medallion

American Landmark Liberty Island, The Grand Canyon

Siren, Cleopatra, The Captain

[​IMG]

2. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

You forgot the 1st Privateer.. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The Elemetal Mint has really done a spectacular job with these 2 oz high relief rounds. I really like the proof-like finish on the American Landmark series and the subject will never be out of style.

If anyone needs capsules for these wonderful rounds, PM me....I will sell them by the 5 or 10 pieces.

4. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like the Liberty much

5. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeap. The 1st privateer is the one to keep for the long run.

The rest may appreciate in time...

6. greedy Kobold

greedy Kobold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/18747_dsc_0083.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

I like this one for the reasons:

1 Relatively inexpensive

2 Small mintage for 2011, 2012

3 Not minted anymore after Fiji-> <-NZ Mint-> Niue drama
    (the 2014, 2015, 2016? are Niue Turtle)

anyone selling them cheap ? :)

gK

7. Gatito Bandito

Slacker is toning a Privateer by leaving it standing up on his desk, and touching it for a bit like once a week..

[​IMG]

Fast-forward to about the 14:30 mark..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o150C37dEg

I've also seen various gilded versions of some of these Provident rounds at PB..

8. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

I consider these privateer rounds to be like modern day Franklin Mint releases, for those of you familiar with their work. Many medals and sets sold for high premiums "yesterdecade", and while they are gorgeous to look at decades later, they often go for spot, or below spot now. The premiums on these gorgeous 2oz rounds and capsules were too high to pull me away from the proof libertad presales prices last year. I do follow them with interest, but I'll risk waiting a long while for the premiums to lower before going for any, which is funny considering one of the rounds is a Silver Siren LOL

9. Gatito Bandito

True, yet at the same time, the premiums really aren't all that bad, considering, when you shop around & catch some early enough.

And I'm guessing down the road, these will probably continue to have a bit/enough of a following. Though I don't envision them all exactly taking off to the moon, either.

I think if my budget were larger, and/or my shopping list shorter, I'd pick up at least one or two others.

As it stands now, my one & only is the artificially-toned Privateer.. Obviously paid a bit more of a premium on that. :lol:

I think the artist does a great job with some, as he mixes them up a bit. The colors are rich, vibrant & really pop with the relief, especially in stronger lighting.

My next choice would likely be the Cleopatra -- and probably moreso for the pyramid side. If they continue with that series, while keeping the pyramid, there could be one with both an awesome obverse & reverse.

The others are decent enough, but I think are just missing the mark somewhere.. Wondering if it's the lack of toning? Perhaps an antiquing job would make them jump out more & add depth?

And agree with keeping one's eye on them, especially as they release new designs (and as some of the older ones start toning up nicely). Definitely a fan of the continental US on the American Landmarks series.. I think there's potential for a future home-run with one of these someday, as well, with the right design.

Even though not totally for me, as I get pulled in many other directions.. Overall, I can see why some like these.

I hope Provident keeps up with it, as long as it makes sense for them..

10. Gatito Bandito

Judging by this one, I think his eBay prices are proportional to the amount of time spent on any given piece..

(Of course, there are always ways to get it cheaper ;) )

I really like this one, too..

[​IMG]

11. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^That's just gorgeous!

12. mmissinglink

SilverSiren,

Your argument makes no sense.

There's a huge difference between Franklin Mint and Elemetal Mint. That you would equate them shows how little you understand about the clear differences. For starters, the Elemetal Mint puts out bullion only.

The premiums on these Elemetal Mint rounds are not high at all compared to similar products.

Also, if you are buying proof Libs, you are paying considerably higher premiums than if buying the Elemetal Mint rounds.

So your argument makes no sense.

13. SilverSiren

[
    If you say so . . . or not. I find your choice of words here to be just a bit hostile, but not unexpectedly so.
    I'm comparing their products, and said that I expect the privateer rounds to eventually be had for cheaper premiums than they are now, just like so many Franklin Mint products from decades ago. Paying well over $32 USD for 2 oz privateer rounds with spot being where it is, makes no sense TO ME. I didn't equate the Franklin Mint to the Elemetal Mint, The differences between the two mints, and my supposed lack of knowledge of those "huge differences" is just a straw man for you to prop up and knock down. My argument that paying too much of a premium up front on attractive generic silver that is ultimately just generic isn't a good idea for long term holding, stands. I also mentioned that it was my experience that there were better options for flipping, so I decided at the time not buy the privateer rounds in favor of proof libertads, more on that later. To any collectors who just buy privateer rounds for the joy of looking at them, more power to them, the rounds are stunning, I won't deny that!
    You decide what constitutes a similar product, and what is or is not a high premium with your money, and I'll decide with mine. I compare privateer rounds with the 1oz prospector rounds, and I will go with two 1 oz prospectors every time because of the difference in premiums for the coins and the capsules. Limited runs and new releases in the rather undefined privateer series notwithstanding.
    Another straw man argument, I was comparing price appreciation in the after market between the two, not claiming that as far as silver products go, privateer rounds are very similar to proof libertads, or that the premiums between the two are comparable. I simply decided to buy proof libertads instead of the privateer rounds at the time, and I am stating that the decision was the right one to make if one is looking to flip for profit in the short term. Again, the privateer rounds are just overpriced generic silver TO ME despite being well designed, so when I was faced with a choice whether to buy those or proof libertads, I went with the libertads, and I did MUCH better with them than I would have with the 1st issue privateer, although I think the rounds are doing pretty well right now in the aftermarket. I do like that they are releasing the privateer mintages, all the better to determine whether or not it is worth buying them at the prices the dealers are asking, but I've already made that determination. I consider the mintage numbers they put out as confirmation that I made the right call... for now.
    I think I will post some 2 oz and 5 oz pieces shortly, in keeping with the thread topic.

14. mmissinglink

SilverSiren,

You just dug yourself into an even deeper hole with that cockamamie explanation.

There's nothing at all hostile about pointing out your ridiculous comments without wearing kid gloves. Mature adults ought to be capable of criticism of their problematic positions. That you can't stand someone pointing your poor arguments out is your deficit, no one else's.

The fact that you are still comparing a blob or a Franklin Mint product to a high quality bullion round shows how little you understand qualitative difference and value. What you are doing is akin to comparing a new Subaru to a new Jaguar and expecting both to be offered at the same price. Just ridiculous.

That a Privateer round may not hold its value is a completely different issue and conflating this with a comparison to products that are not comparable is dishonest.

And speaking of your dishonesty, you'd written about the proof Libs "the proof libertad presales prices" NOT aftermarket prices as you now claim. Get your conflicting stories straight.

All of my criticisms of your nonsensical claims are made more valid with your last reply.

Any silly person can claim that a silver product has 'too high a premium' if comparing it to some silver product of inferior quality. Using that argument, every silver bar, coin, round, or medal carries too high a premium if it carries a premium of 1 cent or more because there have been opportunities (a couple that I have seen) where consumers can buy crappo blobs for zero (nothing) over spot from a major bullion dealer. I have seen offers like this in the past. Now you see why your argument is nonsensical, right?

15. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

16. SilverSiren

Thank you for your reply, although I must admit I stopped reading it at "cockamamie explanation". I see no reason to continue interacting with you. Good luck with your continued privateer round product sales!

Now I will get the thread back on topic with a photo of some of my favorite 2 troy oz Mexican pieces...
    [​IMG]
    Source: Google Minus

17. mmissinglink

Promoting bad ideas like you have done doesn't get a free pass in this forum.

You are only fooling yourself if you think that you have made a single cogent argument. According to your own warped and nutty 'logic', you are wasting enormous amounts of money buying those coins you just posted in your last comment because 2 1 oz bullion Libertads can be purchased for under $19 each.

And since a 1 oz bu Lib is no different in value as the Mexico coins you posted because they share something in common that has nothing to do with quality and cost of production (that's your warped 'logic' because you claimed that a prospector round was comparable in value to any of the 2 oz high relief Elemetal Mint rounds), this is proof you are a complete hypocrite or that you spew meaningless drivel.

A cogent argument on values and premiums of silver products must begin by comparing like to like, not by attempting to ascribe the same exact value to two significantly different types of products. It's just absurd to want to do the latter but that's exactly what SilverSiren is doing.

For the sensible stackers who understand that cost and quality of production definitely affects the premiums of silver products, here's a reminder as to why it's only a fool who compares a silver product like this:

[​IMG]

to a qualitatively different silver product like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

18. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

19. SilverSiren

Some 5 oz libertads, I prefer the 2oz for size but the design on the 5oz is easier to appreciate, I won't bore anyone with stock photos...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Gatito Bandito

I'd be curious to know how well the proof Libs will do for those that were flipped to at higher prices..

Anyway, any fantasy 5-oz'ers?

How about a 5-oz ASE (BU, proof, reverse proof)?

The US Mint really needs to get with the times with different sizes, instead of wasting resources on designs that are reminiscent of the 1980s..

And would like to see a 5-oz Kook (regular relief)..