1oz Gold Mapleleaf for $50 and no takers.

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Sticks, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Sticks

Sticks New Member

Why do I never run into people like this.???:mad:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk5aRIz17fk[/youtube]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

An oldie, but a goodie.

Awareness on PMs is low out there in the world...

3. newspeak

newspeak New Member

Hello all, this is my first post, I have alot of catching up to do! Thanks for posting that video Sticks, what an eye opener! I always try to give the benefit of the doubt to people, but it is very apparent most people do not have a clue about the worth of PM's (not even close), it's funny and scary all rolled into one. I hope these people stay home when it comes time to vote, ignorance is dangerous! Cheers.

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Welcome to the forum newspeak. Unfortunately, those people do vote and procreate.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ignorance is a key aspect of maintaining the current state of the world today newspeak. Not to sound arrogant, but stackers are generally a breed who have woken up to the fallacies that bind reality for most and therefore are more critical of it's nature.

I don't lambast ignorance per say, but I do take a dim view of those who are informed and refuse to listen to logic and reason.

But people are (if anything) adaptable creatures and given the right climate where self discovery is essential (ie when their currency goes tits up!) people can become *very* aware of the metals market in a very short space of time.

Right now in Australia whilst ignorance breeds ignorance on the housing market as the status quo investment choice, for all of their wayward assumptions on wealth cycles, when it comes to the specifics of the process, the people are generally pretty well informed of the intricacies of the market.

I've no doubt when they cast their shadow over the PM market in the future, the same people will become very well educated indeed and Mark Dice won't be seen for anything waving around a gold coin to make fun of the ignorant.

6. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't like Mark Dice.

He does some very interesting and valid social experiments and then ruins them by saying "you're all morons if you disagree with me and the Illuminati are coming to eat your babies" blah, blah, blah.

7. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

pinch of salt guys - if some stranger came upto you offering you a "gold" coin in the streets for $50 would you take it? If you would the HGE shysters now have a new market.

8. Willow

Willow New Member

Very good point, it seemed to me most of the people just didnt trust him more than they were considering gold price...one reason PM dealers (and all traders really) need to have their clients trust for deals to actually happen

9. Sticks

Sticks New Member

I would definitely take a look,, You are face to face with the seller, a lot of information there if you can read it, Also you have a chance to see, feel and hear the coin so I reckon you have a 95% chance of calling it right, So if look, weight and particularly sound was right I would take it.
    Lets look at the odds, a 90-95% of getting it right with a win/lose ratio 1,350 / 50
    So a 5% chance of a maximum loss of $50
    and a 95% chance of a win of about $1,300 - Any games with odds like that around - Colour Me There..
    And seeing I bought it for $50 you can bet I would definately get it tested, If its real - I'm over the moon.,
    If its a fake that is good enough to fool me. - I would just say "Damn" then I would mount it a put it on display around the house,
    No need to get paranoid about someone flogging it. - Overall not a bad deal - nothing to get upset over.

Lets compare that scenario with a eBay buy.
    Chance to determine if seller is a Shonky Type - Nil
    Chance of making any determination about coin - Nil - You just looking at a photo, and coin that is posted may not even be coin in photo.
    Look at the odds here - Chances of making a good call off a photo (I will be generous - Lets say) 50/50
    Maximum loss possible $1,350 say - Maximum Win (Lets say you got it $20 under real value.) - $20
    Any game with them odds - Colour Me Gone..

Now when eBay coin arrives you are in exactly the same position as I was buying it off the street, If it looks, feels and sounds right you wont suspect anything and will add it to your stack - You may have been taken for $1350 - Even if you test it and find its fake - you have all the worry, writing letters - getting refund.
    After its all sorted out -, takes time, you still have no coin - so you go get another coin (Price ha probably gone up $50 in that time - so you also $50 bucks out same as me)

So - Yes - Good chance I buy - And I'm not gullible either -Just do sums and work out the odds - No Pain - No Gain.
    So I guess it boils down to personal choices - I'm the type that's prepared to take a gamble. - some you win - some you lose.

I would be curious - How many people here would pay $50 for a fake that was good enough to put on display.
    No different from buying Zimbabwe Banknotes ( Yes I got them as well.)

10. Willow

Willow New Member

I would probably not buy a fake for display but i personally would take the coin for $50 if it lokked and felt like the real thing, like you say, good odds and low risk.

11. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Like most of these interviews the only people you see in front of the camera are;

a) too old, fat, slow and/or stupid to avoid a guy with a camera and microphone when they see one coming, or

b) so socially handicapped that any human contact will suffice, even if it means talking about something they have no clue about

Either way it's hardly a representative sample...he'd get the same gormless replies if he'd asked the studio audience of a tv gameshow.

I liked his t-shirt though.

12. Sticks

Sticks New Member

LOL - Sad but so true, that's one of the reasons would be likely to be interested, the worlds full of fools.
    Human Nature tells you a scammer or huckster wont try selling fake coins for $50 - It shouts out Fake,
    Someone flogging of fakes would normally sell it near enough to real value to make it sound genuine, but just enough under its real value to make the mark interested.