1998 1/20 Gold Panda Found. Did I do alright?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by YingYang4, Jun 11, 2012.

1. YingYang4

YingYang4 New Member

Hello all. I just got in my order that contains a 1998 1/20 Gold Panda and a 2006 1/20 Gold Panda. I'm happy to report they both appear to be authentic. I'm slightly disappointed in the condition as the seller did not state ex-jewelry condition for the 98 but I paid $230 total for both coins including shipping. I've seen the 98 go for as much as $250-300 in mount removed condition and higher if certified by NGC.

Judging from the pics did I do okay? I'm happy with finally having a 98 and the 06 just has what looks to be a scratch for a scratch test.

How do I post an image without having it uploaded on a picture hosting site?

2. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

congrats on the purchase. You can upload pics to SS using the 'Upload image' option near the top of the page. Then paste the image link into a post (it's easier than how I describe it :) )

3. YingYang4

YingYang4 New Member

Thank you my friend. Here are the pics.

[​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

4. YingYang4

YingYang4 New Member

[​IMG]
    Source:

5. Diablo21

Diablo21 Member

6. YingYang4

YingYang4 New Member

Thank you Diablo. I'm never good at uploading pic links to sites. They are the real deal for sure. Think I might send in the 98 to get the details mount removed or ex-jewelry label

7. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ouch... such beautiful Pandas that have suffered abuse. :(

Decent price though.

8. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

injured panda :p

9. YingYang4

YingYang4 New Member

I know. Happy i have the 98 in my collection though. Just can't afford close to 2 grand for an OMP. :)

I sent an e-mail to the seller but they have not responded. I voiced my dissapointment with condition but would prefer to keep the items. Should I go through Paypal and use the item not as described option? I sort of hesitant because I sell on Ebay and know how disheartening it is when a buyer opens a case.

Thanks for all your comments.

10. YingYang4

YingYang4 New Member

Thank you Thor. I see NCS charges based on a percentage of the coin value. Do they consider numismatic value or just the gold value?

11. shibaji

shibaji New Member

Numismatic. Also, they charge based on current fair market value, so even though you have a bargain price, NCS may determine it is more valuable, and hence take a % out of that value.

12. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

You can put 300 in a coin of 350 but not in a coin of 500.

13. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

My suggestion with NCS.............. it is better to ask forgiveness than permission:),gold fractional s I use the gold price and add a little 1/10 oz 200usd.................. here is my rational for example lets take a 2000 gz expo panda in omp ,you could say that coin is a 500 usd coin OK ,what if it grades ms67? your lucky to get 300 for it,so I list the coin under a worse case scenario my Thoughts 250.00.............:) 1 oz silver panda,s in the 300 to 750 you can pose this argument all day long ............only risk with this strategy if they lose the coins ,they will pay you what you put on that form...........they dont lose stuff ,and they ship highly secure........... DISCLAIMER : maybe I just have not gotten caught yet:) worse case scenario they call you with the proposed new fee,s and you negotiate, they just cant hit your credit card and surprise you:) there are laws against that here:)

14. YingYang4

YingYang4 New Member

Thanks for all the great info guys. I just looked at the 1/2oz. 98 panda and the rim has copper toning a bit with blooming spots on back. What do you think would be best declared value for this coin?

By the way the 1oz. is gorgeous, rest of coins not a scratch on them or nicks. Just the copper spots. Beautiful luster

15. jc888888888

never saw those pics??

16. YingYang4

YingYang4 New Member

17. YingYang4

YingYang4 New Member

Hope you all like the pics. Yes I just figured out how to post from PhotoBucket , lol.

[​IMG]
    Source:

18. jc888888888

I think you should conserve them they could use it......... if I was sending them in,my value on ncs form : 1900,950,475,225,120............... as far as grades , pics are a little blurr ,it looks like to my non professional eye,you don't have anything there that should not receive a 68 at least ,the 1/4 looks like it could give you a little trouble, but honestly I think they will conserve up nicely................ the coins are pretty, don't worry about the grades ,conserve them to protect your investment, By the way Ying Yang4 cherish that score on the price:) they are few and far between:)