1993 10y silver panda frosted version

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverstar1, Jul 13, 2012.

1. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Does anyone know if the 1993 1 oz silver frosted version is the more or less common version?

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

79 views and know one has any imput on this ? either knowone knows or cares , oh well I was just curious since it is one of the few dates ngc recognises with a frosted version.

3. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Hi silverstar1.

I think the problem is that it's only recently been recognised as a new variety, so no one knows. Although I may be proved wrong...

4. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I think peter know it.

5. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks guys , I just got grading results with the frosted version so i wanted to see if anyone knew about it there is not many graded as frosted so I think you are correct that it must be a newly recocnised variety.

6. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

comeaux knows more about this variety

7. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Hahaha yes grizz I wish I knew more about these however I do not know much yet but I have been doing some research on this variety as I believe only 4 small date and 8 large date frosty have been graded/recognized by NGC so far.

Here is the comparison from NGC
    [​IMG]

Here are the 1993 S10Y Pandas that I own and it appears that the two large date are "frosty" and the small date is the regular variety. I need to make a trip to the safety deposit box to get better photos and possibly resubmit for variety attributes to get some registry points.
    [​IMG]

I cannot ascertain at the moment but just from what I can tell by looking at all the pictures on NGC and from what I have seen on ebay it would appear to me that the 1993 Large Date "Frosty" (as the two I own) are the more common variety and that the "regular" 1993 small date is more elusive.

Of course this could be all wrong but this is only my preliminary assessment and I will be keeping an eye out on these

8. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks for the info Comeaux!

9. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Thanks comeaux for the data.
    The 1/2 oz silver have varieties too?
    I win a auction a few minutes ago for 3 1/2 oz silver

10. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Wow that's interesting, I always thought the large date to be the rarer!

Thanks Comeaux!

Nice buying Thor, LOVE those 1/2 oz'ers... I have two of the '93's both appear identical.

11. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I allways buy when i think is rare and the price is low.
    And now i think the 1/2 oz are all undervalued.

12. comeaux

Sorry grizzlies I may have been a little misleading in my previous post

From what I have been led to believe and according to the "general consensus" the 1993 S10Y Large Date is supposed to be more elusive than the Small Date and more than likely is.

What I meant to say was that the 1993 Large Date "frosted" appears to me that it is more prevalent than the 1993 Large Date "regular" variety. I wish this would not be the case and I hope I'm wrong because both of my Large Date 1993's are of the frosted variety.

When it comes to the S10Y Small Date then it appears to me that the "regular" is more elusive than the "frosted"

Of course this hypothesis is coming from a "coonass" down in South Louisiana so all disclaimers apply but this is what I have observed so far. More research to come :D

13. comeaux

hmmmmm .... not really sure but wouldnt doubt it. :)

14. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Love the info and pics comeaux, but I have a Q about grading. You or someone else may know the answer..

Given the frosted and non-frosted look so different, how could your 3 coins all be graded MS69? Either the coin in the middle is 'defective', or the two coins on the outside are 'defective', given they were graded before the variety was recognised.

Could one or two of those coins really be MS70s, given they now recognise the variety??

15. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

I would say all 69 because the 2 outside are Large date an the middle is a Small date

16. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

I don't think that's the answer, as the small and large dates both come in frosted and regular varieties... although I've been wrong in the past, and I know I'll be wrong again in the future :)

17. comeaux

Alexisio is correct

The coin in the middle is a 1993 S10Y Small Date "regular/normal" panda.

The two coins on the outside are the 1993 S10Y Large Date "frosted" pandas.

These pictures are not very good as they were some I had taken a while back for archival/record keeping purposes and not meant to be one of my "photography" projects so that is why they may look anomalous

Anyone practicing with coin photography can attest that it can be challenging to get a picture that looks identical to the coin you are looking at in your hand. I have recently begun using a "light box" which is awesome for coins.

Unfortunately these coins in this post were quickly photographed and stored away but so yea Alexisio is correct in his observation :)

18. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Thanks comeaux and Alexisio

Thinking about it I was wrong to use your photos as an example of what I was wondering, given it's a mix of small and large date coins. I'll try to rephrase my thoughts, it's Monday, I start the week slowly... please bear with me :)

The differences between a frosted and regular 1993 coin (small date or large date) are quite big. So before recognising the two varieties were NGC downgrading frosted coins because they looked over frosted, or possibly downgrading regular coins because they lacked frosting? So are there a bunch of coins out there, either frosted or regular, which are graded lower than they should because NGC didn't recognise the variety at the time?

or is frostyness not considered when coins are graded? [made up word... :) ]

In case I misunderstand grading; it's all about the quality of the coin, not whether it's a small/large date, or a rare/common coin
    In case I misunderstand this variety: The 1993 Large date comes in regular and frosted flavours, & the 1993 small date also has frosted and regular varieties

19. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thanks for all the imput everyone! This is an interesting question about NGC downgrading the non frost variety, although I doubt this is the case , the first 93 i had graded was a non frost lg date and came back a ms65 which i was shocked because it did not have any visable scratches , spots or blemishes, but when I got a ms 69 lg date frost variety I thought it must be a bad strike why they graded it so low since the frosted one looked better to me. So maybe there is some truth to that since graders are only human.
    Speaking of that I remember rumors years ago that grading of the future would all be done by computers but so far I have not seen any evidence of this being realistic but who knows....

20. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker