1971 50g Heraeus potential premium?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by sirelothar, Jan 19, 2016.

1. sirelothar

sirelothar New Member

Hello all. I am a new poster but long time lurker here and would like to inquire about the potential premium of my heraeus gold bar. I own 3 of these in total and am interested in selling one of them in the future and interested in what I should be asking for on top of the going gold rate. Thank you for any help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Spot.
    Why does everyone seem to think they should be getting some added value on their bars and coins?
    Sure you may find a collector (sucker) that will pay you more , but if you are buying according to spot then you had better be expecting to sell at spot as well:)
    Edit to add. To Op ,why do you think you should be getting MORE THAN SPOT?

3. sirelothar

sirelothar New Member

Because I've sold some of my old geiger bars for spot plus 100 or so. Some collectors pay a premium for older bullion bars. Shouldn't really be a surprise to you if you've been around for any length of time selling bullion. Thanks for the smart ass answer though, glad I decided to post.

4. bull_bear

bull_bear New Member Silver Stacker

It may not be worth much more than spot - Not because its not an interesting and old bar, but because premiums tend to drop for larger sized bars as the market for 50gram collectable gold bars is smaller than say 1/4 ounce or smaller bars.

Also, as far an I'm aware, in Australia, Heraeus isn't really a brand that is sought after.

5. screaming eagle

screaming eagle Active Member Silver Stacker

You'd be best trying to sell it in Germany, as it's a more desired brand there. They're not an uncommon bar so the premium won't be sky high.

6. SwissSilverstar

SwissSilverstar New Member

Hi Sirelothar!
    Nice ones there... Around here (Switzerland / Western Europe) I would try to sell to collectors.
    Its a niche-market but worth it as I dont assume youre in desperate need to sell (unlike some self declared experts deploying their "whealth" on PM-Forums)
    The stacker-collectors are prone to see the historical aspect and tend to pay considerally over spot, which generally isnt the case with most sheperds due to lack of historical and/or cultural consciousness/knowledge/education.
    Its definitely not some Bullion massproduction and there wont be too many knocking around any more.
    My estimate would be somewhere from 100-150 USS over spot hereabouts.
    Have fun on the forum and dont feel too offended by roughy-thoughy peasants

7. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

Sorry this is complete bs silverstar.

Bar is worth melt value, nothing more.

Additional any potential buyer has to pay 10% tax at EU borders so importing it to Europe is also no option.

Good luck selling it with premium:lol::lol:

8. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Should get a small premium over spot here in Oz. As stated above the fact its 50g works against you as the larger the bar usually the closer to spot.

Gold carries a small premium and this is old and will be collectible and more valued than generic easily faked modern mass produced bullion, id hold out for 5-10% over spot.

Mr milkyspot.. you sound angry, unsure how you're the authority on what someone might pay for this as price discovery via offering it would be the only means of crystallising a buyers price point, your post is absurd in my opinion and to be discounted as an extreme & angry outlyer

9. Topherclaus

Topherclaus Active Member

Milkyspot, you're talking total shit to be honest. Unless the market was entirely flat, there will always be extra over spot in gold sales. Are you telling me you've never paid over spot, especially for an older and foreign bar?

I really feel like you're some investor (of the paper kind) dribbling BS you don't really understand onto this page.

Sirelothar - I think (without being informed of any significance in particular) that you'd easily draw a minimum of $100 over spot, despite being a 50g bar. I'd start at 10% over and let them beat you down. It's quite a beautiful, basic bar.

10. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

I wished him good luck with his premium. Maybe he will find an uneducated idiot to pay a premium on a bog standard goldbar.

Sterling-NZ was correct, its worth spot. Not more or less.

11. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

I sell rare stuff on eBay all the time, huge market on eBay that pays ridiculous money for certain items.

12. encik

encik Member

Many valid points discussed above. Ebay is indeed a good option due to the sheer number of users worldwide. Personal take, bar is probably generic but it is vintage and getting uncommon so there will be collectors out there. I have read online comments on other bar from the same range, saying the logo is an older version (have not done own research on this though). In normal circumstance, think it should be tough getting 5% or more over spot. But who knows, it takes just one keen collector at the correct time and you'd be a happy seller. I guess that's where the "best offer" function may prove useful. Ultimately, you'll need to look at the price level you acquired the bar and whether you'd be comfortable with the profit made (with modest premium estimation) after stripping off items such as auction fee, if any.

Just for reference, an ebay germany listing for a smaller 10g bar in sealed plastic ended this morning with around 8% over spot. Link: http://www.ebay.de/itm/10g-Gramm-Go...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Good luck :)

13. encik

encik Member

Rare bullion? Interested. Please provide a link to your eBay.

14. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

If you sold this bar for 5 per cent over spot on eBay after fees you will be getting 8 per cent under spot. Pretty pointless exercise better just to sell for spot to a dealer. No fees and no risk of loss in the post or other rip offs.

15. encik

encik Member

Yes, true if the potential buyers at the point in time are prepared to fork out only that amount of premium. Which is why it was being suggested earlier to start at some higher price level and I'd say use best offers to arrive at a deal price that is good for the seller. Will need to do own calculations and such.

16. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Spot plus AU$50 is about right for a 50g European bar like this, but you may get a slightly higher premium from someone who wants it for their collection - they aren't rare at all.

17. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

You'll be amazed at what some people will get for old bars. The coin shop bought some for spot, and sold them on ebay for almost double spot.

18. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I really like Heraeus and could never understand why they aren't more popular in Oz.

19. SwissSilverstar

SwissSilverstar New Member

Servus Milkyspot.

ber den Sammlerwert lsst sich natrlich debattieren, doch gibt es die von dem Homo Oeconomicus abweichende Gattung des Sammlers unbesrittenermassen.
    Was mich mehr interessiert ist die Sache mit den 10% Steuern auf Goldimporte ins EU-Land.
    Ab welchem Schwellenwert kommt die zum tragen?

Gruss Danny

20. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is the OP even in Australia?

Selling on eBay as someone mentioned you need to pay 15% fees, so if you don't get 20% over spot it might be easier to sell at spot at a dealer.