1929 sovereign for only 200

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by Dragunov, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Dragunov

Dragunov New Member

Hi, i recently found a guy that sells his 1929 sovereign for only this amount, I think is a MUST and he sent me two pics that i wanted to share with you, because tomorrow i will be paying him and im not pretty sure that its a real one (he says that is not a fake and its a 8gr one). Im not an expert, this piece would've my first gold addition so i just wanted to know if you can see something wrong about these two pics:

Since i have to pay first and there's a lot of fake sovereign or at least with 0.750 mill gold im a bit worried about this purchase!

[​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

To be honest, im in love with this coin

2. Dragunov

Dragunov New Member

3. Sneakypeen

Sneakypeen Active Member

I am not an expert in sovereigns but I do think it is in to good of a condition for his selling price and the age.
    Again I am not an expert.

4. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks fake to me

5. Dragunov

Dragunov New Member

Yeah i was thinking the same, but compared to others on eBay and a lot of them look like brand new, even older sovereigns from 1910 etc

6. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

Ah.

Well, not many people (anybody) discounts a gold coin below the spot price of gold. A full Sov should be Euro 268 plus premium. 300 Euro would be good for an uncirculated coin. 200? Dodgy. Any pawnshop should give him more, unless it's a half sov (which is obviously less than the weight he is citing.

Photos in isolation don't mean a great deal. It looks very shiny (suspiciously so). Sure, there are many UNC Sovs from this era, but there are some very shiny Chinese plated Sovs coming off the lines too, and the coin you are offered may be completely different. There are simple testers you can get, but this deal smells strongly of fish.

If you go into this deal in love, it is likely that you will exit skinned. Don't go into an alley.

7. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

Purely on the basis of the images I don't think it is the real deal. Be careful is my suggestion.

8. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

There is no judgement here!

9. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The image is not clear, but my observation on this fake was based purely on the coin not on the price. Looks like not even mintmark on the coin, but the die print on the coin telling me this is a fake

10. HudsonDesign

HudsonDesign Active Member Silver Stacker

Its very hard to see with the image you have provided. You need a clearer one.

Specifically you need to show the mint mark above the date. (don't tell the buyer that, just ask for a clearer up close picture)

Because to me it looks like there is no mint mark, making it a london sovereign. And there were no london sovs made in 1929 which would make it definitely a fake.

You need to get better pictures and post them again here for people here to be able to be more help really.

But that old chestnut, if it sounds to good to be true.... is probably apt here.