1885 jubilee sovereign?

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by Dusty Roads, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads New Member

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS. I was aware of the jubilee head being 1887 onwards, so I guess it is probally a jewelers copy since the weight and size are correct, a fake would not pass these tests. I thought copies had to be marked or stamped to show what they are. I suppose the hope that it was a rare mule is fading fast, will have to cancel the order for the Mercedes with all the bells and whistles.

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

3. Philski

Philski Member

it isnt right. Wrong Obverse.
    Great copy though.

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

When you say it passed all the tests what actually did you test, I see you did weight and size (Diameter) was there anything else ? Otherwise these two tests will not prove a fake or real coin. Apologies if I missed it mentioned earlier.

5. Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads New Member

Yep, checked weight and size (diameter and width) and all check out. I thought that once these checked out that it had to be the correct gold content at least and not a 9 ct gold coin which would weigh less. Or have I got that wrong? Any adviced re other tests would be appreciated.

6. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

The one problem you have is "thickness" because of the varied up and down surface of the coin it can vary thickness, if someone was going to make a knock off you would adjust the thickness as this is the hardest to test. Unless you have a fisch guide or something similar. Thickness is ALWAYS the area to adjust.

I would suggest you do a Specific Gravity test, this is real easy to do and will give you piece of mind.

Here are a few links worth looking at - http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-79366.html#p79366 and http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-20584-specific-gravity-testing.html

After you have done this I would feel more confident of it being a jewelers copy. With just two tests I would not be confident yet !

7. Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads New Member

WELL, had lots of fun with water, string and scales, so the result was as follows: tested 4 sovs including the 1985 coin , used 4 different weight types ( my scales has settings for oz, ct, gn and g.) all coins weighed the same in all ranges. All coins weiged the same in the sg test , dry weight divided by weight in water, gave me a final reading of 20.43. I know from the article on sg that 24 ct should be 19.3 ( there was no 22 ct rating, 9, 14 18 24 but no 22, strange for a forum on sovs , go figure). My result of 20.43 is higher than the 24ct rating of 19.3, I'm putting this down to the tread I was using, had to double it up to "lasoo" the coin but either way all four coins returned the same result. note. it appears the aussie sov is slightly smaller that the English sov , 21.5mm as opposed to 22.05 approx , checked it out on the web and this confirmed that it was correct. So I think I will hold on to this sov, even if it is a jewellers copy, has past all tests to date, must be 22ct gold and if nothing else I've a coin that's rare, even if it is not the real deal. Thanks all.

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

And you learned a hell of a lot through the process hey :)

9. Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads New Member

Yep, sure did, definitely older and wiser or as my father use to say "knowledge is no burden". Thanks once again

10. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Surprised to hear that after 3 weeks of back and forth you decided to keep what could very well be a jewellers copy rather than exchange it for the real McCoy. When it comes to parting with it or handing it down the generations does it not concern you that it will possibly be passed as the genuine article ? Not sure anyone would wish to pay the proper price with so much doubt to authenticity. You are clearly much braver than most.

11. Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads New Member

Yea, thought about returning it to shop, but it is a really good 'fake' and since it checked out re gold content I don't feel like I've been ripped off so to speak. The guy in the shop has been more than apologetic about the sale, and it was a genuine mistake. I could exchange it but I have had several people check it out and they can't belive that it is a copy even had one guy offer to buy it at the going rate. So I suppose I will hold onto it, more as a curio than anything else. IF I do sell it on in the future I will do so with full provenance , can't be any fairer than that.

12. Billythekid

Billythekid New Member

I 'accidentally" bought one of these too (jewellers copy... probably). Check my post under the GOLD COIN section. Mine showed on a S.G. test to be between 13- 15 Carat though, so I had it changed by the seller.

I'm concerned that both you and I, as newbies to Sov's, were both able to pick them as duds pretty much straight away. I mean as soon as I had mine in my hand I had an uneasy feeling about it.

It was explained to you (and me) that it was an honest mistake. Do you think, on the other hand, you would be lucky enough to accidentally get a rare Numi though??? Not on your life ! They would be cherry picked long before 'accidentally' being sent to you or me.

Question - Are some newbies being taken as fools?

If anyone reading this has actually received a 'nice' surprise (ie more than you bargained for) rather than an unpleasant one please let us know. I'd be interested to hear.

Bill

13. Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads New Member

Hi billy, checked out your post in gold coins, the main difference between your coin and mine apart from date appears to be than my coin is thinner than an origional sov. and slightly smaller, yet it checks out in weight and density, could it be a platinum copy? as this is the only conclusion I can draw from all my testing.

14. Billythekid

Billythekid New Member

I guess it could be platinum. But I thought those fakes were made in the 1840's - 1870's sometime. I'm not really sure.

Yours would obviously have to have been made sometime after the Jubilee head came in in 1887.

S.G. for Sovs @ 22K should be between 17.7 - 17.8 grams/cubic centimetre - 24K is 19.3 and platinum is 21.4

I'm also thinking the obvious flaw in the mismatched obverse / reverse of these coins is a 'keep out of jail' measure by the people who made these coins as they can rightly claim that they have not made a counterfeit of any real coin and that any mug would be able to see that was the case....

Bill

15. Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads New Member

Yep, I agree with that. They created an obvious fake to protect themselves from the long arm of the law. Still it fooled enough people to enable them to pass it off as the real thing. Must get a proper test done to check out its true pm content. Will keep you informed if I get around to it.