$136 Million jewelry heist is a scam to cheat insurance company...

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by mmissinglink, Jul 30, 2013.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

....is what I believe. It happened in about a minute in the Carlton hotel exhibition hall.

Here's what happened I think; the billionaire diamond mogul Lev Leviev concocts a scheme to have a briefcase full of diamonds and jewelry robbed by a paid thief (friend of Leviev) and the thief's helper). Likely, one or all 3 of the private security guards was paid to not intervene in the heist in exchange for handsome payoffs. Since Leviev has taken out a massive insurance policy on his diamonds in recent years I am assuming, he knows that he is set to gain perhaps many tens of millions of dollars by reporting that a massive "heist" had left him with an alleged loss of $136 million in jewelry. But because the diamonds are really not stolen, he not only gets the massive insurance money but recoups the "robbed" jewelry at a later time when all has quieted down. It's an enormous fraud and we all end up paying for insurance fraud in various ways.

This is my suspicion but I have no evidence that this was an inside job.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/cannes-diamond-heist_n_3670762.html