10oz bars that may eventually gain some numismatic appeal?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Sonic, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Sonic

Sonic New Member

I want to go ahead and purchase one or two 10oz bars for my stack. I don't want to dedicate a whole lot of weight this way, but would like at least one just to have something bigger than 1oz coins. I want to find something that is close to spot but may rise beyond that in the years to come. So I thought of the Gairsoppa shipwreck 10oz bars as a possible example. Anything else that comes to mind?

Also, are there any older shipwreck silver coins or bars out there that are well known? This Gairsoppa is kind of flooding the market and if you just type 'shipwreck silver' it's all that really comes up. The mintage is huge so this might not ever be that valuable. But maybe when I'm old and grey.

2. goldfinger

goldfinger New Member

I agree with you that silver bars, especially the larger ones are ideal for stacking. They usually have lower premiums if you get them in bulk, but I am not so sure they would be of significant numismatic value.

Even if they were of an extremely limited mintage, the premiums might be higher than normal.

I've seen people talk about the America the Beautiful 5 oz silver coins being numismatics, but I just really do not see it personally.

Just find the lowest premiums over spot for .999 and you should be fine.

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

In general, all coins, medals, and blobs have a production/distribution premium attached to them. The consistently higher than production/distribution premium on certain modern coins and medals can fairly be said to be a numismatic value. By that rule, some high grade 5 oz America The Beautiful coins have numismatic value as opposed to their value being derived only from the weight and purity of the metal contained therein and the production /distribution premium.

4. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker