100 radical ideas to transform Australia

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by bordsilver, Nov 12, 2012.

1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm surprised no-one has put this list up yet. For readability sake I'll split across a couple of posts. First part of the article which makes interesting point RE Gough Witlam.
    http://www.ipa.org.au/publications/2080/be-like-gough-75-radical-ideas-to-transform-australia

2. bordsilver

3. bordsilver

No mention of abolishing the RBA or moving to sound money :(

4. bordsilver

They previously did some back of the envelope cost savings of key elements of proposals 1-75 and came up with the following:

5. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nuking Adelaide would also secure Tony Abbott's place in history, but I'm not sure that would make Australia a better place to live either.

6. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where would we get the nuke from.

7. GoldenEgg

GoldenEgg Member

Mostly great ideas in there.Only ones i would be against would be removing the F.I.R.B. but in all honesty they are a lame duck paper tiger anyway and kow-tow to the Chi-Coms quick smart.
    Also expanding GST and free trade agreements i am also against.GST needs to be abolished and you cannot compete with countries whos governments subsidise their manufacturing companies (or worse, they are state owned co's)

8. Big A.D.

I wonder if GP will create a new sub-forum called "100 new things for people to argue about"... :)

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Volunteering to moderate? :)

10. browski

browski Member

Personally, I would not remove these; I don't like the concept of private entities controlling all of my Water, Energy, Media, Communication and Science.

47 Cease funding the Australia Network
    51 Privatise SBS
    48 Privatise Australia Post
    29 Eliminate the National Preventative Health Agency
    69 Immediately halt construction of the National Broadband Network and privatise any sections that have already been built
    75 Privatise the Snowy-Hydro Scheme
    71 Reject proposals for compulsory food and alcohol labelling
    72 Privatise the CSIRO

11. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

IF we don't have any I'd be very surprised and disappointed.

Edit to add

I'd hazard a guess that if we do have them they'd be kept very secret and I doubt even the defence minister would know.

12. 2ds

2ds New Member

I'm trying to figure out the ideology of the initial "master mind" behind this.

Like golden egg said about quarter of these just seem to make the whole country easy pickings to predatory foreign powers.
    Another quarter seem to just make problems... (seriously you want unregulated spectrum? you want to get rid of food labeling? You sure you want anonymous political donations?! )

A bunch make no sense.. why are we building lots of dams? Do we need dams? Why didn't I know about this need for dams before?

I'm laughing about 45 Introduce a single rate of income tax with a generous tax-free threshold, hasn't gillard recently done more for this than anyone in the last 15 years?

13. 2ds

2ds New Member

wanna bet they'll be stored in Darwin soon?

14. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

i can see this thread skipping along for a while :D :D :D

15. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Really the one thing that would make a real difference would be to simply stop making rules and regulations based on the lowest common denominator so that the intelligent and motivated can get on with things.

16. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Alcopops tax. When it was discussed the Krudd government bullied the bottling companies to impose the tax and store the proceeds in lieu of the government. It created an accounting problem when following international accounting standards as the tax had not been passed by parliament. It was hence unlawfully imposed.

A year after the companies were bullied into collecting it, the government still did not actually pass the tax law/Act. It was so unjust. The companies knew it, their staff knew it, their accountants and lawyers and auditors knew it.

I've moved on to other areas and have stopped following this issue. I know that smiling nazi Nicloa Roxton wanted to finally pass the Act and realise the tax windfall. But I never heard more in the MSM and stopped following the issue professionally.. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still being collected unlawfully.

17. Big A.D.

The actual nuking would be put out to tender and the contract awarded to the highest bidder.

Why should the taxpayer foot the bill for these things when the private sector can do the job more efficiently?

18. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I thought SBS and ABC were already privately owned by the Labor party already ?

As opposed to the RBA itself managing the destruction ? Do we need mothballed desal plants anymore now than we did a few short years ago ? Do you count Unions using members funds to groom and influence Labor party politics along with pro Labor politik advertising as donations or just opinion? Do you really think Labor would ever introduce a just and even Tax rate ? You were being sarcastic right ?

19. bordsilver

Just on this - 42.(c). It was specifically related to promoting the development of northern Australia (ie Tropic of Capricorn, north) not dams in southern Australia . Part of the issue of unlocking a lot of the potential in northern Australia (including promoting agriculture for our impending "food crisis") is reliable water supply.

A taskforce set up under the Howard Government to look into possible dam sites got hijacked when Labor came into power and "concluded" that there was absolutely nowhere that a small, medium or large dam could be constructed across the entire of northern Australia. This is simply ludicrous. (Personally I think that a lot of other things also need to happen in the north to make a dam viable, but construction should not be impeded for stupid reasons such as bum breathing turtles.)

20. 2ds

2ds New Member

Nope tax free threshold has tripled under gillard

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/00322113.htm apart from that it's the same gradiated scheme...