$1 pickup

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by intelligencer, Dec 31, 2010.

1. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Scouring through a second hand shop today I was flipping through a book and noticed something. I quickly shut the book and paid $1 for my find.

Got home and confirmed what I found, and found a SECOND!

[​IMG]

Original 1966-1967 vintage Commonwealth of Australia One Dollar banknotes. The foundation of our modern decimal currency. I'm going to frame these up I think. I wasn't that interested in the book but in case you were wondering, it was Erich von Daniken - Chariots of the Gods.

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

My dada had $500 worth of 50 notes of these but forgot and bought tyres with them....duh

3. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

The $50 note was first printed in 1973 and the $100 paper note in 1984.

4. Kasanga

Kasanga Member

We gave a old recipe book to my aunt to sell at her market stall as we did not want it anymore she rang us 10 min after we dropped it off to ask if we wanted the pristine $5 paper note and $10 1988 commemorative plastic note that were in the pages.

One nice honest aunt

Two how did we forget that me and mum did it back in 1988 thinking thats the last of paper money lets keep some and one of the plastc versions well you do forget things

My aunt dropped the notes back to us and they are in an envelope now will have to check what they are worth if they had gone to the markets someone would have been happy

5. domdolittle

domdolittle Active Member Silver Stacker

Good find Intellingencer !!!

Silly question: How do you date these ?

By the first letters, I presume, like in this case AAP ?

A couple years ago, someone added two of those notes in a silver coins package that I bought from him... he couldn't adjust the combined postage, so he decided to add 2 consecutives $1 notes for the balance, which I never asked for in the first place.
    I still got them, I think, probably in the 'bits and odds' box...
    I never was a fanatic of notes, but I must say that the Polymer $10, the one with the First Fleet on one side and the beautiful Aboriginal boy's face on the other is my favourite... and I have bought several of them along the years, and still don't know why ?

:lol:

What are those $1 notes worth, does anyone know ?

cheers Dom.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh man what a find! They're not worth a whole lot as I have some of these myself, but from an educational perspective they're fantastic and I'd DEFINITELY recommend getting them framed and hung up! I reckon even a mint condition one like that would be worth no more than $10-$20 today, maybe more if it's not creased, worn etc. I've seen these for sale locally for similar prices in coins stores in Sydney.

Excellent pickup on the book too, that's a fantastic read! They turned it into a great movie/doco as well...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N6Drxzst6I[/youtube]

If you have an interest not just in UFOlogy, but also the nature of religion, history and such things - this is a pretty interesting read/watch.

7. krusty

krusty New Member

for sure He wrote a couple more as well with more of the same 'examples'. Very interesting if you believe we are not alone.

8. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

These notes are usually 'dated' by having a look at signatures, in this case Banks & Wilson, this one sells on eBay from $5- $13 i think.

9. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

It is actually a Coombs and Wilson and it is very close to a first prefix which is unfortunate as you would have had a huge win "AAA" as it is it is then just a General Prefix and could be worth somewhere from $10 - $20ea as they have a fairly large crease but look in pretty good condition.

Good find either way :)

10. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

i still have my first dollar bill i earnt making my older brother's lunches when i was a kid...its not as old as the one you found..nice find//

11. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Never actually read that but heard it's a great work of fiction.