1 oz Lunar Snake V RCM Antelope or Moose !

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by upandaway, Aug 28, 2012.

1. upandaway

upandaway Member

Just wondered what the guys who've been through many a lunar release and are in a tidy profit think of this.

Please note this is not Australia but Euro dealers where I don't think coins are as competitive and subject to taxes. As it stands the Lunar snake appears on sale or you can buy now via authorised outlets but post maybe delayed a few days. I don't care either way.

I have been waiting to see the release price of the limited 1 oz snake and although not that surprised feel here at least, it has still been listed at a pretty high price. I was interested in some 300 or so but have calculated that they are some 30% or so more expensive than the RCM moose and more than likely antelope when released.

Can anyone see that as a wise play for the medium term it appears a lot to make up? I am starting to think I'll buy the RCM coins at near spot and forget the snake but would appreciate your views. The only downside is the milk spot issue but it appears that a lot of coins are starting to see that not just the Canadian stuff.

Many thanks

2. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

What is your holding period for the coins?

For flipping, snakes are probably best.

1-2 year time period antelope or moose are probably best.

Longer term is a guess. The Canadian series ends with the next coin. The lunar series will undoubtedly continue past the current series 2.

At the pre-dragon release premiums, lunars were a no brainer.

I didn't buy the 1 oz dragon coins and busted my Series 2 sets. Also, I am not a flipper. So, I don't expect to be buying snakes any time soon, if ever.

If I didn't already own the moose coins, I would probably choose them because they were released before the antelope coins. No reason you cannot get both of them.

3. upandaway

upandaway Member

Thanks dccpa.

I'd say around the 2 year to 4 year period. Sounds like you have been in these (lunars) for a long time. It may change if the snake comes down after the frenzy and spot falls again for a few more weeks into October. They would look a little more attractive but all this dragon in every size and unlimited minting plus privy's may have diminished the appeal. And it has certainly took the shine off me buying big other than at near spot which they certainly are not.

At least with the RCM wildlife there are only the 6 coins, they appear to have gone down very well and maybe the million has made them that little bit more appealing with a slightly wider audience?

Maybe best to hold on for the antelope, take my chances there will be a lot of snakes still around a month from now and see if the price drops with a few of the real time dealers.

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

RCM if your in Australia or NZ , PM if your not

Plenty of other INTL mints giving a great reason not to bother PM'ing it!

1for1

5. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I really dislike milk spots... they kind of makes koala's look cute :|

6. upandaway

upandaway Member

1for1,

Would appreciate a small list of your potential plays at the moment if you'd be so kind then :)

7. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

2011 Somalia Elephant is doing really well for me but 2012 Taku 1/2 ounce is the stand-out currently.. especally in europe and americas.. also rating RCM moose as the pick in terms of buy vs sell spread.. 2011 Pandas are a good one to pick up.

PM stuff dead in the water.. Kooks low Lunars down around 50% from 12 months ago.. Koala's performing well staying stable.

cheers,

1for1

8. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

looks like the snakies are going to be a flop for short term flippers. long term who knows but my guess is people are worn out from dragon fever and its called clown fish syndrome, hope i am wrong but pretty sure i am right.

its called a hang-over. only real addicts silver the next morning-get burned enough times people learn not to put their hand on the hot plate.

hope i am proven wrong :D

9. Mr.G

Mr.G Member

Everybody appears to be ordering up big on snakes, based on what can be seen in snake pre order threads.

My guess is the number of speculative "flippers" in the secondary market will be very high. My interpretation is that many of previous year's secondary market buyers are now trying to cash in as flippers to make up for paying $80-$100 for dragons.

I expect ebay saturation and secondary market prices to not stay above $55-$60 for more than a week.

Mr.G

10. upandaway

upandaway Member

Been keeping my eye on the big European dealers and what's going out of stock as we probably all do in our own back yard! Interesting (or certainly for me) They've RCM bears,cougars and moose. Moose now completely out of stock already and they cannot source more. I would take it on face that this has been one real popular coin in the series?

I will pick a few more of these up if prices soften as I expect over the coming weeks. Still a few places doing them at good prices.