KooKoo for Kooks.

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by barsenault, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Coin King

Coin King Member

Yes, imo square caps as well as the golden toning greatly improve the older kookaburras, and you can tell if they are remints

Also the older gold kangaroos in square capsules look awesome.

2. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry for bumping a kind of oldish thread, but I was hoping someone could help

I am looking to collect 1 of each 1oz Kook from 1990-present, and from what I understand the 1990-99 originally came in square caps, and 2000 onwards in round caps?

When getting the 1990-99 ones, should I be aiming to get the square cap ones, even if they have toning/aren't mint, or should I get the round ones if in mint condition?

I know it might sound like a stupid question and square caps might be the obvious answer, but I've read the square caps can cause toning/issues over time where as rounds seem to be pretty bullet proof

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

(PS: I'll be storing these in Air-Tite tubes, which obviously squares couldn't fit in, which is why I am considering round capsules for 90-99 coins)

Are 90-99's in round caps worth less? I know the rounds are re-mints

3. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

barsenault, why are you using Apmex prices for kookaburra coins? Since they changed the business model. the bid-ask spread on their kooks is ridiculous and the most important reason why I haven't bought any kooks since 2014. Except for 1994, 1997, 2004 and 2006, they won't offer much for your kooks. They aren't even offering on out-of-stock 2002 kooks. A lot of times they don't even respond to offers to sell for things they are out of.

BB, see my post. The Apmex business model changed in 2015 or 2014. Provident did the same in 2015. New ballgame for kooks in America. Good for them, bad for us.

4. StewyD32

StewyD32 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Earlier kooks in or out of the square capsule if in the same condition will roughly be the same price from what I have seen.
    You just need to ask yourself seems you are collecting them is whether you want them in an original state i.e. square capsule.
    The square capsule has a gap on all sides for some reason so it is not air tight at all so getting one that is in a square capsule and not toned will be hard.

As you said you'll be storing them capsules yourself so I would just pick up a good quality one that cheap and if it has toning just clean it up.
    (I picked up a nice 1990 kook in a square capsule and like it the toning.)

5. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the reply Stewy :)

In terms of value though, if I have the 90-99 range in round capsules, and not square capsules, is it considered less value, or not original etc?

I'd prefer round capsules to fit in my tubes, but understand that squares are the originals so am torn as to which way to go

6. StewyD32

StewyD32 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Im new at this so have only a limited time viewing kooks unlike alot of people here how have years so they might be able to pinpoint price variations for you.
    However from what I have seen its 50/50 depending on the buyer. Some buyers would prefer the whole "authentic" look having a kook in a square capsule with toning and others would prefer to have a clean kook in a new round capsule.
    From a personal viewpoint I would like it in an original capsule and a little toning.

It will really depend on the buyer.

Just buy a crap tonne of both to cover yourself :p

7. silver addict

silver addict Active Member Silver Stacker

the square cap kooks may be a couple of dollars more over the round caps

or just get a set of square capped kooks and a set of round caps as you might find a kookaburra box to

display them in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would concur with that. Nice to have a set of the originals in square capsules to complete the stack of Kooks