The Queen of All MCM ;) 120mm 1250+g of pure awesomeness ;)

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Stark, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi folks,

To finish year with something special... ;)

Friedrich Nietzsche once said:
    "Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you."

I was dreaming about this medal for a long long time. Probably became obsessed with it. I had it saved in my browser so every time I opened it it was opened as a first page. Yeah, crazy.
    Long time ago the one listed on eBay was sold out. I thought I missed my last opportunity. Luckily I was wrong.

Basically the whole 2016 I didn't spend much money on coins and medals just to finally get this one. And it seems that the medal was waiting for me (and seller also).

I tried to make a special video for it, but it was not so easy as you can see. I'm always super excited when holding this medal. With a little bit more patience and tries I could do a better video.
    Sorry for shaking hands.:)

If I'm not wrong this is the first video of the medal.

Some "technical" stuff:
    Year: 2012
    Material: 999/1000 Silver
    Diameter: 120mm
    Weight: 1250+g
    Mintage number: 99 (according to my data 9 were minted, although some say less than 20)
    Mint: Shanghai New Century Medals
    Designer: Tong Youming
    Antique finishing

Hopefully this will shed some more light on this medal and series. Mr. Tong Youming designed all other medals in the series. As a owner of the medal I'm biased, but I would say this one is the best of the series. Mr. Tong has many years of experience and he is truly an amazing artist. What some can do only paper he can do with medals. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHUzqC_FPc[/youtube]

2. Stark

I think Pirocco once wrote this for the medal:
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...rettiest-and-most-beautiful-silver-coins.html

Other from the series:
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...ge-centre-new-lunar-year-of-the-x-series.html

Some nice pictures:
    [​IMG]
    Source: https://world.taobao.com/item/19319489071.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.2014080708.6.z3gqVd

[​IMG]
    Source: https://world.taobao.com/item/19319489071.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.2014080708.6.z3gqVd

Have fun!:)

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

It's an extraordinary medal for sure! The super high relief and the detail of the design is stunning.

The fact that there apparently are less than 10 of these medals minted sure adds to its appeal.

I must buy one even if that means selling some of my favorite US Mint coins in order to do so!

Thanks for sharing Stark!

4. Clubbernut

Clubbernut Member

Wow!! I've always had a thing for this medal but never realised they minted any in silver. You lucky lucky chap!

5. perfulator

perfulator Member

For such a medal, shaking hands are mandatory :) Congrats!! Awesome! Certainly beats my xmas presents all together....

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Congrats on the nice score!

I've always kinda liked this one, too. But I can't personally justify spending that kind of $$ on 1 piece -- though can certainly see why some would!

Must be a pretty awesome sight, in-hand. Enjoy! :cool:

7. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Congratulations and Happy New Year!

8. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Bravo, bravo, great score!! Super, duper! Excited for you.

9. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The designer is one of the famous in China. He is from Shanghai mint but assisting some private mint in design and engrave. Shanghai mint old designers are the master as comparing to other 3 official mints. However, Shanghai mint also famous in producing white spots like panda expo 1, Long corridor and mountain resort of classical garden and guan Yin series.

This snake is really a wow. It has the famous designer and good minting quality of private mint. Congra

10. Stark

Wooow guys, thank you for so many replies and positive comments! :) In the past when I posted I something I was happy if I could get more than 2 replies. :) To be honest (and with no false modesty :p) I would say this medal deserves it.

I will try to comment on all of your replies.

I think you won't be sorry if you "exchange" it for US mint coins. ;)

For me it was opposite (I'm not 100% sure as it was quite some time ago). I was first aware of silver version. Later I discovered there are also brass and copper.

mmissinglink posted very cool pictures about the brass version here:
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...ance-a-truly-magnificent-medal-revisited.html

:) It's definitely crown jewel of my collection.:)

Yeah, it's crazy. It's so much stuff out there I would like to have/or dream about that it's hard to be disciplined. I decided I will try to buy less and that would mean something more to me. It's still good to have some coins that can be sold if needed.

11. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Congratulations!! This has to be one of the most sumptuously gorgeous medals ever made. I wish I could see it in person!

12. Stark

Thanks, same to you. :)

Thanks. :) I know you have so much great stuff I (or many others) would like to have. If we manage to keep all this stuff for kids or somebody to "pass" them the collection I think would be quite nice. :)

Thanks Andy, and also thanks for additional info as always. I was trying to find some other stuff from the designer. He did a lot of great stuff.
    Even though some people prefer official mint medals, some private mints achieved some great work.

Thanks!:)
    I wish I sent it to barsenault or Andy to do better video and pictures of it. :p :)

13. mmissinglink

With many medals, whether from China or any other place, I usually like one side a lot more than the other side. With the Snake Dance medal, I can't decide which side I like better! Both sides are awesome!

Which side do forum members (who like this medal) like better?

14. Stark

To help you easily decide :p :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dunno, for me it would be also hard to decide. For a long time I slightly preferred obverse, but now I would maybe select reverse (if I really had to). Pictures (and video) don't show good, but reverse also has very high relief.

I forgot to mention one cool thing. COA number, actual weight, and silver purity are engraved on the rim. To have COA number is not so "uncommon", but I never saw medal or coin with weight rounded to 2 decimals on the rim before.

15. mmissinglink

Wow...that is unique i think. And the reverse is as stunning as the obverse....definitely on my to-buy-soon list!