Legends of Asgard: Max Relief the star of a beautiful new Odin coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Aug 22, 2015.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

How is the selling of the Valkerie going? is product moving as much as the Odin? Price appreciation hasn't happened as much on the Odin (as I would like), which is a bummer. I wonder if the delay of the 2nd issue has hurt the excitement of the series? These are all questions, NOT assumptions. If db24 or his resellers can comment, Id much appreciate it

2. FirstCoinCompany.com

FirstCoinCompany.com New Member Silver Stacker

We would say sales have been brisk and Choice Mint has added a number of new distributors as the series gets more positive attention. Price appreciation has occurred with Odin, with a starting issue price of $179 sales on eBay have been plus $50 which is a 28% increase in a short time. Better return than most asset classes. Choice Mint is not trying to shoot the moon with prices but rather steady increases over time with their coins.

The delay of Valkyrie was a good thing. Choice Mint wasn't satisfied with their first two dies and by the third and final die 4 months had passed. Dies and minting production take time, no other way around it. But if you look at the incredible strike quality of Valkyrie we think you'll agree it's an amazing design. These coins are not cast, they are struck. There's a lot of misinformation out there from people making incorrect assumptions. When more collectors have the coin in hand prices will move up accordingly. Choice Mint would prefer to have the best possible product versus pumping out less than satisfactory coins. The best Quality at a reasonable price for collectors is Choice Mints goal. We hope this answers your questions.

3. barsenault

Amen! That was some great information. Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. I do have one of the Valkyrie, and it is beautifully struck. I put the Odin and the Valkyrie next to each other and had my 3 kids choose which they like the best. All 3 chose........Valkyrie. LOL. And they really liked the Odin.

I'm all for quality.

Thanks again F.C. These answers give greater clarity on these coins.

4. barsenault

5. SilverevliS23

SilverevliS23 New Member

6. barsenault

I wonder how the 2nd in the series is doing? I have a hard time believing it is following in the footsteps of the Odin. I don't see the same amount of activity around the 2nd as we did around the 1st. When is the announce for the 3rd? Will there be a 3rd? Inquiring minds would like to know...aka, me!

7. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

The third coin has been announced. The subject matter is Ymir.

8. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

http://norse-mythology.org/gods-and-creatures/giants/ymir/
    Ymir (pronounced "EE-meer;" Old Norse Ymir, "Scream"[1]) is a hermaphroditic giant and the first creature to come into being in the Norse creation narrative

I wonder what this coin will look like...

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

It's a really difficult space ("ultra modern" - a term PCGS uses - http://www.pcgs.com/news/ultra-moderns-coin-grading-102/ - silver collector coins) to be successful in I think....partly because of the depressed precious metals market, partly because of the space being so competative, and partly because of a seemingly waning interest in coin collecting by the general population, many who rarely ever even see coins in their daily life anymore with money devices (credit/charge cards) in use by the vast majority and digital technology making transactions with physical currency a thing of the past.

If an ultra modern coin can be consistently successful, it's really a testament to the smarts of designers and mint.

10. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Having seen a preview of Ymir I feel it is the best looking of the series to date. It is rather normal for a first coin of a series to have a great amount of interest surrounding it. Even more so when it is venturing into new waters. I feel long term holders of these will be happy, short term flipping is always more difficult to forecast.

11. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally I prefer King Arthur series than Odin. Valkyrie looks great too

12. SilverevliS23

SilverevliS23 New Member

Where did you see this preview?

13. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

It is not publicly available at the moment.

14. SilverevliS23

SilverevliS23 New Member

Ooooohhhhh.... well aren't you special!

15. barsenault

Funny story. I couldn't even sell my Odin for $149.00 on an eBay auction. After fees and shipping, what's that? Maybe $130.00 piece? OUCH!! NOW, that is crazy. It may be a nice piece to collect, but don't think you'll be making any money on these. Lol.

16. mmissinglink

^ Ouch. :(

If I were to try to sell my silver blobs, I'd be taking a bigger hit than that.

Some intrinsic value. :rolleyes:

17. barsenault

^^^
    Yeah missing, I'm wondering if a $99.00 blue light special would have attracted someone's attention? This series had so much promise, but unfortunately the release of it couldn't have been more poorly timed, and I'm afraid it really hurt this series. Oh well.

18. mmissinglink

It is quite odd that within a short time frame, if I recall correctly, like 3 different series of silver coins with depictions of Norse mythology were released. It's happened with a few other themes and I think the market gets same theme-saturated quickly and with that comes a disinterest or disdain for the theme. The market seems to prefer and like fresh themes....I think it's just part of normal human nature to be that way.

19. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi mmising

The soft market and without new ideas, theme and technology of the medals and coins which lead to fierce competition. Price war and significant price reduction is the easier way out to compete. However, I do not view this is the better competition edge. This is vicious circle which kill of many resellers and dealers. One of western mint distributor has went down in Singapore few weeks ago. Another distributors in Malaysia who is my friend is jam with stock which mint force him to buy at XX amount per month in order to maintain the distributionship. I pretty them which the margin is so lean and jam stock and cashflow. Soonner later those new distributors and sellers with weak arm will leave and die off. This happen many decades till now.

The westerners try to follow the High relief medal like China than issued similar theme and design to compete each others. It is tough fight.

Consumer has too many choice and little improvement tend to weaken the market. However, determination, hold the forge, new theme and idea and technology and innovation will help in those competition as long as the price is affordable to the target customer group.

20. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

The market is soft right now. I am buying many coins at 1/2 the price I would have paid 12 - 18 months ago. So I don't feel it is much a statement about Odin as the general market. I am buying lots of different issues I see as a bargain right now and would be advising others to buy right now also.

As for Odin, if you really want to sell it I would just put it up at a price ( a profitable price ) and wait. It will sell but it is hard to force the issue on a coin like this ... patience will be rewarded.