Silver Queen's Beast: Griffin vs. Lion?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Gatito Bandito, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Talking about the 2-oz bullion version.

Anybody here have both?

How would you rate the Griffin compared to the Lion, in-hand, in terms of design & quality?

Seems like the Lion is the better design. On the fence with the Griffin's design.. Is it worth it?

Yet apparently the quality is better with the Griffin, though.

And yeah, I've seen YouTube vids comparing both, but it's hard to tell just in video.

Thanks!

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

First in series would be a better bet.

3. Pandahunter

Pandahunter Member

Have both like both. I really think JC has done a great job with the series so far.
    I guess design is personal preference. Some may believe a magical bird with wings looks cooler than a lion with a crown, in hand the design of the griffin looks alot cleaner visually than the upright lion. In terms of quality they seem the same to me - unless there's been a change in the production line of how the coins are banged out prob no difference there.

If you must only choose one over the other, as altima already pointed out i'd say go with first of the series.

4. Radio8tiv

Radio8tiv Active Member

I got both and they are on the way, should be here next week would be interesting to compare the two side by side

5. JEM

JEM New Member

I have two of both. The quality on both is really nice.

The Lion design is better but more just because of the subject matter. A lion seems more regal than a griffin.

Both designs are as if the beast's are on top of the coin obstructing parts of the outer ring where the date etc.. is located. Look at the lion's paws and the griffin's wings covering the III and the 2017.

I like the series and plan on collecting two of each design. I bought the 38mm x deep air-tite tube with 10 capsules to store the first five designs.

6. ColoradoCoins

ColoradoCoins New Member

When in doubt, first in the series. Interesting that at the Mint's site, the Lions are 2.5 pounds cheaper/coin. Trying to clean out stock?