Tracking your bullion

Discussion in 'Wealth Creation & Management' started by PrettyPrettyShinyShiny, Dec 16, 2016.

1. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

It's high time we returned to the topic of "How to track your assets".

While counting the plastic hidden under the mattress is a sure-fire way of knowing how much you're worth, the rest of us noobs investing in shiny metals may find themselves in a conundrum when wanting to know 'at a glance' what they've got on hand, how much it was worth when you bought it and what it's value had done since.

Personally, I've been using the classic 'write in on paper/ keep receipts' method, but it just doesn't produce the graphs I've been yearning for.

Here's a site I've been perusing - https://www.bulliontracking.com/

and another.. http://metalquick.com/

However, I'm having trouble accessing the Free Trial with bullion tracker as the confirmation is not being sent to my email :/. I haven't done anything yet with metalquick.

So, I'm more than happy to hear ideas and what everyone is doing to keep a watchful eye on their holdings. I have used excel spreadsheets, but gawd are they unwieldy and just outdated when it comes to smart phones and 'on the go' tracking.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

PPSS

2. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Nice handy way for the government to know what you've got :D

TxMoon likes this.
  3. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Who says it's a secret, Captain Paranoid ;)

4. SilverDJ

I'm taking the piss. But you know, this is silverstackers, so just got the joke in before someone else comes along and seriously warns you against it.

5. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Warning against keeping a track of their stack? Just out of interest, what's your advice - what're you doing?

Cheers.

6. SilverDJ

One problem with these bullion tracker systems is you can get an accurate estimate of the metal spot value at an instant, but it can tell you nothing about current numismatic value added over time (if any)

7. SilverDJ

No, warning against keeping track of it using an online program and database, because, you know, Uncle Sam is watching.
    The conspiracy theorists will now doubt tell you it provides the government with an easy access portal to track your metal and hence know who to raid when they come to get it (and if you are American, come take your guns as well and put you in FEMA camps)

I use dealer storage, and their online system instantly tells me my portfolio value.
    If you are keeping your own physical outside of that, then a spreadsheet should work just fine. I think there are threads about spreadsheets on here.
    Not sure I see the value in fancy programs like this, all that functionality could be easily replicated in a spreadsheet.

8. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Spreadsheets are ugly and unwieldy, but I suppose each to their own. I found a website called metalgains which suits my needs personally and I didn't have to set anything up (and it's FREE).

So I think for FREE, it has a crap ton of value in it for me. While it doesn't show numismatic value (which often is pie in the sky and doesn't always pan out at the expected value or timeframe), it does show my ounces and transactions. It's certainly not a perfect solution, but it's a lot better than my previous system :/

Cheers for the input

9. SteveS

SteveS Member

Nothing is free.

10. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

I didn't pay for it with $. You're getting all "pay for it with your time, blood sweat n' tears, soul etc etc"? You knew what I meant. So, yes. It was FREE.

11. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Spreadsheets dont have to be "unwieldy".
    The advantage of it over your listed websites as Silverdj put it is no one but me has access to it.

12. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just checked out http://metalgains.com website. The elements they track are exactly the same in the spreadsheet I use.

Spreadsheets can be online too. Using a Google Numbers sheet and you have access anywhere and from any device.

13. GRETZKY427

GRETZKY427 Active Member Silver Stacker

Dont track your items as this give less leverage for the Government to know what you have hence they can not confiscate it off you.

Same as the less money you have in the bank the less they think you have, but you keep your money and your silver/gold elsewhere (NOT IN THE BANKS)

Just my 2cents.

Cheers, HAPPY STACKING :)

Greg Williams likes this.
  14. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You will never know the please of opening a box full of stuff you had forgotten all about. Like finding treasure