Kungfu Panda is here! NGC's new label

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Stark, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

NGC seriously, wtf!?

I know that some people will actually pay to get these kind of labels, but I think that things went too far. Especially as the coin is not related to Kungfu Panda except for having panda on it.

This is making coin collecting looking like not a serious hobby.
    I usually like when people want to make some "innovation" or making things funnier, but come on, where will this end?

As I said in some other topic. It seems that it's not far time when people will collect coins and medals because of labels.

Even though it's not much better or different, why not make an own original label or a different holder?

[​IMG]
    Source:http://m.ebay.com/itm/132032300452?_mwBanner=1

I'm not in any way related to MCM or NGC.

Looking forward to next special label with Barbie in different clothes and colors...

2. Stark

It seems I accidentally created 2 topics. Can you please delete the other one?

3. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Eveebodeh wuz kung foo fighteen' ! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnvciB8R3UA[/youtube]

EDIT: Check out the kick at 1:55 by one of the hottest gals in the room !

4. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Perhaps they are trying to attract younger people into the hobby via KungFu panda? Trying to expand the market is not a bad thing. If a fraction of the kids bought the kung fu panda label just because 1.) they like the move 2.) they like the panda that would certainly pull several coins out of circulation and introduce many new young people to follow up series, like fantastic beasts (queens beasts) or any of the other licensed coins. As they get older, its easier to transition them to base metal as they make money? I duno. I say better than not doing it. If this is only for adults and most of the collectors are getting old and starting to drop, who's going to take their market share..

Just a thought.

5. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There are more than 10 ngc labels for 2016 panda coins

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It is marketing pure and simple. Anything to squeeze a bit more out of the dwindling number of collectors.

I recognise that this type of marketing is not aimed at me and I am able to ignore it. It no longer gets me annoyed because I realise that this is not 'my' hobby, it doesn't belong to me. It belongs to a very diverse group of buyers and sellers and third parties.

There is space for scratch and sniff lenticular coloured coins in non-standard shapes that will never circulate and there is space for medieval hammered coins just as there is space for Perth Mint Lunar Series. The problem is that all these different people are pretty much considered to be the same, coin collectors.

Most people look at coin collecting as being a bit weird anyway so I don't think that the hobby is negatively affected by this sort of thing. Most non-coin collectors will never even notice that they exist anyway.

I gave up collecting packaging variations and ongoing series a long time ago, they no longer interest me. But they must appeal to someone and it is nice to see those people in the hobby catered to.

7. Bosse68

Bosse68 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have found atleast 18 different labels

8. Stark

I understand what you want to say and probably at least partially agree with you. As I'm not kid anymore (probably :p) it's harder for me to understand how they think.
    However I'm not sure if labels are really good way to introduce kids to coin collecting. It's somehow similar like trying to increase their enthusiasm for reading by book covers. Which is probably happening anyway.
    Additionally I'm not sure if I would like to have kids that are "addicted" to coin collecting, especially considering it's very expensive hobby and most of the people start collecting when they are older.

Dunno, maybe it's just me. I'm not collecting coins and medals so long, but somehow I'm already getting "tired" with some things. So many new releases, "innovations", labels, etc.

Maybe coins and medals with special labels might be worth more, but for me paying more for the same doesn't make any sense.

What I would prefer is that NGC improves their customer support, at least when it comes to the Florida office.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have pretty much stopped buying anything made after the 1970s. I have the circulating precious metal coins to collect which interest me more, just bought 100 x 100 silver yen from the 1950-60s. That will take me a while to sort through!

10. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Personally, the character on the label is not a big deal at all to me....I don't get bothered with marketing like that. What I find very problematic is the misleading and dishonest terms such as "First Strike" and the faux signatures on some of the labels that can only be confusing and is a dishonest marketing ruse by TPGs that do that.

Also, I think there is a problem with the grading "flexibility" that TPG's seem to be embracing. If a coin graded MS64 20 years ago, why would it be possible or likely that the same coin submitted today for re-grading get graded 65? Seems like TPG's are becoming too "flexible" with the scale.

These are the things about the TPG encapsulation that are more concerning to me.

11. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

I showcased this same label at the Chinese Coin Forum some time ago: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11980.0. I lost count of the label varieties after cataloging them for some time.

It also has to do with marketing.

Large volume coin sellers can commission distinct labels and other coin packaging variations with NGC in an attempt to attract more customers.

One advantage of the multiplicity of label designs is that you do not have to worry about keeping to one design when building your collection. It used to be "brown" label Vs "red" Vs "Panda" label. Now, it doesn't matter!