Maintaining and storing your silver coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Tsuda, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Tsuda

Tsuda New Member

Hey to all. I'm new to silver coin collecting. I just wanted to get various thoughts concerning maintenance and storage of your silver. I've read a little on the subject. Most coin collectors say do not clean your coins. I've seen one article state only clean a coin to remove dirt. And do that with only distill water, mild soap, and acetone to rinse. I'll just keep my coins out of the dirt.

Storage of coins seems pretty basic also. Most articles state store your silver in a temperate dry place. Do not store in a wooden box, especially oak. I guess decaying wood can emit acidic vapors and thus damage the coins. I've seen people recommend anti-tarnish strips and silica gel packs. Use Mylar capsules. Has anyone had any problems using the capsules with a foam ring? Is there any way to prevent milking?

I have also purchased cotton gloves to handle the coins. Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Happy Stacking,
    Tsuda

2. Golden

Golden Member

The less you touch them (even with gloves) and clean them the better.

Just leave it alone. Most people can't do it.

3. Tsuda

Tsuda New Member

Thanks Golden.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Welcome to the SilverStackers forum, Tsuda.

Storage of silver is an ever evolving "science". Milk spots are still somewhat of a mystery in terms of whether or not there are ways to predictably retard their development if the spots are prone to developing in the first place.

As for storage tips, it depends on what products you are storing and who you think will be your buyer when it's time to sell.

I stack silver blobs (common, non-denom bullion) and collect silver coins from bullion to numismatic. So my storage needs are somewhat varied. For blobs, I am not so concerned at all about how they are stored but for the collector (numismatic and semi-numismatic) I take measures like sealing capsuled coins in 2 layers of plastic and using desiccant as a general rule of thumb.

Of course, keep any collector silver coins away from PVC that has plasticizers in it.

Good luck with your storage.

5. Tsuda

Tsuda New Member

Thanks mmissinglink. Good idea on using two layers. What are your thought on using capsules with a foam ring inside the capsule.

6. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Welcome on board!;)

I put all coins or medals that mean something more to me into 2 CoinArmour bags, which I then put into another bag that is vacuum sealed.
    For more "common" stuff I use AirTite tubes.

As mmissinglink I also use silica gel bags, quite money. The best ones are the ones which can be re-used by putting them into oven and have some indicators, so you can see when they should be "recharged".

I don't use foam rings much. If the coin is "jumping" around then yes.
    One coin that I stored with foam ring developed milkspots, but I doubt it's related. I hope.

For at least more valuable things it's good to inspect capsules for cracks or damages. Tiny crack may lead to toning. My favorite capsules are from the AirTite company. When you put coin inside you almost have a feeling you could stand on capsule.:p So it's always good to have some capsules in reserve.:)

Happy stacking!;)

7. windmill2

windmill2 Member Silver Stacker

Recently I read on another forum that putting copper in same container with silver coins can deter spotting.
    Certainly would avoid some disappointment if it works?

8. Tsuda

Tsuda New Member

Really good info Stark, and I will try out the copper trick Windmill2. Thanks for all the good info.

9. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

10. Phil_Stacker

Phil_Stacker New Member

Sacrificial cathode - yes this works - however air-tight (or the brand air-tite) is far better than a non air tight container with a copper coin.