A NEW SERIES IS COMING VERY SOON...

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Luker, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Stroctor

Stroctor New Member

I had emailed the mint about what is going on with the series because I am an impatient bastard. He is their response in case anyone is interested....

Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:39 AM
    To: Stroctor
    Subject: Re: Zodiac Series

Everything is just fine, we closed our shipping department for a while to catch up on projects.
    We are now back on track, updates/emails will post shortly.
    Thank you for your patience!

I agree, I am curious as well what the new designs will be going forward. So far the quality is excellent. I ordered 2 each of the silver thus far.

2. mkv

mkv Member

New Update from SM Mint (on their website):

"We have received and approved the new capsules. We apologize for the long delay, we were at the mercy of the capsule manufacturer and had to get squeezed in to their schedule. The design of the new capsules is the same on the exterior as the previous ones, only the inside is slightly different to assure that all our high relief surfaces are properly protected. Now that the capsules have been approved, we are waiting for manufacture and shipment of our order. Once received we will ship as soon as possible. We do not have an exact date yet as we are once again at the mercy of the capsule manufacturer but we are getting very close now that the sample was approved. Although this delay was a slight setback for the series, we assure you that we have not stopped working. We are planning on releasing the next 2 issues of this series, Gemini & Cancer in the very near future so we can ship at the same time as Taurus! But our good news does not stop there, we have been making great progress and anticipate that the series will be complete by the end of 2015. And to top it off, we have received sample images for 3 styles of display cases, to hold 12 (silver or copper), 24 (silver & copper), or all 36 issues of the series. We are now waiting on samples from the manufacturer to approve. Our apologies for the delay, we thank you for your patience and we are confident that you will be pleased with the results!"

3. -j-p-shmorgan

-j-p-shmorgan New Member

4. mkv

mkv Member

New Update from SM Mint (on their website):

" Taurus silver & copper is now shipping, thank you for your patience!
    Gemini & Cancer (silver, copper & gold) will go on sale as soon as we are are finished shipping Taurus.
    We received a sample of our display box for the Zodiac series, we are VERY pleased and are positive you will be too. It will be available in three versions, for 12, 24 or 36 medallions, we will let you know as soon as they are ready for purchase and we will post images at that time or sooner as well."

5. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

any word on the monkey skullsi can't wait to see what they look like!!

6. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

You can actually sign up for updates and check for the latest updates here: http://www.smmint.com/

Look toward the very bottom of the page.

7. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

LEO & VIRGO on standby.

8. mmissinglink

I really like this series....the designs are original and very high quality.

9. mmissinglink

10. mkv

mkv Member

Some additional news: "We know everyone has been waiting for these 2 releases and our apology for the delay. As some of you may know, we had a bit of a problem with someone trying to steal our intellectual property of the Lunar Skulls coin series. Not only did they attempt to manufacture and distribute a product using our name "Lunar Skulls" but they also spread lies to many parties, some of these lies even made their way to internet forums & message boards. We took action against the company, the mint and all distributors of this product and this issue is now at rest. All sales and manufacture of this product have been terminated. For those of you that may have been confused, this was nothing other than a fraudulent, counterfeit product in violation of international intellectual property and copyright laws."

Also, based on signature on the coins, they again asked Kiana Roo to help ;)

11. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

LEO is wonderful; VIRGO is beautiful!!!!!

12. TasAg

TasAg Active Member

Would be nice to see Libra & Scorpio or at least hear of progress.

13. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

14. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

At first I thought i was late to the party and missed the initial offer price, but apparently that's not the case. The libra in particular looks cool to me.

15. TasmaniaChrismy

TasmaniaChrismy Member

Agreed on Libra. Scorpio is super cool. I think the postage costs has increased.

16. mmissinglink

Since I am collecting this series, I find the news of the 2 latest releases music to my ears. As is usually the case with high relief designs, the pieces look better in hand than in flat pics. Nonetheless, here are the initial sample pics from the website:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.skullcoins.com/zodiac2015/

17. Luker

Luker Member

I had largely forgotten about the series, and must admit was thinking that perhaps it had been discontinued.

Happy to see that it has survived .
    I had been anticipating the Libra (as that is my sign) and it doesn't disappoint.
    Picked up two Silver Libra and one of the silver Scorpio rounds as an early Christmas present to myself.

As an aside, looking back over the past year (2016) , it seems that there wasn't many silver proof/commemorative coins that I had a great desire to purchase.
    I mostly purchased bullion coins (Queen's Beast series, Reverse Proof Isle of Man Silver Angels, RCM Cougar, RCM Superman) select YPS Poured silver , and the 20oz Scottsdale Kit Kat Bars

Cheers,
    Luker

18. mmissinglink

I suppose putting out a high relief round in 3 different metals every month is extremely ambitious.

Libra and Scorpio are among my favorite Zodiac signs and so I was really looking forward to these 2 releases.

My personal feeling is that the Libra and Scorpio are a noticeable step down in quality from all the previous releases....it could be argued that this is merely my personal opinion. But I'm going to make my case with a picture comparison of a previous round, Aries.

So for example, look at the details in the skull of Scorpio vs details in the skull of Aries. Similarly, the bones in Scorpio look flat and almost featureless compared to Aries.

[​IMG]

As for Libra, it is even worse in my opinion. The art is almost kindergarten-like. Maybe it's supposed to be that way but in comparison to Aquarius and Virgo, it looks very disappointing.

My guess is that it's a different artist that has designed Libra and Scorpio.

I really hope SM Mint brings the quality up to snuff with the final 2 issues. It would be most disappointing to see this series end with 4 poor quality designs.