2015 Nanjing Mint Panda Release

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by KeepOnTrying!, Nov 26, 2016.

1. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

This is just coming out of the blues so to speak but Lucky has on his LuckpawnshopDotcom site what seems to be a 2015 Nanjing Mint Panda medal series on pre-order for delivery on or after December 30, 2016. I just saw the medals at his web site a few minutes ago.

Varieties on the site are the following:

Brass (mintage 199) @$60.
    Copper (mintage 99) @$100.
    Antique copper and brass (mintage 30) @$500.

There is no mention yet of a silver or antique silver variety on his website but I am virtually sure it will mirror the metal profile of the 2016 medals.

This is a bit of an unusual mintage given that the 2016 medals were released prior to this 2015 mintage. Probably an attempt at continuity of the medal series which in retrospect started in 2014; this could be regarded as a "missing link". :)

Disclosure: I collect medals in this series. I have also sold some extras. I placed an order a few minutes ago for these medals.

2. numistacker

numistacker Member

Its a slightly unusual one but thats not a problem. One of each ordered for the set.

3. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Another great thing about the 2015 medal launch is that with a 2017 medal release there will be a four year medal series in place. Great for collectors!

4. numistacker

numistacker Member

Thats a great point a 4 year series has legs and I hope that from 2017 they focus on even better execution as 2016 was awesome.

5. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

Antique copper and brass medals gone from luckpawnshop. Sold out?

6. numistacker

numistacker Member

Some say the pandas look like rats or moles or racoons but I say make up your own mind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkA906nXu_M[/youtube]

This video covers the:

Brass: Mintage 199
    Copper: Mintage 99
    Brass Antique: Mintage 30
    Copper Antique: Mintage 30

Hope silvers will be up very soon.

I like it - Barsanault thinks i am easily pleased and he may be right, but I particularly like the way Nanjing Mint do Antique releases now, much nicer than the work of Shanghai for these types of coins (medals).

7. Clubbernut

Clubbernut Member

First few times I saw these I thought they were ugly and had no intention of buying one. Then after a few beers one night I decided to take a punt on the $60 brass version - turned out to be a wise move. They look way better in hand and the great Wall really pops out. I've since ordered the other 3 and love the antiquing. Whilst the pandas may be slightly rat like, my only gripe is the big old 2015 in the crappy font!

Anyway, lucky gave me COA #8 on the antiques and so well happy

8. Clubbernut

Clubbernut Member

Garrrgghhh! Watched your vid Numi which alerted me to the fact that the silvers were now available. So I emailed Lucky and he just sold out! Should have emailed him earlier in anticipation of their release, more fool me :(

9. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

10. Clubbernut

Clubbernut Member

Well actually both - I guess his English is a little sketchy and made it sound like he had none of either. I even checked his site and eBay listings and couldn't find them. So a big thanks for pointing that out Bob!