Silver - a store of value? Really?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by mmissinglink, Nov 16, 2016.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

^ Those seem to be good buy prices.

2. SteveS

SteveS Member

As of today, silver is worth exactly the same as it was in April 2008, except the AUD22.00 you'd get today will buy you a lot less.

3. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Gold on the other hand is up 50% over that same period. Not bad.

4. Phil_Stacker

Phil_Stacker New Member

My question would always be, price is set by supply vs demand. Less supply = higher prices, higher demand = higher prices. Relatively unchanged supply and demand = relatively unchanged price (in net present value - inflation adjusted). So for future prices to increase, either supply or demand must change. In my opinion, both hold true for gold and silver.

I believe that gold will be the future benchmark of currencies again (this is a guess/belief, with no evidence to support it).

I believe that silver will increase in demand with battery, electronic and photo-voltaic technologies (again, a guess/belief).

So I see both going up, but both long-term propositions.

5. SilverDJ

I think that's quite likely also. Especially if there is some sort of huge currency crisis as many predict. Probably more chance of it now that Trump will be in office, I think he's a gold bug.

6. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

You don't need evidence, you know, just some basis that supports your belief.
    I can't see much indication of it though. Worlds central banks, as a whole, became net buyers after decades net selling.
    There is a clear correlation (one could call this "evidence") between gold price and central banks selling/buying of gold.
    A switch from 400 tonnes selling annually, to 400 tonnes buying, has a price impact of 800 tonnes.
    Central banks will never link their currencies to gold again, instead they'll continue to limit cash, and inflict speculators less gold (when buying) and less fiat (when selling). Just by "following" savers/speculators' actions.
    The time to buy gold is when central banks net sell. And sell when they net buy.
    That is storing value in the own pocket, instead of governments one.

7. SilverDJ

So you are selling now?

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The value of silver is always subjective. It's value certainly isn't the same today as it was in the past to most people. Most people place a much greater value in fiat currency than they do in a blob of silver.

Silver is useless without fiat currency to the vast majority of people since silver doesn't and hasn't functioned like money in at least several generations.

Silver isn't a store of value any more or any less than copper is.....each priced accordingly.

If you are one who believes that the price of silver is completely manipulated by the dark forces (or by the large financial institutions) then why on earth would you ever believe that these same dark forces will some day magically back the fiat currencies that they use to "enslave the masses with their debt" with silver or gold??? What sort of cognitive dissonance realm are you living in???

:rolleyes:

9. windmill2

windmill2 Member Silver Stacker

Obviously never watched the lone ranger as he dealt with the local crims and rode into the sunset chanting,

" hi ho silver, away."

10. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

For the record:
    - I never bought gold, only silver, for various reasons including governments gold stocks.
    - I'm not a cyclic buy / sell person, all I did so far was stacking silver, until end 2014, were I decided to suspend it.
    - I'm a sucker, since my first and biggest purchases were when spot was USD $32 in 2011. As a superficial (a focus in finance is very dangerous) I was misleaded by QE and doom stories. Only later on, post mortem, I did the homework I should have done at first.
    - All my statements are based on free available data I collected around, and still do, albeit I put alot less time in it now, so some outdating is possible.

Storage of value is a trader not a product property.
    The world is a bucket of risks. There are times that it's all frontrunned, narrowing down choices to a least loss. I think that's now the case.