Pictures - Choice Mint 2016 3 oz silver Valkyrie Max High Relief

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Nov 16, 2016.

1. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

theres so much going on here its hard to figure out who's calling who what

2. Phil_Stacker

Phil_Stacker New Member

Look - it's beyond reasonable doubt that a user was listing a specific web page repeatedly, and that's all they were doing. They were called out on it and now they are offering other posts.

Nobody (as far as I am aware) found that "specific" web page interesting in any way, and it was at best click-bait. There are several reasons for doing it, because "back-links" from a legitimate site like this increases the legitimacy of the posted website. There were also "sock puppet" (alt/alternate accounts) that opened up just to defend them. There was definitely grounds for calling them out on this.

That said, I found this post interesting and I liked the picks, and the administrator has asked us to stop calling people out on their previous actions. So unless the back-linking happens again, lets consider this a fresh start. Ok?

3. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah. I'm also sometimes confused and need to check again before posting it.:)

That's why forums still remain active. Maybe less than in the past. It's annoying if everything would be reduced to the Facebook level of "shares" and "likes".

I think there are a lot of posts that start with just a link, a piece of news, video, etc. Not only in this subforum.

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

You don't get to determine what is and what isn't an appropriate coin website / page that forum members can post links to. That's very arrogant of you to presume you can. If any alternative account was opened, I had nothing to do with that. I myself don't have one.

I have posted hundreds of links to various web pages, some of them links to pages where the coin in question can be purchased including various eBay sellers. I am not alone in posting such types of links. In fact, I appreciate when others share pages where items they refer to can be purchased.....this is a good thing for the people who may be interested in purchasing what is being written about.

Besides, if the admins feel there's a problem with certain links or threads, then they can notify the member or end the thread.

5. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

So how's the valkyrie doing performance wise?

6. mmissinglink

7. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

OUCH! Someone snagged one up for $157.50. But the rest of the sales seem to be around the same price as you can get it from the manufacturer.

8. mmissinglink

Yes, someone got very lucky indeed! I do shop a lot on eBay because of the great deals one can get. I have seen many coins sell on eBay for considerably less than dealer's sites. Certain types of "silver" products you have to be cautious about whether it's fake or not, but if one is reasonably intelligent, one can know which items and which dealers to be most leery.

9. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Anyone know how the Valkerie is selling? I have to imagine in this market, they've slowed down considerably. I'm glad they made the decision to do 3 or 4 in a set...because I'm really not sure they'll make it to 12. You don't want to be holding a bunch of inventory as you're minting the next piece. Hopefully the next one helps this series picks up steam. I've been trying to sell an ODIN on eBay for ultra low price, to no avail. I may cut short my sale. It's nuts.

10. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Milkspots, too many (new) series and quite low chances are more and more pushing me away from (modern) silver coins. Even though I don't care much about profits and I like shiny silver stuff I think it's just harder for me to get excited. I overspent way too much, but with so many new series it's getting harder. With quite some series I lost interest after first coin. Some new theme comes out, suddenly we have a bunch of coins with skulls, Norse mythology, etc. Always trying to reinvent something also doesn't help much.
    Maybe I sound now like an old guy complaining, but money is not growing on trees, milkspots are not going away and many stuff is just overhyped/priced. I know every coin cannot be Britannia 2014 proof or smth else, but come on.

11. mmissinglink

I wanted to give you a thumbs up on that comment but it seemed inappropriate considering the difficulties you are having with selling the Odin. :(

I think there are several factors which seem to be affecting what seems to be poor sales for many modern silver coins:

1) A seemingly overall negative sentiment by many regarding the value of silver in a slumping bear/consolidation market. This negative sentiment might be leading to some people pulling their money from investing it in silver and instead putting it elsewhere....perhaps even gold for some.
    2) An utter over saturation of modern silver products (coins, rounds, bars, blobs) in the market.
    3) The dreaded milk spots

As much of a critic as I am of some of the myths about silver that are perpetrated by many stackers (for example, that it has intrinsic value), I still like silver for long term and the fact that there are remarkable quality modern coins and medals that are produced in silver but not in gold, makes me a die hard fan of modern silver. :)

12. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Seeing those prices, I'm glad I didn't pick it up. The delays no doubt hurt. I'm off this train, as well as a bunch of other trains. Risk/Reward ratio isn't there, hopefully there is the collector market that will help it out

13. mmissinglink

You mean specifically the Choice Mint Legends of Asgard series? What trains are you still on board if you don't mind telling.

14. jcanuck

jcanuck Member

I suspect the other biggie hurting this series is the 3-6 other Norse Gods series that are or were being produced at the same time. Sure, this coin is 3 oz and the others are 2 oz, but that only gets you so far.

15. barsenault

especially with spot at 16.00. ^^^ It's how I think. $200.00 divided by 17.00, it's about 10 oz of silver, if one chooses to play spot price, and forego the beauty of a coin, which it appears a lot of folks are doing.

16. mmissinglink

Ignorant stackers who think that it should cost the same to produce a coin and accompanying presentation material like the Valkyrie than it does to knock out 3 of these:

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

17. barsenault

^^^, trust me, I get it Missing. I'd put up my collection of numis and semi numi coins against anyone. But I also understand the rational of folks buying blobs to play the spot price at these levels. If folks get blobs at spot or with a little premium (say $16.50, and spot goes to 21.00 and they dump, making $5.00, and they bought 100 or 1000 oz, even if they sell a little below spot, they're making a bundle more than trying to capitalize on a numi play like the Odin. Just playing hypothetical. Actually that scenario did just recently play out, didn't it? folks bought some blobs at 14 bucks, and unloaded at 21.00...7.00 return on a 1000 blobs ain't bad. Those Odin's are making those kinds of returns...nor most, if any numi plays.

So, at the end of the day, a person needs to decide if they a collector, an investor or both...I'm both. :) I should NOT have bought more than 1 of these Odins for my treasure box, thinking I was going to make money, because that's just not a reality. My bad. I should have looked at these with collector eyes not investor eyes. Because I think I'll be lucky to get $150.00 for these if I went out for auction. I did learn my lesson however, and bought just one of the Valkerie for the treasure box. :D

Anyway, in case anyone thinks Missing and I are mortal enemies, nothing could be further from the truth. We are very good friends, but we like a healthy debate every now and then, and we don't take our exchange personally. :lol:

18. mmissinglink

I think both blobs and collector coins have their own inherent risks.

19. barsenault

Yes, and their own inherent rewards. :=-)

20. Phil_Stacker

Phil_Stacker New Member

Nope - coins side by side are like low premium vs collector's piece. The detail, case and sheer art work of these are just incredible.