Fantastic Beasts. New JK Rowling silver coin from CIT

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by AgAuNEWS, Nov 17, 2016.

1. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Another great piece of work from CIT. Smartminting doing its job again. I reckon US buyers might love this one as the design is very US government looking. An ounce in weight for 150 dollars. Ships in a couple of weeks

http://agaunews.com/cit-2017-fantastic-beasts-silver-coin/

[​IMG]
    Source:

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looks pretty cool!

4. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Why putting Queen on the reverse (besides that author of the books is from UK)? If I'm not wrong there are some restrictions regarding US coins and what is approved by govt, only official mints?

Design is nice, but with the Queen it looks like make America Great (Britain) again.:p

5. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

There's more chance of chocolate coins becoming US legal tender than there is of the US Mint releasing a coin like these.

6. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

Lovely coin. Haven't seen the movie yet but I love the coin. I think this is going to be a series :)
    Alex.

7. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

nice enough, price isn't though.

Will be another pump and dump, then after a bit everyone will forget it exists.

8. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

i like the coin as well, but geez $150/oz is madness.. Not much room on that one to appreciate, lots of room to depreciate though.

9. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

150$ for a coin with the mintage of 5000. Hmmmmm.

Maybe they hope Harry Potter fans will go crazy.

Who knows. I think as Aureus said prices will drop in the future.

I burnt quite many times with new series. 1st coin looked good, next ones far less.

10. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

The price is not so appealing, but maybe there will be many Harry Potter & Co fans that will create more demand than expected.
    I think either will be a failure or a success, no middle positions.
    Alex.

11. Sully

Sully Member

That got me pondering.
    My instinct tells me any hope of success (value shooting up) this coin has won't be driven by Harry Potter fans.
    And when i say any hope it has - that sounds dismissive of it but i certainly don't mean to be.
    I too love the design, but as all seasoned buyers are thinking and have already said here, it's just too cheekily expensive right out of the gate, and the mintage is too big.
    So that rules out a whole bunch of initial buyers straight away.
    The issue price has already gobbled up the reasonable increase it might have expected to get over time.
    Had it been $90-ish i'd be delighted to own one just for myself even with the 5000 mintage.

I feel it will be a success for sure, they'll sell eventually, the HP brand will see to that, but i have doubts the serious fans will go manic for one.
    Will many HP fans who aren't coin collectors suddenly like-omg-have-to-have-one no matter the cost, even if they're aware of a coin existing in the first place?
    I think they'd rather spend their money on other merchandising.

And the enthusiastic HP fans who are coin collectors.... hmm....
    Hard to know. But speaking for myself, i think collectors who are willing to pay for a coin the kind of figures we'd be talking about in the future, are of a certain age bracket, and with that age comes a certain clinical way of looking at things rather than a strictly emotional and hype driven purchase (especially for a movie tie-in which will see interest wane in that time).
    I have my doubts even the serious HP fan, who happens to collect coins too, falls into that bracket of buyer.

But hey, i'm ok with having a good laugh at myself if this time next year it's selling for double.

:D By the way, i too can confirm i am not mmissinglink, as someone of the tinfoil hat brigade suggested lately.

12. jchrisrobledo

jchrisrobledo Member

As a Harry Potter fanatic and avid coin collector, I was SO excited to hear about this coin a few weeks ago.

But as everyone says, I got sticker shock when I saw that price. I know it's a numismatic and low mintage... the boxing is really nice as well.. but still, that is a hefty price for a 1 ounce numismatic. And the design is really nice, but just a logo. Most 1 oz numismatic is like $70-$100 USD and this is like $150!

That new smart minting (that I just heard of and am researching) is really cool. Thanks to this article I looked up that the Thor's Hammer coin and that is AMAZING. And what is annoying is that the Thor's coin is heavier, lesser mintage, looks to be more high relief, and only $50 USD more than this Harry Potter coin!

The price is really making me hesitant but as I said, being a Harry Potter addict, I will probably purchase it. I think the mint knows there is a following and they jacked up the price. J.K Rowling could slap her name on toilet paper and it would sell like hot cakes, hahaha.

But I'm not too worried about making the purchase. A lot of my numismatic coins (Disney and Looney Tunes) are for my personal collection that I purchase because I enjoy the theme, and I'm not looking to turn a huge profit.