Tokelau lunar series discontinued

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Sully, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Sully

Sully Member

One of my favourite lunar series has ended suddenly. :(
    The Tokelau lunar family series. (image here of the first 3 reverse proof bullion)
    [​IMG]
    I asked the creators 'Treasures of Oz' what was happening with the rooster, as usually they were one of the earliest to release their lunar.
    Got this reply;
    Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately, this year, the major wholesale distributor for our Lunar Family series decided to withdraw from promoting any lunar issues as the market in Eastern Europe is in decline. Without their orders (which accounted for over 90% of the mintage), it was not feasible to make a small quantity of coins - at least not at a price that would be acceptable for collectors. Instead, we only issued a single lunar coin this year - the Mirror Roosters, with a tiny mintage of just 500 pieces.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this.

They mention a major wholesale distributor withdrawing.
    Based on what i have read here from an article by MCM back in 2014, https://www.moderncoinmart.com/info...the-creators-of-the-tokelau-lunar-series.html and that it says in the article MCM were appointed exclusive distributor at the time, i'm assuming it is they who pulled the plug on this beautiful series.
    These semi numi rev proof bullion coins were expertly minted, reasonable premiums for top quality, had low mintages, had quality capsules, i never found any defects or milking either.
    The perfect recipe for a fussy git like me.
    Such a shame.
    I know they wouldn't have been to everyone's liking, but i rated them very high.
    I had hoped to see all 12 in a nice case one day......

2. jcz1

jcz1 Member

I liked this series at the start, but then it proliferated into too many varieties and I gave up. In addition to the reverse proof, they added a regular BU coin, a gilded coin, and an antique coin (and maybe more?).

If they had stuck with just the well-done reverse proof, it might still be around.

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I only bought a few of the snakes, wasn't a fan of the other designs. And the coins developed toning as well. Bummer.

4. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

Thanks for confirming what I had already assumed. They were the first release of the new year for a few years (June) and when months went by with no release I assumed the series had died. As others already mentioned, in 2014 they got greedy and went overboard with the different variants, then in 2015 they kept the premium on the Goats too high, killing interest and sales. Then they foolishly put out a boring chimpanzee instead of an actual monkey, *AND* raised the premiums (at least here in the US) to absolutely insane levels, over 3x spot. That killed it for me.

5. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

This series had good designs and decent quality strikes. The competition for Lunar coins is stiff being that the Perth Mint is sort of the defacto Lunar coin producing mint among most Western collectors I think.

The New Zealand Mint, in my opinion, produced a very nice looking and excellent quality colored Lunar coin series.....this is the 2008 Rat from that series:

[​IMG]

Since I haven't followed the series after the Snake release, I'm not sure if that series is still alive.

6. Sully

Sully Member

All true. And i am wondering how many of those decisions were made by their major distributor rather than 'Treasures of Oz' themselves.
    Relying on one distributor to handle over 90% of your range doesn't sound like the best plan.

7. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

co s hard to sell

8. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Don't like colored coins, but this is really nice.