How accurate is the Panda Price Guide?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Silverpv, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I'm just wondering if the price guide is fairly accurate when purchasing pandas and what to expect when buying? Should I expect to be paying 10% over or under? What is the avg going rate for ms69's in the 200x minus the key dates 02/04/06? Any advice panda hunting?

2. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

common sense - the less you pay the better
    best price guide for me is eBay

3. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

ebay prices range quite a bit, yes less you pay the better. But if you look at current prices on the bay, vs the guide. Ebay is much higher. The variance is why I asked.

4. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

guide price for rare panda always too low
    better follow market price

i never follow any book pricesalmost wrong for old coins

usa germany and china market prices totally different
    some very cheap some very high

5. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I highly recommend the Panda Price Guide. It comes with useful hunting info too.

6. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have used pricepedia BUT sometimes it is unrealistics because you are not able to get the coins as their price in ebay.

Another point is not all years has recent transactions. All private transactions are not capture at all.

In the end I decide to terminate the subscription.

7. Struggle Street

Struggle Street Member

Is the Panda Price Guide available in Australia or do I have to order it from o/s?

8. Jens

Jens New Member

TBH i'm not exactly sure what you refer to when you talk about "the" price guide.
    NGC Chinese Modern Coin Price Guide? PCGS Price Guide (China)? China Pricepedia Price Guide? Chinesecoinslive?
    But all of these come as websites or pdf so i see no problem getting them in Australia.

9. whinfell

whinfell Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10. Struggle Street

Struggle Street Member

Thanks for all that. I was referring to the book by Peter Anthony.

I know absolutely nothing about Pandas other than I like the look of them. I have picked up the odd one here and there over the last 20 years and I think it would be better for me if I new exactly what I was/am looking at.

11. KeepOnTrying!

KeepOnTrying! Member

The new edition of Mr. Anthony's book is expected to be released before the end of this year. I can notify you when it is released. I am quite sure it can be ordered online from Australia.

12. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

The "Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide" is a book, not a price guide and doesn't have any prices in it unless they are historical references. China Pricepedia is a price guide that is delivered worldwide as a PDF file at least once a month. It contains two major categories of prices: auction prices and for some coins CP Prices. CP Prices are my personal estimates. These represent what I believe a coin is likely to bring at auction if it is up for public sale. Besides auction prices some of the other considerations are scarcity, market trends, dealer buy prices, hidden supplies or buy programs, etc., etc.

If you want to buy a coin at retail the price may be higher. If you sell directly to a dealer the price paid (as it states on every page) will probably be 20% less. That, of course, is an average, too and dealer buy prices vary widely. But, if you find the coin up at a public sale it is my experience that CP Prices are usually fairly close to the final result.

Unlike other price guides there are condition notes to help explain unusual prices. That means a coin with white spots, or unpleasant toning is noted so the reader doesn't conclude that a low price is normal. There are also prices for sets, some circulating coins and anything that I feel would be of interest. Auction prices indicate the region where the bidding took place.

There are many.many dealers who subscribe to China Pricepedia and use it as a primary resource to price coins. A subset of China Pricepedia appears in the NGC Price Guide. The NGC Guide includes Panda and Lunar coins and if you are looking for prices of graded Pandas you might start there. China Pricepedia includes all that plus many other series. It also includes exclusive articles and insights.

For another week or so subscribers can also buy ungraded silver Valentine Pandas at the original issue price of $118.88. A couple of days ago a donated Valentine Panda sold for $295 (2000 RMB) at a charity auction in Beijing. That is not a suggestion of a market price, it is just what happened. BTW, the money raised at the auction goes to a school in China and will help buy a heating system for the children.

You can find out more at www.pandacollector.com.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    www.pandacollector.com

13. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I'm still waiting for this new book!

14. Bosse68

Bosse68 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You and me both :)

15. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker