Thoughts on Royal Mint's 1918 and 2014 India sovereign two-coin set

Discussion in 'Sovereigns' started by westminstrel, Oct 22, 2016.

1. westminstrel

westminstrel Member

Hey guys, a couple years back, the Royal Mint has released a two-coin set with the 1918 and 2014 India sovereigns. Apparently there were only 100 sets created and it seems to have been long sold out at the mint.

The only substantial information I could find on it is here: http://news.coinupdate.com/royal-mi...gn-coin-set-with-distinctive-i-mintmark-4623/

There's a dealer in India selling this set for INR 74,000 (equivalent of about AUD 1450). Does any one have any thoughts on this set?

EDIT: I also found this: http://agaunews.com/royal-mint-celebrates-return-indian-struck-sovereigns/

2. betterlatethannever

betterlatethannever New Member

I have a set that I put together with them inside a nice box that I purchased from Apmex in the US,plus mine are graded by NGC with the 1918 Sov being a MS64 with the 2014 (edit 2013) Sov being a "Gem" being MS64-66.

I also have a printed small red card from the Royal Mint with some details on it being Sov weight 7.98g from memory etc.

3. Trident

Trident Member Silver Stacker

That's a low number of SETS but the 1918 India Sovereign mintage total is1.3 million.
    The set is only the packaging. Maybe check the mintage number of 2014 before deciding.
    $1450 AUD sounds pricey to me.

Looks like they didn't mint again until 2013, 2014 and 2015

As a side note, if you get that set, and want to keep going with the collection, Royal Mint Bullion website currently has 5% off the 2015 Gold Bullion Sovereign struck in India. Royal Mint Bullion international shipping is more costly than the Royal Mint though- would depend on where you are located.
    Seems like a good price though converts to $450 AUD (280.65).<--I'd be more tempted by this!

DrakeSterling has some 2013/2014 graded ones.

Royal Mint Bullion also has The 2014 Half Sovereign Gold Bullion Coin Struck in India with 10% off.

Different packaging to the one you are looking at, the 2015 is in red blister pack credit card in red presentation box (not the wooden box).

4. westminstrel

westminstrel Member

Thanks for sharing that. I've seen the 1918 MS64 go for about AUD 600 or so, while the 2014 is (I think) available for about AUD 600 or so? Which means a total of around AUD 1200.

For the Royal Mint set, they don't specify the grades of either coin... I suppose the higher price mainly has to do with the special packaging.

5. westminstrel

westminstrel Member

Thanks very much for your reply.

You are right, after 1918, they have only struck Full Sovereigns in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, and the Half Sovereign in 2014.

I have seen the 2015 Full Sovereign on the Royal Mint Bullion website, and while the 5% discount does shave off a wee bit, one needs to be aware of some additional costs. Shipping to Australia (where I am) is approximately GBP 25, and the only payment they accept is by funding one's Royal Mint Bullion account via international money transfer which incurs, at a minimum, about AUD 20 in bank fees. So the total cost would be around GBP 325 (or AUD 520). So anyone considering this coin or other bullion products on there should probably look for a deal on ebay or, as you mentioned, DrakeSterling (though these are priced higher, but are also graded).

By the way, the set I enquired about is one I will have to ask a friend to get in India. I am tempted, but since the grades of the two coins aren't specified, it feels like the price is probably for the packaging.

6. betterlatethannever

Edit - 2013 Indian Gold Sov - NOT - 2014 my mistake :)

Indian Gold Sov 1918 - 2013 - 95 yrs in the making :p

7. westminstrel

westminstrel Member

I believe the 2013 India Sovereign was also released in a limited quantity to some VIPs in India at its launch. They were graded GEM UNCIRCULATED by NGC and were distributed in a wooden box with a certificate of authenticity.

Is this the 2013 "Gem" you are referring to? If so, wow! :)

8. betterlatethannever

No - mine was purchased from ebay already slabbed by NGC - No - - - - - - - - :p and my 1918 NGC MS64 was also purchased on ebay all now happily living side by side with me :)

9. westminstrel

westminstrel Member

Hahaha! So it's been a happily ever after. Thanks for sharing the story :D

10. Stax

Stax New Member

I've started collecting any 1918 India's I come across.
    If the India mint produces some 2018 sov's, I reckon collectors will be falling over themselves to get a 1918 to make a pair.
    Just my opinion.
    What do you lot think?

11. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Quite a good idea.

12. betterlatethannever

It kills me to say it but I agree with you Julie :)

13. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You should know you all eventually do!

;)

14. westminstrel

westminstrel Member

That's interesting. One thing to note is the Royal Mint currently has only a 5-year licensing agreement with MMTC-PAMP India to produce the "I" sovereigns, running from 2013 through 2017.

I suppose if you aren't paying too much of a premium on the 1918 sovereigns, it should work out well for you regardless of whether they do a 2018 I sovereign or not. Let's hope they do :)