NKOREA COIN PHOTOABLUM AND DISCUSSION-ONE OF JIM ROGER COIN INVESTMENT

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by andrewlee10, Apr 19, 2016.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    North Korea's "International Friendship Exhibition Hall" is located in the UN recognized biosphere reserve of Mount Myohyang which show an enormous collection of gifts (estimate 100,000 items) given to Kim Il Sung and his son Kim Jong Il by various other communist, terrorist, and despotic regimes like the Green railway cars from Mao and Stalin, a bronze tank from the USSR headquarters in East Germany, a gold cigarette case from Yugoslavia's Tito,a 25-watt boombox from the People's Republic of China Communist Party which seems kind of cheap, considering, a gem-encrusted silver sword and reproduction of a Moslem mosque from Palestinian leader Yassar Arafat, and an antique gramophone from China's first premier Zhou Enlai.

Ironically, the "International Friendship Exhibition Hall" is few gifts have indeed been given by the democratic western world are proudly displayed. USA did gift a book, vase and mirror, three pewter and silver pieces and two homemade art objects. Micheal Jordan signed basketball is among a gift from Madeleine Albright. Canada gave North Korea a polar bear skin, and someone gave a tiger claw positioned as to be tearing through an American map.

North Koreans have almost no contact with the outside world, and "International Friendship Exhibition Hall" is one place that the citizen are allowed to see many of the goods from around the world to build the the leaders image of universally admired and lavished with gifts.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is international friendship exhibition hall. As told the coin was specially minted for the participation as VIP gift. Total mintage 60.

The VIP gift set come with box. However, the smuggle set no box LOL. Some corrupted official stole it and sell.

I have few left for sell if keen.

2. andrewlee10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rising above Mansu Hill in North Korea is a soaring pegasus with a pair of citizens riding the majestic beast into the metaphorical future. This is the image of Chollima, one of the most important symbols in North Korea.

Located in the North Korean capitol of Pyongyang, the towering statue is a monument to Korean workers, the symbol of which crowns the monument. The symbol itself is of Chinese origin, a magical horse that is so fast, no man can mount it, being an Eastern allegory to the pegasus. The name even translates to "thousand-mile horse."

The symbol was introduced to North Korea by in 1956 by Kim Il-Sung, who used it as the mascot for his Chollima Workers Movement. The country was in need of rapid reconstruction following the Korean War, and Il Sung used the slogan, "Let us dash forward in the spirit of Chollima!" to invoke the mythical creature's speed and perseverance over seemingly impossible goals. The campaign seemed to work too, leading to years of rapid reconstruction. Unfortunately people are not magical, tireless horses, and by the 1960s the movement had petered out for the most part.

However the Chomilla remains a popular icon in the country, even lending its name to the national football team. There are small versions of the statue to be found all over the country, but the main Chollma Statue in Pyongyang was built in 1961 and stands over 150 feet tall. Despite the legend, it does not move at all.

THIS SET IS SPECIAL BECAUSE THE LEGAL TENDER OF THE BRASS COIN AS SAME AS SILVER COIN EXCEPT IT DOES NOT INDICATE PURITY.

10 SET AVAILABLE.

3. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

If you continue posting, soon I will be buying only NK stuff.;)

4. andrewlee10

I will posting trial note soon

5. andrewlee10

Jin Hongdao "Elk Fairy" original painting.

"Elk Fairy" is the ancient Korean painter Jin Hongdao famous works. Jin Hongdao (1745 ~ 1815 after) the ancient Korean famous painter at late Joseon Dynasty.

He draws a lot of people and officials to admire his painting and gift him silk until no place to place in the house. In 1773, at the age of 29 he has served a variety of position with the emperor. His representative painting are "elk fairy" "custom map quote", "landscape painting post", "donkey listening to Ying map" and so on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mintage 3,000
    Diameter 40 mm
    Year 2016
    weight 20 g
    Face value 5 won

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Very nice!!! Thanks for posting.

7. ZROGST

ZROGST New Member

Hello I am new to this board but I have been collecting NK banknotes for a while now. I would like to get some PM or other-metal Coins from NK from reputable dealer or slabbed. Who can I contact? Particularly love the Chollima, Arc de Triumph, & International Friendship Exhibition coins that Andrewlee10 posted. Where can I get these? Thank you

8. andrewlee10

You can contact me directly.

9. andrewlee10

Here the new one:-

better photo next few week. Silver and brass available

[​IMG]

10. andrewlee10

Here the 5 oz green vase. mintage 50 only,

[​IMG]

They make it in high relief BUT not as good as china medal. Grading of this coin will be 66-69 for history grading record of NK big silver coin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. andrewlee10

As told that many north Korea coins are using hand carve die.

Below are the photo which use laser engraving so all room top are very systematic.

[​IMG]

Here the hand engrave die which roof top and brick are not equally due to hand carve is unable to achieve consistent result as machine/laser die.

[​IMG]

this photo is more clearer to show the hand engraver

[​IMG]

12. andrewlee10

Latest Grading result. The PF70 of Monkey lunar is only 1 Pop in PCGS grading result as at now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Stark

Andy, thanks for sharing all the info and shedding some light on the NK coins.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=271654

Here is some more info. Debate is quite often spinning around political stuff which I prefer to avoid. I don't collect these coins because I'm supporting NK government or something, but because I like some of the coins even if some are more "boring" than Chinese or some other coins.
    And it's somehow cool to have something from this "exotic" country about which not much is known and which I will probably never visit.

It also seems there is some progress in the minting.

14. andrewlee10

The person is too eager to sell as my view. I know him in person. He insert the footnote to look for resellers globally as new members so get hit by many. However he did a correct and proper disclosure that he is seller.

The dragon 20 oz minted more than 10 and available oversea more than 10 pc not 5. All of it go to 2 sellers in overseas. I know both of them too lmao. However I feel a price too high and always graded as pf66 to 67 only. So I make a pass on all big coins. One good things of nk big coin is medium high relief. However, Low technology in coining and hand crave lead to Low grade.

My biggest nk coin is 5 oz which I pay more for pf68 becuase I prefer higher grade.

The older days North Korea coins were mainly distributing to Europe especially German so the german member of ccf get access to it easily than others. I did have some leaders photo coins in silver, aluminium and nickel.

Too lazy and busy so many stuff are not post here and our webpage especially the gold coins.

15. Stark

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, he is "advertising" stuff a little bit too much maybe, but he admitted he is doing to gain money.

It's cool that he is posting pictures so you aren't too stressed to post everything yourself.:p

Yes, it seems that one member of CCF from Germany who is participating in that debate has a lot of knowledge about NK coins.

16. andrewlee10

Yes too busy at this moment.

I cannot fin d the lucky draw software which can collect entry information like name, email, contact details for the lucky draw. Any suggestion from member?

17. Stark

Unfortunately I cannot help you with a specific program, but I would just put all participants into Excel list or some other list and use https://www.random.org to get a random number - number of the row.

If you don't have participants in one list it might be more difficult.

I hope I helped you at least a little bit. I'm pretty sure that a lot of similar stuff is done in not too complicated way.:)

18. andrewlee10

no politic only coins

[​IMG]

kilo likes this.
  19. Stark

Nice collection!:)

20. Stark

Andy, don't know what happened with your pictures on previous sites?:/