Today I Bought...

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by bloomst, Apr 24, 2013.

1. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

Latest pickups...
    [​IMG]

2. milkyspot

milkyspot Member

Sadly i purchased those before the drop this week, but how should one know that :/

[​IMG]
    Source: Team rocket

3. betterlatethannever

betterlatethannever New Member

Sweet :p

3.8oz = 38 x 1/10oz Panda's :p = :p and :p

Please correct me if I'm wrong,but be gentle :lol:

Too nice :)

4. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ram 1/10th proofs.
    [​IMG]

5. SilverSiren

4 sheets of ten 1 gram pandas

6. r1lee

r1lee New Member

Added another 4oz's.

[​IMG]

7. Noxx

Noxx Member

Some guy on ebay was selling all his 1980's panda gold coins at $100 per 1/10 oz. He inherited them and had been selling off the entire collection. I bought 9 of them. My first gold coins ever. Couldn't pass up that price. Sometimes it pays off to be up really late and at home on a Friday night surfing ebay.

8. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hmm, that's actually below spot price! Either it's a nice catch, or you should def check if they're legit.

9. r1lee

r1lee New Member

added 11 2oz Queens beasts today. Not a coin collector, as I'm more about being close to spot. But i think these are the nicest coins.

[​IMG]

10. SilverSiren

itm 351891570041 was just sold for $100; it looks fake to me. I would assume the photos are intentionally poor quality.

11. Noxx

Noxx Member

Guy has perfect feedback as a seller and been on there for a long time. He's been selling them off one by one. I'd imagine if he knew or thought they were fake he'd use another account and dump them all at once, not drag it out and have one person discover the first one is fake and leave bad feedback on his good account, and tipping off the rest. I contacted him and ask if he had more he could sell all at once. I also don't feel those are bad photos at all, they blow up pretty decently to zoom in. I mean they just look like typical phone photos. Not like they are so bad to try to hide anything.

Could they be fake? Sure. But he's honest right off the bat and says he has no way to verify. Probably why they are cheaper than spot. He probably knows nothing of gold coins. His Dad died and left them to him. From his Dad's collection it looks like his Dad at least knew something about Bullion, can't imagine he'd keep fakes around. (of course assuming the story is legit, which brings us back to what I originally said about his feedback and how he was selling them, plus it could be disputed in paypal at any time, don't think he wants to hassle with that).

He also was keeping 3 of the nicer ones for himself. Don't know why he'd do that if he thought they were fake. He sent me some photos of the other ones. They look a lot more rare and sell for some pretty steep premiums on ebay as far as I could tell from a quick search.

12. SilverSiren

I also checked the 1994 listing. The bamboo stalks are too thick. T be blunt I have no doubt they are fake based on my review of the listings. The below spot price should be considered an obvious red flag, I STRONGLY suggest you compare all the photos to other listings and offerings on established dealer sites. I already did for a few of them and it didn't look good.

13. Noxx

Noxx Member

The first one arrives Monday. I'll look them over real well and can post very clear photos and scans if you really like. If something isn't right I can always dispute it.

14. Noxx

Noxx Member

By the way I'm not the one who bought all those. All those others ones sold all went to different people. I bought two off ebay then the rest directly. I'd imagine that's a lot of other people who know about gold panda coins who must be looking them over too. And that's a lot more people who can check and verify and will leave bad feedback if they are not legit when they get them. I'd imagine he would have been reported too if they are so obviously fake like you think. I think you are jumping the gun a bit. But if they are not legit we'll know this week from not just me, but all the others. Then start a paypal dispute.

I did look at other pandas though and I see tons of different but close pandas just using google image search. From dealers too. So there are a lot that are very very similar but not totally alike out there. Maybe it's kind of like how we have so many different kinds of buffalo coin designs from different places? I don't know. Either way I'll have them soon to look at closer.

I gotta go get some work done on my house now.

15. Noxx

Noxx Member

I just realized we are on different pages here. I did of course realize it's not the same official panda that we see all over ebay. I thought you were trying to tell me it's fake gold. I know these are not those same exact pandas. That takes like half a second to see and is very obvious. Nobody is going to be fooled into thinking these are those same Pandas. But that doesn't mean it's not real gold. Shoot there are perfect replicas of about any coin out there if you want to fool someone. That isn't my concern. My only concern was if it's solid real gold or not. That's all I want it for. Now if you can look at these and tell me straight up you know they are not actual gold and are known non gold coins I'll be worried. Even a perfect replica can just as easily be fake Gold coins so just going off some photos is really never enough. You have to have it in your hand or buy straight from the mint to know that. But yes I always have my skeptic hat on when buying from any single person that is not the mint. And like any other coin this could very well be scam gold coins. But I wont know until I have them. But I'm very well aware of the glaring differences I see between them. But these slightly different "almost" the same coins are out there that are actual real gold.

Ok I have to finish up the work on the house then I can kick back and enjoy my Saturday.

16. Noxx

Noxx Member

All my pandas arrived today all at once. They are beautiful. Nothing seems odd at all. Not magnetic or anything so that's good lol. All the other people should be getting theirs today too. I'll keep an eye on his feedback for problems. I really don't think they are fakes though. it looks like his Dad had been collecting them for years and year and years and bought a new one every year until he died. They came in a nice capsule. And like I said I know it's not the Official pandas, I mean come on those have the 10 yuan value right on them which these are very obviously missing. Nobody trying to make scam gold is going to miss that. These are the equivalent of say an unofficial walking liberty or buffalo or eagle with no official money value on it from the government. Being less than spot doesn't automatically mean anything either. A guy on youtube I subscribe to made a video about his friend he was mad at that sold his entire collection for way less than spot because he just wanted it sold fast. Sometimes good deals come along you just have to be first to jump on them. That being said I'll look into more testing, and shoot at very worst I can always cut one in half if I have to. I will report back for sure if they are scam coins though. But right now I'm going to enjoy them and just appreciate their beauty in my collection :)

[​IMG]

17. SilverSiren

Ah, I should have read your message more thoroughly before posting, no denomination = I am done here. I would offer congratulations but I don't think they are in order unless you report back that you have had all of the coins tested, and they are each actually 1/10th oz of .999 fine gold. I will offer a "GOOD LUCK" though.

18. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting. So they made replicas of the gold pandas out of real gold? Would have thought they would have used an alloy and then gold plate them. I would recommend running them over a Precious Metal Verifier just to be sure they're gold as the seller claims. I bought a gold coin once that was not magnetic but didn't pass the Precious Metal Verifier test. No surprises since I got the coin for under spot from Romania :p

19. Noxx

Noxx Member

Oh you can be sure more testing was going to commence. But I don't mind doing it as I don't want to be scammed and everyone can learn from it.

Already did the magnet test. Was fine

I did the ping test. Seemed ok but it's hard to do with a tiny 1/10 oz coin

Did the scratch test on ceramic........ut oh. Came back black and not gold.

That was enough for me to decide to shave a small edge. Shaved a small edge.....that is not gold colored....

To prove the point even further, like I said before I'd cut the thing in half if I had too.....So.... I cut it in half.

Anybody see anything wrong with the colors? yup..... :eek:

[​IMG]

One thing that really raised a flag is that one of the coins, this 2003 didn't actually say 1/10 oz. It said just oz .999 AU. Obviously it's not an ounce. That's some poor work there. Yes there are other flags but sometimes you take a chance, you can't know for sure until you have it to test. I've gotten some pretty awesome deals on legit products before. Win some lose some. Although I guess it's possible only that one 2003 is the bad one. The rest actually say 1/10 oz. But I don't want to cut the rest open or damage them in case paypal has a problem with that when the time comes.

Paypal dispute started.

20. SilverSiren

Last pickups for October, It was not easy, but all of these we managed to score good deals on, pickings seem slim as of late, but as we go into the Holiday craze, I'm poised to pounce on some deals!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]