New Kook lacks?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by fishtaco, Oct 25, 2016.

1. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Design depth in my opinion.

Quite disappointed actually as I thought it would look much nicer than it actually does given the fence theme.

Maybe just my mood?

2. billybob888

billybob888 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You could argue that most of the kooks (all years) lacks "design depth"

3. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

Or indeed any recurring animal coin like the Somali Elephant, the Rwandan African Ounce or the Chinese Panda. All play it safe, no doubt because of the bullion status.

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

yeah, when I get funds, looks like I'm sticking with fractional gold. Nothing on the silver front inspires me. Not the PM lunar, kooks, Koala and especially the 2017 Panda (probably the worst in my opinion). The chinese are getting lazy with their bullion series. They keep the scenery the same, and change the panda a little from one angle to another, holding a branch...horrible, just horrible. I don't even think I'll be buying a single panda this year!!

5. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

And what fractional gold, friend?

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Here's my 1st impression of the 2017 PM line-up, from a few weeks ago...

Ag & Au Rooster are nice.

Au Kangaroo is nice.

The rest are crap...

I've got the Ag Rooster in-hand since then. I think it's pretty good, and glad I grabbed it.

Yeah, that Panda looks like boring garbage. Probably has quality issues again, too, like the 2016.

And bumping the mintage cap up to 10 mil?

I'll probably pass on that... Then again, never a huge Panda fan to begin with.

But that Kook is disappointing, and I typically love 'em. Odds are I'll be skipping it. At best I'll grab a couple 1-oz'ers.

What a lousy follow-up to the strong 2016. :(

P.S. b, looks like you'll have to dive into some raw Chinese medals! :D

7. fishtaco

Yes I expected the 2017 kook to stand out a bit like the 2016 but its sort of lacking something? the fence and the kooks are fine but with the blank background it looks dull and not a really good depiction of a classic aussie back yard kook scene.

Just my opinion. :)

8. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

all the kooks from 2013 are almost the same...

9. barsenault

Give me some kooks. Yum, yum. I want me some kooks. I'm kookoo for kooks. Put it this way, if I can get kooks for the same price as eagles and maples. I'm all over it. Period end of story, or around the same price range. 1 oz Lunars are out of the question. Even the 1/2 oz, 2 oz, 5 oz, are getting expensive now, sadly. I think the Perth Mint have caught on to our tricks of the trade. :-((

10. Gatito Bandito

For me, it's everything.

Don't particularly care for either of the kooks (especially the angle & relative head/body positioning of the adult), the fence AND especially the blank background.

Maybe I would change my mind enough once in-hand? Not sure. But again, only worthy of a couple 1-oz'ers, at best (then again, I'm not one to buy rolls of anything, to begin with).

11. fishtaco

I would suggest just one!,thats all I have and intend to have.

Pity as It looked better (in my opinion) before I had it in hand.

12. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Totally agree almost cartoon like some of them

13. barsenault

If one is a stacker, and if they can get the kooks for about the same price as eagles, and if they are holding long term 10 -15 years and beyond, then in my humble opinion the kooks are the way to go. Even despite the comments of cartoon looking, lacking depth, corny, etal...I say that for a couple reason, and eBay sales history of all the other kooks that folks are making fun of, prove my case. 1. Yearly change. 2. Relatively low mintage (500k vs millions). Since so many dislike these, maybe they won't sell out. I doubt it, but who knows. I look at the past kooks, and they are nowhere near spot, but eagles? Most are close to spot (2.99+). So, I think kooks are a good place to store one's wealth if they stack.

Again, all this is predicated on getting a good price for them. I think the Lunars are pricing themselves out of the game of stacking (for me anyway).

Gaaaaaaaatito! Yes sir, always raw Chinese medals. The best in the world.

14. Gatito Bandito

And yet ASE's are arguably that much more liquid.

Trust me, there are plenty of cheap-asses out there who only buy stuff with-- and only expect to pay -- really low premiums.

15. barsenault

Not sure I agree. I can sell rolls kooks in their perth mint wrap for a really good price, and pretty easy...so, I'm not sure I see your point? I have a liquid coin at higher prices, when the spot price is in the sh*tter. Eagles, not so much.

16. fishtaco

You are looking at it from a selling gain point of view I personally commented from a collector point of view. I only ever buy one Kook one Koala and 2 ASE,s from each year. You may well say I am better off buying 2 extra kooks instead of the ASE,s but I actually like ASE,s. :)

I only have one of each kook koala and 2 ASE,s and am not into speculating future price/values of mass produced silver bullion coins,I should have stuck to low premium silver bars and took much more notice of house,s introduction to stacking but I got roped in on the coins and chasing back dates so I will now continue.

I agree kooks will be advertised on the future market at a much higher premium than some other bullion coins but the price gotten depends on if people are actually willing to buy them at that higher premium. If sellers and flippers had to pay income tax on earnings from the likes of ebay (which could happen) then they are unlikely to get there expected future profits from other coin sellers/flippers. This is why I have always believed buying of Lunas especially with high secondary premium other than for collecting is lunacy.

17. Gatito Bandito

Not saying Kooks aren't liquid, just that at least in the US, ASE's are a *heck* of a lot more liquid. Doesn't matter to whom or where or when you're selling them, regardless of spot.

Believe me, there are *tons* of low-premium stackers -- not collectors -- out there. They'll gobble up common stuff like tubes or bags of 90% junk, tubes of ASE's or generic rounds, or handfuls of 1-oz, 5-oz & 10-oz generic bars, like there's no tomorrow.

They are accumulating the metal. They want ounces, and it's never enough.

Of course, they want liquid, *low-premium* ounces. Because lower premium means, to them, anyway, that they can buy that many more ounces.

Semi-numi means absolute nothing to them. They look at stuff like Kooks as a total waste of $$. Not saying they're right or wrong, but just stating the obvious.

And just because these stackers aren't highly visible -- meaning, they won't be making & you won't be watching their YouTube vids -- doesn't mean they're not out there in very large numbers.

18. barsenault

Amen brother, they can have the stuff. Lol. I won't be fighting them for it. :D

19. Gatito Bandito

Well, they certainly aren't lacking quality issues, anyway. :mad:

Got a couple of the 1-oz'ers, just for the heck of it.

Not bad. Definitely not my favorite Kook. And if I weren't a big Kook fan, overall, I might not have even bothered. But still a Kook, nonetheless. It's... okay, in-hand.

Will be skipping any larger sizes, though. The 2017 design just isn't worth it, IMO.

Of course, which leads me to this...

For the 2nd year in a row for me, there are quality issues with the Kooks! Different dealer, too.

One coin is fine. The other? Some sort of quite noticeable large "smear" on the old-bird side (QEII). Doesn't look like a milk-smear, per se, but maybe some sort of die polish? Hard to tell, even under a 5x loupe.

Hate doing it, and I do let some things slide sometimes, but in this case it's bad enough that this one is going back for an exchange. Luckily the large dealer I bought it from is cool with those. Just a pain -- which *shouldn't* have to be done in the 1st place! Dammit, Perth! You make some pretty cool coins sometimes, but why do ya gotta mess it up with the lousy quality?? :mad:

Yeah, maybe I should just start buying rolls instead of singles, eh? That way I don't have to look at that crap! :rolleyes:

Or better yet, how about I simply forego my Kook purchases altogether. Did I mention this is the 2nd year in a row now?? Should have stuck to my gut from last year.

P.S. Does anybody know when the 2018's will be out? :D ;)